Help: Running a SLIP server using DIP

Post by Dean Pove » Tue, 10 Jan 1995 10:12:33

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I couldn't find any answers
in the usual places.

I am attempting to set up a server to allow people to dial in to
my linux box using slip.  I have got it working using diplogin to the
point where I can see the connection, and if I add a route for the
slip line I can ping the remote machine from my linux box.  However
all packets from the remote machine get dropped (this includes pings).

When I send something from the remote machine the Rx modem light
flashes on the linux box but nothing seems to happen.  I am using
Chamelon TCP sampler to log on to the box.  I have also checked to
make sure there are no TCP wrappers and this seems ok.

Suggestions anyone?

Dean Povey.

1. Help with SLIP server setup in Linux using DIP

I am connecting my win95 machine to my Linux box using SLIP. To do
this I have set up a new "slipuser" account and set its login shell to
/sbin/diplogin (I tried setting it to /sbin/dip -i as it says in the
man page but it didn't work). Once I had done this, I could login from
Win95 using SLIP, and I could ping the win95 machine from Linux but I
couldn't reach the linux machine from win95. This got me stomped at
first, then I noticed that I had to do a "ifconfig 192.168.0.1
pointopoint 192.168.0.2 up"  in order to get the link working because
ifconfig reported that sl0 wasn't being set up to pointopoint.
192.168.0.1 is Linux the other is Win95. I also had to "route add
192.168.0.2 because DIP didn't add it itself. Well, I am a newbie at
Linux and networking in general, but from the  DIP man page I thought
that DIP should do the above by itself. Is there a way to set up the
link correctly with the above commands automatically once a SLIP
connection has been made?

My setup is the following :

- Linux version is Slackware 2 with kernel version 1.1.18 (Old, I
know. I intend to get the latest)
-DIP version is 3.3.7
- I am dialing in on ttyS1 using a null-modem cable.
- I also have a loopback device configured

Thanks for the help!

Etienne

2. (none)

3. SLIP and DIP only reaches slip server, help!

4. Solaris Study Guides

5. SLIP DIP Server won't run

6. how is that possible?

7. SLIP server using dip

8. Compiling XF86-3.3.5

9. Dial back using dip as slip server

10. Problems setting up a SLIP-server using DIP

11. Need help running Mosaic 2.4 across SLIP/DIP line

12. NEED HELP w/ getting SLIP using DIP

13. need help using dip for SLIP connection