alt.internet.p2p (peer-to-peer) newsgroup created

alt.internet.p2p (peer-to-peer) newsgroup created

Post by Jonathan Gro » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:21:44

Subject: alt.internet.p2p (peer-to-peer) newsgroup created

alt.internet.p2p has just been created for discussion of p2p
(peer-to-peer) applications on the internet.

Quoting Clay Shirky:

"P2P is a class of applications that takes advantage of resources --
storage, cycles, content, human presence -- available at the edges of
the Internet. Because accessing these decentralized resources means
operating in an environment of unstable connectivity and unpredictable
IP addresses, P2P nodes must operate outside the DNS system and have
significant or total autonomy from central servers.
If you're looking for a litmus test for P2P, this is it: 1) Does it
treat variable connectivity and temporary network addresses as the
norm, and 2) does it give the nodes at the edges of the network
significant autonomy? If the answer to both of those questions is yes,
the application is P2P. If the answer to either question is no, it's not
P2P."

These applications include file sharing such as Napster and Gnutella,

Many news administrators only add new alt.* groups on user request. So if
it is not available at your site ask your news administrator to add it:
Write to him at the address news or usenet at your site or to the
technical support people there (address: support)). Because of the
poor propagation of new alt groups it will be a while before a
significant amount of traffic shows up.

--
Jonathan Grobe

1. Setup HP peer-to-peer printers

I am trying to establish a Linux server in our Solaris / Windows
environment. We use peer-to-peer HP printing rather than a print server.
All printers are attached to our network via HP jet direct boxes.

On the Solaris machine I run 'jetadmin' which allows me to establish
printers & queues but I can't find a 'jetadmin' for Linux on the HP web
page. I have set up HP's Web Jetadmin but it doesn't seem to help me set up
printers on the Linux box.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Eventually I want to set up Squid Proxy Server. Any pointers on this would
also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nigel

2. HD Problem...Is it possible to fix HD to be able to mount it?

3. 2 Computer Peer-to-Peer networking troubles

4. a filter with Apache

5. Peer-to-Peer Problems

6. Friendly UNIX editor (where to find joe)

7. What cable for peer-to-peer ?

8. VIRUS ALERT (The unknown cost)

9. peer-to-peer or client/server networking?which one better?

10. Peer-to-Peer : Mixed Linux and Windows

11. NEWBIE: Need a Windoze / Linux Peer-to-Peer

12. peer-to-peer network

13. Peer-to-Peer Network of LINUX Workstations, IS IT POSSIBLE?