pppd ????

Post by IHXO » Mon, 20 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me why I get this message whenever I try to start pppd
???
I don't remeber excatly what the error message is... .. (just similiar
..........)

This system lacks ppp deamon support

is there any problem with my options file or any other related files ???

pppd ????

Post by IHXO » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me why I get this message whenever I try to start pppd
> ???
> I don't remeber excatly what the error message is... .. (just similiar
> ..........)

> This system lacks ppp deamon support

> is there any problem with my options file or any other related files ???

the correct one ...........
  Sorry: this system lacks PPP kernel support

pppd ????

Re-compile your kernel with PPP support.

--

Regards

Simon Murcott
    Computer Consultant (He who does what others are too scared to do)
                     Department of Resource and Environmental Planning
                                 Massey University, Private Bag 11 222
                                         Palmerston North, New Zealand

pppd ????

Post by Daniel Kiracof » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Re-compile your kernel with PPP support.
> > the correct one ...........
> >   Sorry: this system lacks PPP kernel support

 Another possibility is that your kernel is 2.x or later,
while your version of pppd was built for a 1.x kernel (or
possbily vice versa).  If you have a 2.x kernel, make sure
you have the latest pppd.

--
/* Daniel */

WWW: http://users.gurulink.com/drk

"Fear is only afraid of the absence of itself."  - Mediocrates

pppd ????

Post by Andrew Lee » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>>>   Sorry: this system lacks PPP kernel support
>>Re-compile your kernel with PPP support.
>It should not be necessary to recompile the kernel as long as it is
> You can use kerneld
>to load the appropriate module. In the Slackware distribution you need
>to check the file /etc/rc.d/rc.S, near the end you should see the
>lines:

[snipped & rearranged]

I got the same message at one point on my Debian system, though I knew
I'd compiled in the ppp module and it was getting insmod'd.
Dejanews produced this:

-Subject:      Re: PPP problem

-Date:         1997/09/02

-Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.networking
-
-I had this problem yesterday (first time setting up PPP). Even recompiled
-the kernel twice (took hours).
-
-Even double checked that kerneld was loaded.
-
-The problem, I found later, was related to the comm port setting. I had
-gpm using com1 (or ttyS0) and the modem was also on com1. So I had to
-edit the gpm config to assume a mouse on com2. After that everything worked.
-
-I used the ppp-on and ppp-off scripts from Netcom (www.netcom.com, look for
-knowledge base and look for linux). The only problem with the netcom script
-for ppp-on was that you couldn't do ppp-off. Adding an 'exec' solved that
-problem.
-
-I use Debian and everything else was more or less installed for me. Just
-had to install ppp2.2.x. Didn't need to explicitly install chat or diald.
-
-Hope that helps.
-
-Ben

I too found I had tried to start up pppd on the wrong tty line, so check
before you go recompiling the kernel!

Email: a dotte leech atte uea dotte ac dotte uk - U-no-Y!
Andrew Leech                 *All opinions personal
Biological Sciences          *
University of East Anglia    *If you don't like it,
Norwich, UK                  *    don't eat it.

pppd ????

Post by Randy Coop » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:03:34 +1300, Simon Murcott

>Re-compile your kernel with PPP support.

It should not be necessary to recompile the kernel as long as it is
new enough to support modules and was originally compiled
appropriately.

>> > Can anyone tell me why I get this message whenever I try to start pppd
>> > ???
>> > I don't remeber excatly what the error message is... .. (just similiar
>> > ..........)

>> > This system lacks ppp deamon support

>> > is there any problem with my options file or any other related files ???

>> the correct one ...........
>>   Sorry: this system lacks PPP kernel support

Before chaning any of the files specified below BACK THEM UP.

I got the exact same message this evening using the Slackware 3.3
distribution, which is based on the 2.0.30 kernel. It simply means
that PPP support was not compiled into the kernel. You can use kerneld
to load the appropriate module. In the Slackware distribution you need
to check the file /etc/rc.d/rc.S, near the end you should see the
lines:

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
fi

These lines are required to "execute" the "modules" script. Notice
that the script MUST be executable. If not change its permission to
executable.

In the file /etc/rc.d/rc.modules find the lines:

if [ -x /sbin/kerneld ]; then
  /sbin/kerneld
fi

If there is a # at the beginning of each line remove it. This will
allow kernel to do its thing. While you're editing this file find the
line:
  /sbin/modprobe ppp
If there is a leading # remove the #.

You may want to comment out some other lines that may specify modules
you won't use or that are already compiled into the kernel.

Reboot and the message should go away and you should be able to bring
up pppd and ping the world (I was able to)!

If you are not using Slackware I hope this is sufficient for you to
figure out what to do for your distribution.

>--

>Regards

>Simon Murcott
>    Computer Consultant (He who does what others are too scared to do)
>                     Department of Resource and Environmental Planning
>                                 Massey University, Private Bag 11 222
>                                         Palmerston North, New Zealand

pppd ????

Post by Brian Crowle » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> >> the correct one ...........
> >>   Sorry: this system lacks PPP kernel support

> Before chaning any of the files specified below BACK THEM UP.

> I got the exact same message this evening using the Slackware 3.3
> distribution, which is based on the 2.0.30 kernel. It simply means

When I was playing around, I occasionally got this message when the
modem was open for use my something else - minicom, in my case, running
but not online...
Just my $.02
-Brian Crowley

pppd ????

Post by Peter Janse » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

> > Before chaning any of the files specified below BACK THEM UP.

> > I got the exact same message this evening using the Slackware 3.3
> > distribution, which is based on the 2.0.30 kernel. It simply means
> When I was playing around, I occasionally got this message when the
> modem was open for use my something else - minicom, in my case, running
> but not online...
> Just my $.02
> -Brian Crowley

i got this problem when using ttys1 instead of modem as device .....
So try /dev/modem in your config files instead of ttys1 or 0.