Ethernet Network + Modem autodial on command?

Ethernet Network + Modem autodial on command?

Post by Us » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am setting up a 3 computer network in my house. 1 win98se 1 win2000 and 1
mandrake 7.0.  What I want to do is 1st link them all with ethernet cards, I
know how to do this.  Then I want to use my linux computer to do all of the
dialing in to my isp with a 56k modem.  What I need to know is what do I
use, and will linux automatically dial into the internet when one of the
windows computers try to access the internet?  How does it know when to
disconnect from the interent? And is there anything special i need to do in
win98 or 2000 to do this?  Everyones help is gratefully apreatiated.

Dereck

Post by Frank Ha » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I am setting up a 3 computer network in my house. 1 win98se 1 win2000 and 1
>mandrake 7.0.  What I want to do is 1st link them all with ethernet cards, I
>know how to do this.  Then I want to use my linux computer to do all of the
>dialing in to my isp with a 56k modem.  What I need to know is what do I
>use, and will linux automatically dial into the internet when one of the
>windows computers try to access the internet?  How does it know when to
>disconnect from the interent? And is there anything special i need to do in
>win98 or 2000 to do this?  Everyones help is gratefully apreatiated.

There are a couple of ways to do this.  I prefer using the diald package.
Others probably prefer installing a newer version of the ppp demon which
supports on-demand-dialing.

I have a three computer network.  A 486 running Slackware, a 586 running
Windows 95, and a Sun Sparc 20 running Solaris.  The Linux machine did have
the diald package running on it until I just recently got a cablemodem.

Another package to look at might be the dialmon package.  It runs a demon
on the Linux machine that monitors the diald demon.  There is a client
program that is included that runs on Windows 95/98 and Windows 3.1.  You
can then use this program to bring up and then take down the link to
your ISP.

Another way of doing the same thing is to install an Xwindow server
on your Windows machines.  You can then run the dctrl script included
with the diald package.  You need to have tcl/tk installed on your Linux
machine for this script to run.

--
Frank Hahn

Hatred, n.:
        A sentiment appropriate to the occasion of another's
superiority.

1. Autodial network modem?

Question:
Is it possible to autodial a modem from UNIX if it is connected directly
to the network and not to a port on a UNIX box?

The solution I have read about (Sys Admin, March/April UUCP+Pager =
Automated Warning System) assumes that the modem is local to some UNIX box.
My problem is that I don't have a modem connected to a tty. I must telnet
to reach it.

Manualy I can:

#connect to the modem
telnet {hostname of modem}
#place the call
ATDT {phone#},,,,,,{error_code}
#issue hangup request
ATH
#break telnet connection
^]
#exit telnet
quit

This works because I wait for the call to be made before issuing the hangup.
Put it in a shell script and it hangs up before dialing.  There seems to be
no way to tell the script to wait for the dial to complete, and no 'sleep'
command to pause before the hangup request.  As I figure 'telnet' is a dead
end.  So... Is there a method for doing something like:

#make connection to modem
{open a 'pipe' to the modem}
#place the call
{send dial command}
#pause for the dial to complete
sleep 10
#issue hangup request
{send hangup command}
#close connection to modem
{close 'pipe'}

A complication is that I cannot change the modem settings.  They are password
protected to keep them dial out only.

--
Regards         If using email, please send to:

2. Red Hat on a Dell Dimension

3. modem autodialing

4. Trouble sending this over to a Java Servlets

5. isdn+autodial can't find network?

6. BUSINESSEEK.COM

7. 3COM PCMCIA Ethernet Card (Etherlink III 3C589/B) OSR5

8. Need Script to autodial pppd when their is network traffic.

9. setting up local ethernet network, using modem sharing software

10. Cable modem to EtherNet network

11. want TCP/IP over modem instead of ethernet network

12. Programming guide for the network device drvier like an ethernet or adsl modem...