Linux and MS Exchange Server

Post by joshua900 » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Michael,

It depends on how the Exchange Server is configured.  If it is set up as a
POP3 server and has a way through the firewall, you just need to know your
organization's external POP3 address (or hostname), and insert that
information into whatever email program you run on Linux.

The only situation I can think of where an Exchange server would not have
POP3 access would be an all-Microsoft network with no connection to the
Internet...

joshua9000

> Hi guys,
> I am pretty new to Linux, using RH, and I am curious to know whether
> there is any way I can connect to my corporate Exchange server to get my
> mail and any other features Exchange provides.
> Please help.

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. Rejecting packets from a given domain

3. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

4. High speed disk i/o

5. Linux and MS Exchange Server

6. Award Winning 120MB Drive

7. HELP: Linux replacement for MS Exchange server? $

8. Word Processors for X ??

9. Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

10. Linux client to MS exchange server

11. Creating a glbal address list with a linux server and MS Win95 Clients with Exchange

12. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

13. URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server