"init_module: Device or resource busy" problem with PCI 10/100 Network Card

"init_module: Device or resource busy" problem with PCI 10/100 Network Card

Post by Chang Li » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a PCI 10/100 Network card from Network Everywhere. I'm trying to make it
work under Slackware 7.0 (I use the bigslack, which runs on a FAT32 partition.)

I ran modprobe and got this:
#modprobe tulip
/lib/modules/2.2.13/net/tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Does anyone know what this message means? I don't even know where to start to
solve this problem.

I start linux by "loadlin.exe" in MS-DOS mode. I don't think this matters but
am not sure.

Thanks!

--
Chang Liu

"init_module: Device or resource busy" problem with PCI 10/100 Network Card

Post by Malwar » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Chang,

> I have a PCI 10/100 Network card from Network Everywhere. I'm trying to make it
> work under Slackware 7.0 (I use the bigslack, which runs on a FAT32 partition.)

> I ran modprobe and got this:
> #modprobe tulip
> /lib/modules/2.2.13/net/tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

What does make you think it is an DEC-Chip based card as supported by
the tulip driver? Which messages you can find in /var/log/* related to
/proc/scsi"?

Quote:> Does anyone know what this message means? I don't even know where to start to
> solve this problem.

It's the result of a general error code returned by the modules
initialisation routine. This error will be reported when ever the module
could not locate a supported device or is unable to initialize it in
first place. It will not report more verbosly to the console since it
can only return an integer error-code to the module loader.

Quote:> I start linux by "loadlin.exe" in MS-DOS mode. I don't think this matters but
> am not sure.

This does not matter here but is especially of interest for ISA PnP
cards which might have gotten initialized by Windows before Linux comes
into the game.

Malware

1. 3com 10/100 3c905b PCI card "inactive" status is Redhat 6.0

I can't get my 3com PCI 10/100 3c90b TX to stay Active. I click on the
active button, then hit save, then quit. Go back in and it says inactive.
The LO always stays active.
Obviuosly can't ping the network, only the loopback IP.
Any ideas? If I need an updated driver, how do I get it copied to the Linux
pc, if all I have is another 95 and nt box?
I'm using the 3c59x driver in linuxconfig.

Please help with ideas!

2. Unix Question

3. 3com 3c509b 10/100 PCI card "inactive" status in Redhar 6.0

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 4 of 6)

5. Kernel building w/ 10/100 "SVEC" Card?

6. log/messages and dmesg analysis help needed

7. init_module: Device or resource busy? Dlink 530TX card...

8. simple getgid question

9. how to kill "mt" or make "/dev/rmt/..." device NOT BUSY?

10. Linksys/tulip: "Device or resource busy"

11. Unable to use serial terminal: "Device or resource busy"

12. What does "device or resource busy" mean ?

13. SB Live on Asus A7V , Red Hat 7.0 error "device or resource busy"