SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

Post by Colin Wall » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00



I have just installed an SMC 1211TX 10/100 baseT network card on the
assumption that it would emulate an Ultra card. Unfortunately this does
not appear to be so. I can't get Linux to recognise it at all, neither
can I get it to emulate anything else.

Has anyone else got one of these cards or got any clue as to how I can
get it to work under Linux?

--
Colin Walls

Web: http://www.murorum.demon.co.uk
Phone: 01625 535123

 
 
 

SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

Post by Donald Beck » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00




Quote:>I have just installed an SMC 1211TX 10/100 baseT network card on the
>assumption that it would emulate an Ultra card. Unfortunately this does
>not appear to be so. I can't get Linux to recognise it at all, neither
>can I get it to emulate anything else.

SMC is no longer the same company that produced the SMC Ultra and EPIC.  The
chip design part is called SMSC, and the SMC brand name is being put on
low-end OEM boards.

The 1211 board is a RealTek rtl8139 with a new label and a modified EEPROM.
It's supported by
   http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html

BTW, I've gotten reports that 8139 boards are $13 this week at Frys.  They
aren't the best 10/100 boards, despite being a bus master board the driver
must copy almost every packet, but they are far better than a PCI NE2000!

Quote:>Has anyone else got one of these cards or got any clue as to how I can
>get it to work under Linux?

Installation instructions:
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/modules.html
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/rtl8139.c

--

USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html

 
 
 

SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

Post by Ken Deete » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Hmmm I tried this.. but i still can't get it to work. I get the error,
"Device or resource busy"

I tried passing the "ehter" parameter to the kernel.. but I can't figure
out which parameters to give it. Under win98, the card shows up as
having IRQ12, memrange E2000000-E200007F, and io range of 6400-647f.

How do these translate into the values i need to send to the kernel?

Thanks,

-Ken Deeter            




> >I have just installed an SMC 1211TX 10/100 baseT network card on the
> >assumption that it would emulate an Ultra card. Unfortunately this does
> >not appear to be so. I can't get Linux to recognise it at all, neither
> >can I get it to emulate anything else.

> SMC is no longer the same company that produced the SMC Ultra and EPIC.  The
> chip design part is called SMSC, and the SMC brand name is being put on
> low-end OEM boards.

> The 1211 board is a RealTek rtl8139 with a new label and a modified EEPROM.
> It's supported by
>    http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html

> BTW, I've gotten reports that 8139 boards are $13 this week at Frys.  They
> aren't the best 10/100 boards, despite being a bus master board the driver
> must copy almost every packet, but they are far better than a PCI NE2000!

> >Has anyone else got one of these cards or got any clue as to how I can
> >get it to work under Linux?

> Installation instructions:
>   http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/modules.html
>   ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/rtl8139.c

> --

> USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
> Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
> 301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html

 
 
 

SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

Post by Jeffrey D. Ang » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00



>Can you alias with different IP segments??
>for example
>200.2.8.10 and 209.128.134.122

Yes...

Of course, it requires the right stuff being compiled into the kernel.

However, once that's attended to...

ifconfig eth0 209.108.190.97
ifconfig eth0:1 44.16.0.205
ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.1

route add 209.108.190.98 eth0
route add 44.16.0.141 eth0:1
route add 10.0.0.2 eth0:1

And so forth.

Jeff

--
--


 US Mail: 15900 Crenshaw Blvd. Suite G533 |  potent god. I see it more as a
    Gardena, CA 90249-4823 (310) 253-0929 |  badly run corporation."

 
 
 

SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

Post by Eric Lee Gre » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00



>Hmmm I tried this.. but i still can't get it to work. I get the error,
>"Device or resource busy"

Usually when you see this message it means that the interrupt
allocated for the network card is already in use by some other device
on the system.  While Linux is capable of doing shared interrupts, the
drivers must be written to explicitly support shared
interrupts. Donald Becker's drivers, alas, are not. (Which isn't necessarily
a bad thing... the DE4x5 driver is written to explicitly support shared
interrupts, but it has a bad tendency to chew up interrupts that should
have gone to the other device, meaning, well, SCSI bus errors if the
other device was a SCSI card, for example).

--

"To call Microsoft an innovator is like calling the Pope Jewish ..."
            -- James Love (Consumer Project on Technology)

 
 
 

SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

Post by Donald Beck » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00





>>Hmmm I tried this.. but i still can't get it to work. I get the error,
>>"Device or resource busy"

Read
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irq-conflict.html

Quote:>Usually when you see this message it means that the interrupt
>allocated for the network card is already in use by some other device
>on the system.  While Linux is capable of doing shared interrupts, the
>drivers must be written to explicitly support shared
>interrupts. Donald Becker's drivers, alas, are not. (Which isn't necessarily

This is completely wrong!

All of my PCI drivers are written to support shared interrupts.

I implemented the first Linux implementation of shared interrupts as a
loadable module, and several of my drivers supported this interface using a
compile-time option before Linus implemented a different scheme.

Quote:>a bad thing... the DE4x5 driver is written to explicitly support shared
>interrupts, but it has a bad tendency to chew up interrupts that should
>have gone to the other device, meaning, well, SCSI bus errors if the
>other device was a SCSI card, for example).

The SCSI drivers are usually the problem.  Many are written to use the
SA_INTERRUPT flag which has semantics incompatible with the correct use of
shared interrupt lines.

--

USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html

 
 
 

1. RH 5.2 & SMC 1211TX PCI Ethernet Card

Hello:

Linux newbie here....installing a network is...interesting...

My problem: I'm using a SMC  1211TX Plug and Play PCI card and couldn't get
it to work with any of the SMC drivers available in the RH  5.2
installation.  Any recommendations?  From reading this news group I'm aware
that most cards support the NE2000 spec in some form or another but am
unaware of how to begin and the idea of recompiling the kernel is not too
appealing to a Linux newbie. (*Really New - I consider myself almost and
expert in NT and I feen  I haven't even begun to harness the potential of
Linux.)

Thanks in advance.

2. VA - Wanted Senior Unix Software Design Engineer

3. Linux does not work with SMC 1211tx PCI nic card

4. Longshot Cobalt Question

5. Driver for SMC-1211TX EZ Card?

6. i aM eLiTe!!!! gIvE mE wArEz D00dZ!!!!!!!!!!

7. Driver for SMC 1211TX FastEthernet card

8. Want to build a portable fileserver to serve Win/MacOS - reasons

9. SMC 83c795 (EtherEZ) and SMC Ultra driver

10. Western SMC EtherEZ cards

11. Help on SMC-EtherEZ card, please

12. SMC EtherEZ network card troubles...

13. SMC EtherEZ PC Card