automounting?

Post by Heather Flanaga » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to find out if linux has automout capabilities.  I have been
able to find an old patch/hack for a BSD automountd, but since that goes
back to September of 1995, I am not sure I want to put that on  our
systems.

any suggestions?

-heather f.

automounting?

Post by Jay Painte » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

AMD is a * old beast, but it's the only option for automounting on
Linux.  Here's a few tips to make it work:

*Make sure you're running 2.0+ kernel with libc 5.4.x

*Use the Debian distribution of AMD.  They have been patching a older
version of AMD, before some patches that really screwed it up.

*Start with file maps, then move up to NIS maps if you need to.  Caching
on NIS maps causes ls's in your automount directory to scramble the
names of all your files, even though cd's and the like still work.
Start it with the option -cache:=none.

You will get errors like: bad nfs_stat_to_errno: 116 when you do a ls in
the automount directory.  Ignore it.  I know it's annoying.
------------
Jay Painter

automounting?

Post by Andreas Soll » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I also have problems with the amd. Perhaps you can give me some hints.
The situation is as follows:
We have one server (Sparc Solaris) and some Sparc clients. They mount
many filesystems with automount from the server. Now I have set up a
linux box which I want to mount some of the filesystems, too
(home-dirs). The users homes are located on the server in 4 directories
/export/home0, /export/home1, /export/home2, /export/home3.
I want them to be mounted on my linux box under /athome/<user>.
As I understand it, AMD is not able to use NIS MAPS that are distributed
by the SUN-server, so want to use a local file map. I think, it is not
that difficult, but I have no experiences with automount/amd.

Thanks for any help.

Quote:> AMD is a * old beast, but it's the only option for automounting on
> Linux.  Here's a few tips to make it work:

> *Make sure you're running 2.0+ kernel with libc 5.4.x

> *Use the Debian distribution of AMD.  They have been patching a older
> version of AMD, before some patches that really screwed it up.

> *Start with file maps, then move up to NIS maps if you need to.  Caching
> on NIS maps causes ls's in your automount directory to scramble the
> names of all your files, even though cd's and the like still work.
> Start it with the option -cache:=none.

> You will get errors like: bad nfs_stat_to_errno: 116 when you do a ls in
> the automount directory.  Ignore it.  I know it's annoying.
> ------------
> Jay Painter

automounting?

Post by David Mansfiel » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I'm trying to find out if linux has automout capabilities.  I have been
> able to find an old patch/hack for a BSD automountd, but since that goes
> back to September of 1995, I am not sure I want to put that on  our
> systems.

> any suggestions?

> -heather f.

I have been using amd-upl02 with the linux patch for months.  On one
machine it misteriously disappeared once (segfault???).  These are
heavily used machines though and I think it is very stable.  There are a
few peculiarities (such as I get some stuff in the log file having to do
with an error code returned by amd not understood by the kernel).
Anyway, it's great, works perfectly.  Check out one of the NET-Howto's
there's a section describing installation and use.

David Mansfield

1. automount reading sun's automount file or NIS map

Is there any automount program for linux that can use automount file
or NIS map used in Sun's automount?

We have a linux PC that we'd like to take advantage of the department
NIS, but so far the only automount I could find was 'amd', which
didn't understand auto.home file used in suns.

Since I'm not a sysadmin for the NIS server, and we have mostly suns and
hps, it wouldn't be practical to ask the sysadmin to administer another
NIS map just for amd running in linux.

Any relevant suggestion is welcome.

2. How to use kcharselect applet

3. automount needs automount?

4. help on ASCII - BINARY FORMAT!

5. HELP! w/ automount or amd: how to automount "directly"?

6. Client certificates without SSL

7. RH 6.0, automount NFS exported disks?

8. NEC Zip 100 probelm

9. GNU install program and Solaris automount file systems

10. automount CD-ROM?

11. automount bug?

12. automount errors

13. probs with pcnfsd and automount