QoS script wanted / jdg-qos questions

Post by Strin » Thu, 05 May 2005 08:02:38

Hi, im interested in getting a decent QoS script for linux as im now
using it as a router instead of a hardware based solution.

Ive looked around and havent really found a huge amount of clear
information or resources on this.

A bit of background, im running debian, kernel 2.6.11, iptables 2.3.0
and have applied the qnet patches for QoS.  All this compiled ok,
rebooted and works.

The linux box has 2 interaces:- ppp0 being the external facing interface
and eth0 for the LAN.  Basically i want QoS applied solely to ppp0.

The slight difference to "normal" in my system is im running "multi-nat"
in that i have a /29 subnet allocated to me and a specific lan IP maps
to a specific external IP, example:
internal > external
192.168.1.1 > 1.2.3.1
192.168.1.2 > 1.2.3.2
192.168.1.3 > 1.2.3.3 and so on.

Im doing the multi NAT via iptables.  For each address ive mapped it
using the following:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 1.2.3.1 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.1 -j SNAT --to 1.2.3.1

Im not sure if the above effects QoS hence mentioning it.

I found "jdg-qos" script via google and mentioned on this newsgroup so
decided to try it.  Although the script produces 1 error (modprobe cant
find module IMQ) i dont think this is an issue as IMQ is compiled into
the kernel.  The script itself other than that appears to run without
any other errors at all.

However, it doesnt appear to actually do anything at all.  Some tests
seem to show me getting the same ICMP ping times both with and without
the script whilst testing things such as full upload, full downloading,
mixture of both and so on.

Am i missing anything critical here in this script to get it working?  I
assume i should see lower ping times and so on when using it than
without (for example with P2P uploading at full speed) ?  Would my
multi-NAT setup above confuse it in some way?

As far as i can tell ive set it up correctly, specific both interfaces,
specified 80% of my bandwidth for their speed, selected NAT=1 and so on.

Failing that does anyone know of other pre-written effective QoS scripts
to work on linux ?

Does anyone have details or examples of how to set up iptables "real
time" rule in this jdg-script ?

QoS script wanted / jdg-qos questions

Post by Alexander Cloute » Sat, 07 May 2005 00:50:30

Hi,

Quote:> [snipped]

> I found "jdg-qos" script via google and mentioned on this newsgroup so
> decided to try it.  Although the script produces 1 error (modprobe cant
> find module IMQ) i dont think this is an issue as IMQ is compiled into
> the kernel.  The script itself other than that appears to run without
> any other errors at all.

Thats because the fools decided it was a good idea to stop this being a
module (for now :-/ )  I have a few other 'grudges' against the IMQ
developers but thats a rant I will save for another day :-/

Apparently, when I was flicking around their site, someone has added module
support back to IMQ so you should be okay.

Meanwhile I have not gotten around to finishing my latest version.  I have
done a bunch of things and finally worked out a good way to put HTB/GRED/ESFQ
all together.  The new script should be able to do realtime (VoIP, stream
radio, etc) far better than the last scripts.

Quote:> However, it doesnt appear to actually do anything at all.  Some tests
> seem to show me getting the same ICMP ping times both with and without
> the script whilst testing things such as full upload, full downloading,
> mixture of both and so on.

well duh, you did get a rather critical error; the whole script depends on
IMQ.

Cheers

Alex (aka Mr Jim diGriz)

Quote:> Am i missing anything critical here in this script to get it working?  I