Making 3C509B ethernet card working

Post by Amnon Krupn » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Could anybody explain to me how can I make my 3C509B ethernet card working without getting
into recompiling a kernel or such?

Post by Gary Hest » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Could anybody explain to me how can I make my 3C509B ethernet card working without getting
>into recompiling a kernel or such?

Either:

        Get someone else to compile a kernel for you;

or

        Pick up a kernel that already has 3c509b support compiled in.

You should also make sure you have Plug-n-Play disabled in the
card, otherwise all the kernels in the world won't help.

Gary

--

   The Chairman of the Board and the CFO speak for SCI. I'm neither.
"I told the guys they ought to design a calculator to fit in my shirt

Making 3C509B ethernet card working

Post by Josef Erba » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Re: Making 3C509B ethernet card working

The driver 3c509.c can be obtained via anonymous ftp at
cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov, located in /pub/linux/setup. I changed it with
the old 3c509.c and recompiled the kernel. The 3C509B works fine.

Josef

Making 3C509B ethernet card working

Post by Chriskre » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Did you have any luck getting your card to work.  I can't get it to work
either.  Please let me know if you get it going.

Thanks

Chris Krebs
Chris Krebs
Systems Architect
Omaha, NE

Making 3C509B ethernet card working

Post by Ian Smit » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hve you disabled the Plug and Play 'feature'?

Ian

Post by Derek Wildst » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Did you have any luck getting your card to work.  I can't get it to work
: either.  Please let me know if you get it going.
:

I havn't had any problems with my card.  Here are the steps I
followed:

1) install the card (uh duh)
2) recompile the kernel with 3c509 support
3) go into DOS, run the configure utility and set your IRQ and i/o,
   also run it with another 3c509 util on another machine if possible
   to make sure the card works properly.  AND MAKE SURE PLUG-N-PLAY IS
   DISABLED.  If you don't disable plug-and-play the card will work
   fine until you load windoze95 then win95 will mess up your irq and
   i/o settings (at least that's what happened to me)
4) reboot linux
5) configure your ethernet device (probably add to rc.inet1 also)
   /sbin/ifconfig eth0 andromeda netmask 255.255.255.240 broadcast 204.122.18.95 up
   /sbin/route add -net 204.122.18.80 eth0
   /sbin/route add default gw argo

   Of course this info is specific to my hosts and net, you'll need to
replace 'argo' with your gateway, and 'andromeda' with your computer's
IP address.  I'm not sure if this is exactly what you needed, but it
worked for me =)

--

This message is not to be sent over the Microsoft Network.
   SCAN SCAN SCAN!!  $10 up to 10, $.50 each thereafter

1. 3c509B ethernet card WILL NOT WORK.......HELP PLEASE!

Please help me!

I have a question about transmitting errors that are generated by my ethernet card.  I have a 3com 509B etherlink III card, and I have no idea why its doing this.  I'll get the following error message:

eth0: transmit timed out, Tx status 00 status 2000 Tx FIFO Room 1528

Note that the 1528 is not the only number that shows.  I'll also get 1328, 1396, 1444, 1404, 1308, 1496, and 1360, to name a few.  I posted a similar message a few days ago, but I've had one email response.  He said to look in the /etc/inetd.conf file and uncomment the netbios lines for running samba.  Unfortunately, I don't run samba, so I am beginning to think its an error with the card itself.  All relative files (ie resolv.conf, hosts, DNS numbers, IP numbers, etc) are correct.  Please, I have no idea what else to do.  I can ping myself, the localhost, but that's it.  I can't ping my gateway or anything else on the outside.

AFAIK the card is detected during boot.  I get proper IRQ and hardware addresses.  I am running Redhat 4.2 with kernel 2.0.30.  The 3c509 module is built in because I didn't want to leave anything to chance.  Does this mean PnP is still enabled?  Win95 was able to use it without any problems.  However, Win95 isn't on the computer anymore.

One other thing, I am unable to download anything on my computer from the internet, so therefore I can't get the 3c5*9 v1.14 update.  I would like to use a floppy disk but I can't get that to work either, and that's a whole different bag.....

So, in summary, I need a way to fix this problem with the ethernet card myself, without having to download updated drivers or anything else.  I know someone has had this problem before......Please, let me know.

Thanks....
rob

2. S3 Savage 4 shipset specs

3. Anyone made a 3Com 3C905-TX PCI Ethernet card work?

4. X libraries...

5. ethernet card problems (3c509b)

6. preempt-related hangs

7. Troubles setting up network with 3com 3c509b ethernet card

8. Disaster recovery info

9. 2.0.36 3c509b ethernet card disappearance. Fixes?

10. troubles with installation 3c509B Ethernet card

11. 3C509B-COMBO Ethernet Card Problem

12. dual ethernet card problems (3c509b)

13. Help: Networking with 3c509b ethernet card