Q: Network problems with 3COM 3c589C pcmcia

Q: Network problems with 3COM 3c589C pcmcia

Post by Lasse Rosenda » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

 I'm trying to get my laptop to recognize the network, without much luck. When
booting the Slakware 1.2.13 kernel, I get the messages

 SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
 SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
 SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
 SIOCADDRT: Network unreachable
 SIOCADDRT: Network unreachable

and I have no contact with the outside world through my 3COM 3c589C pcmica
network card. I've tried changing the uncommented lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1,
but all that happens is that the order of the messages changes, and the network
stays dead!

The network, broadcasting, gateway and nameserver adresses have all been checked
against those on a different PC in the same network, running the exact same
kernel version (even from the same CD!), but with a working network connection.
So, the IP adresses should be correct - and the card is OK, as I can use the
network when I run Win95 instead of Linux (but who wants to do that?!)

I don't think this is a machine specific problem, as yet another PC on this
network gets the same error messages as mine, and this is a regular PC, not a
laptop. Anyway, here are som machine specs:

P120 CPU, 16MB RAM, Trident LCD9320 1024kb SVGA, 3COM 3c589C pcmcia card, 1.2GB
disk, PCI bus.

To finish on a happy note, I've got X running beautifully in 800x600 - it's
great!!

I hope someone can help me!!! Thanks in advance!

Lasse

Lasse Rosendahl, M.Sc.            Phone:   +45 98 158522
Institute of Energy Technology    (Direct: +45 98 154211 + 3413)
Aalborg University                Fax:     +45 98 151411

DK-9220 Aalborg Oe.               http://www.iet.auc.dk
Denmark                           http://www.iet.auc.dk/cfd/cfd.home.html
                                          ___
                           \\\///       _/___\_
                            (o o)        (o -)
_________________________oo0_(_)_0oo__oo0_(_)_0oo__________________

:
:  SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
:  SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
:  SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
:  SIOCADDRT: Network unreachable
:  SIOCADDRT: Network unreachable

Have you installed PCMCIA drivers?

Have you checked the PCMCIA-HOWTO?  That would be the best place for
you to start...

-- Dave Hinds

1. 3Com 3C589C(PCMCIA); linux 1.2.13 not seeing network

[apologies if already seen - our news server is acting strangely;
 please cc any replies as e-mail to me directly. thanks.]

I have an IBM Thinkpad 750Ce running linux 1.2.13 that hums along happily
with modem etc. but recently when I put in a 3Com 3C589C PCMCIA network
card, the card was dutifully recognised at bootup (and even when
hotswapped in / out). However, all attempts to talk to the network
resulted in packets being sent but none received.  Does anyone have any
advice on what might be up ?  I've noticed that the little status light on
connector from the card's cable to the network comes on when the driver is
"loaded" and when the machine is shut down but is otherwise off.

Can anyone suggest a solution, short of a kernel upgrade ? I realise the
kernel release is quite old but I'd like to avoid the downtime of feeding
heaps of disks for 2.0 (no CD reader on laptop) and subsequently getting
my setup going again.  (If possible, I'd also like to get this going w/o
getting the source - is the driver run-time loadable rather than requiring
kernel recompilation?)  If people have had success with 2.0 kernels, I'd
love to know and will go through the pain.. ;-)

I thought I saw a question similar to this recently but our news server
has recently cleansed itself.

Thanks for any help,

2. pcmcia/module woes

3. 3Com 3c589C Etherlink III PCMCIA problems

4. PCM DECOM Card for Linux

5. 3com 3c589c pcmcia probs

6. NewbieQ: Linux and Print Serving...

7. 3COM 3C589C PCMCIA - does it work in Linux?

8. dvorak keyboard driver for Linux virtual consoles?

9. Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

10. RedHat install on NEC Versa 6030 laptop w/ 3com 3c589C PCMCIA enet

11. 3com 3c589c PCMCIA with x86 2.5

12. installing FreeBSD w/ 3com 3c589c PCMCIA

13. 3Com 3C589C RedHat 4.1 PCMCIA Configuration