PPP dial in --- won't even dial

Post by William B. McMilla » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
        I got Linux a couple days ago to learn about unix in general and love
this operating system.  I am having one problem though.  I can't dial in
to my Internet access provider using pppd.  I have Slackware ver. 3.0
and the pppd package that came with it.  Occasionally the lights on my
modem light up, but it never dials (and yes, I did include an ATDT
command...).  In a couple of weeks I'll be going to college where it
won't be a problem to set up my network card, but I still would like to
know how to do this for in the summer time.  If anyone has any ideas,
please post or e-mail me.  Thanks.
Bret McMillan

1. PPP problems - "Dial on Demand" won't dial

I've installed FreeBsd 2.1.6 with an NE2000 Ethernet card (to access
other computers on my LAN) and a modem.  All is working fine for
manually dialing out. However, when I execute

ppp -auto e  (where 'e' is the name of a profile in ppp.conf)

ppp loads fine and appears to wait for requests.

(I've also examined the latest scripts as suggested by an earilier

However, when I go to look for things outside my domain, ppp does not
automatically dial up my ISP.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Darren

2. Still no panel HELP

3. PPP on G3PB (Wallstreet) won't even dial?

4. FS Rocketport serial controller

5. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

6. HELP: Tape not recognized

7. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

8. pic programmer that works under linux

9. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

10. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

11. wvdial won't dial, Kermit dials, Please help

12. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?