Want to use Linux server for school network w/internet, etc.

Want to use Linux server for school network w/internet, etc.

Post by Michael C. Stolike » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi Anyone,

I am trying to setup a PC with Slackware Linux (3.1) to act as a server for
a small school network.
I expect to have about 30-40 PC's running various versions of Windows
connecting to this system
for file access, CD-ROM sharing, and inter/intranet access.

I would like to be able to set up a complete set of net services on the
server, including DNS, mail,
news, www & firewall/gateway to the outside world.  My questions are

        1) Is this too much to ask of a single PC (Compaq Deskpro 486/33 w/8MB &
1Gig, 3C503/16)?

        2) What software should I be using for each component?

        3) Is POP3 supported under Linux, and if so is it included in the
slackware distribution or
        do I need to get something else?

        4) Is there a question I've forgotten to ask in my ignorance?

I'm a complete novice as far as Linux is concerned.  My prior experience is
limited to
DOS/Win3.x/Win95 (Smattering of Unix on HP's and DEC).  I did manage to get
Linux installed
and running X-Windows (On the 3rd try).  I will be trying to get basic
networking tested this week
by connecting co-ax ethernet to my Win95 box.

If you have any suggestions please post here, but if possible, e-mail me as
well at:

or

Thanks,
Michael C. Stoliker

Want to use Linux server for school network w/internet, etc.

Post by Todd O'Boyl » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to setup a PC with Slackware Linux (3.1) to act as a server for
> a small school network.
> I expect to have about 30-40 PC's running various versions of Windows
> connecting to this system
> for file access, CD-ROM sharing, and inter/intranet access.
> I would like to be able to set up a complete set of net services on the
> server, including DNS, mail,
> news, www & firewall/gateway to the outside world.  My questions are

> 1) Is this too much to ask of a single PC (Compaq Deskpro 486/33 w/8MB &
> 1Gig, 3C503/16)?

It totally depends on how much of a load you think they will put on the
machine.  Should you get 50 http hits, 5 NNTP hits, 1000 named hits, etc.,
your machine will suffice.  The only way to know is to hammer on it while
testing.

Even if it does succeed, you may want to look in to an upgrade.  PC hardware
is so stinking cheap, you should be able to get an up-to-par machine
for next to nothing.

I don't think this machine will survive with X running, though.  I recommend
removing it altogether, unless you have PC clients that wish to use an
X server.

Quote:>    3) Is POP3 supported under Linux, and if so is it included in the
> slackware distribution or  do I need to get something else?

I definitely know that it is supported, and should come with slackware, if
not, check your local sunsite mirror.

Quote:>    4) Is there a question I've forgotten to ask in my ignorance?

Q:
Am I going to have the time and know-how to manage all of these services for
my users?

A:
You are biting off a very large hunk to chew.  News services can take up
mountains of one's time alone, not to mention web services, etc.;  and
don't forget to monitor your firewall logs.  You may want to reevaluate
your decisions.

Quote:> I'm a complete novice as far as Linux is concerned.  My prior experience is
> limited to
> DOS/Win3.x/Win95 (Smattering of Unix on HP's and DEC).  I did manage to get
> Linux installed
> and running X-Windows (On the 3rd try).  I will be trying to get basic
> networking tested this week
> by connecting co-ax ethernet to my Win95 box.

You are going to have an interesting summer/winter (depending on where you
are :).

cheers,
-Todd
--
Todd O'Boyle            - Programmer, Perl Hacker, BMX Rider, etc. -

Want to use Linux server for school network w/internet, etc.

Post by Vladimir Vuks » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to be able to set up a complete set of net services on the
>server, including DNS, mail,
>news, www & firewall/gateway to the outside world.  My questions are

>    1) Is this too much to ask of a single PC (Compaq Deskpro 486/33 w/8MB &
>1Gig, 3C503/16)?

Linux can do it. The performance might be better if you add some more
RAM.

Quote:>    2) What software should I be using for each component?

Latest version of Slackware (3.2) comes with all the necessary
servers.

HTTPD -> Apache 1.1.3 (most popular Web server on the Internet)
DNS -> 4.9.5 BIND
NEWS -> INN 1.5.1

As far as gateway is concerned you need to provide more information on
it ie. how is the network connected to the Internet (dedicated link I
presume), how do you want machines to access the Internet ie. directly
or through a proxy, etc.

Quote:>    3) Is POP3 supported under Linux, and if so is it included in the
>slackware distribution or
>    do I need to get something else?

It is included in the Slackware distribution.

If you had more RAM you can also consider putting Samba which can
"masquerade" as a Windows NT server and you can use it as the file and
print server for the network. Pretty cool.

Vladimir

Want to use Linux server for school network w/internet, etc.

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi Anyone,

> I am trying to setup a PC with Slackware Linux (3.1) to act as a server for
> a small school network.
> I expect to have about 30-40 PC's running various versions of Windows
> connecting to this system
> for file access, CD-ROM sharing, and inter/intranet access.

> I would like to be able to set up a complete set of net services on the
> server, including DNS, mail,
> news, www & firewall/gateway to the outside world.  My questions are

>    1) Is this too much to ask of a single PC (Compaq Deskpro 486/33 w/8MB &
> 1Gig, 3C503/16)?

Processor's a little on the slow side, you'll definatelly want at least 32M
ram for a server.  Ethernet card should be okay (beats the hell out of the
ne2k clones I've seen!)

Quote:

>    2) What software should I be using for each component?

File/cdrom sharing - samba
inter/intranet access - depends.  some options are routed, or ip
        masquerading.
DNS - named
mail - sendmail (standard on install)
news - choice of INN (more popular one) or CNews
www - apache http daemon
firewall/gateway - routing with forwarding rules, plus there's some
        commercial packages for this.

Quote:

>    3) Is POP3 supported under Linux, and if so is it included in the
> slackware distribution or
>    do I need to get something else?

Yes, and yes.

Quote:

>    4) Is there a question I've forgotten to ask in my ignorance?

> I'm a complete novice as far as Linux is concerned.  My prior experience is
> limited to
> DOS/Win3.x/Win95 (Smattering of Unix on HP's and DEC).  I did manage to get
> Linux installed
> and running X-Windows (On the 3rd try).  I will be trying to get basic
> networking tested this week
> by connecting co-ax ethernet to my Win95 box.

> If you have any suggestions please post here, but if possible, e-mail me as
> well at:

Some good web sites to go to for help:
www.linux.org
www.uk.linux.org
www.ssc.com

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.30 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!