Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

Post by GEDEO » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

  Hi Y'all,
  Could someone please point me in the right direction, howto's and whatever.
  I would like to be able to send mail messages to MS Exchange and later on
retrieve mail from MS Exchange (outlook).  I don't know what utilities to read
up on.  Is there any howto's for linux/sendmail and for what needs to be done
on MS Exchange to accept messages, etc?  I read something on POP3 and
fetchmail, but they (I think) only deal with retrieving mail from MS Exchange.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I need this for 2 OS's,  Linux and AIX.
Thanks in advance for any info, howto's, info web sites, etc.
Have a great Memorial Day!!
Dave.

Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

Post by Robert Marshal » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Linux and AIX can only exchange mail with a Microsoft Exchange server if
that server is running an SMTP gateway/service/MTA (also called an
Internet Mail Connector). If that piece is in place, and the Linux/AIX
boxes can resolve the Exchange box's address thru DNS, it should simply
work.

FYI - SMTP is the protocol for mail going INTO a box, POP3 (or IMAP)
handles mail coming OUT OF a box, where the box in question is usually a
"mail server". When using a PC, the mail server is the important part,
so the PC *sends to* the server with SMTP and *retrieves from* the
server with POP3/IMAP.

>   Hi Y'all,
>   Could someone please point me in the right direction, howto's and whatever.
>   I would like to be able to send mail messages to MS Exchange and later on
> retrieve mail from MS Exchange (outlook).  I don't know what utilities to read
> up on.  Is there any howto's for linux/sendmail and for what needs to be done
> on MS Exchange to accept messages, etc?  I read something on POP3 and
> fetchmail, but they (I think) only deal with retrieving mail from MS Exchange.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
> I need this for 2 OS's,  Linux and AIX.
> Thanks in advance for any info, howto's, info web sites, etc.
> Have a great Memorial Day!!
> Dave.

Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

Post by Tom Basc » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Linux and AIX can only exchange mail with a Microsoft Exchange server if
> that server is running an SMTP gateway/service/MTA (also called an
> Internet Mail Connector). If that piece is in place, and the Linux/AIX
> boxes can resolve the Exchange box's address thru DNS, it should simply
> work.

> FYI - SMTP is the protocol for mail going INTO a box, POP3 (or IMAP)
> handles mail coming OUT OF a box, where the box in question is usually a
> "mail server". When using a PC, the mail server is the important part,
> so the PC *sends to* the server with SMTP and *retrieves from* the
> server with POP3/IMAP.

That part I understand and can deal with -- I can send mail quite
happily.  But how does one deal with an Exchange server in an environment
where the sys admins refuse to enable POP3 or IMAP and insist that
everyone use Exchange/Outlook as the client?  Does anyone have any clues
about setting up ipchains properly to allow an Exchange/Outlook client to
receive mail through a Linux gateway?

Post by Chuck Swige » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

> That part I understand and can deal with -- I can send mail quite
> happily.  But how does one deal with an Exchange server in an environment
> where the sys admins refuse to enable POP3 or IMAP and insist that
> everyone use Exchange/Outlook as the client?

One finds a new environment where the sysadmins have a sensible
policy.  How does Outlook get mail from an Exchange server without
using POP3 or IMAP, anyway?

-Chuck

       ------------------------+-------------------+--------------------
       I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a pessimist....

Post by Tom Basc » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

> > That part I understand and can deal with -- I can send mail quite
> > happily.  But how does one deal with an Exchange server in an environment
> > where the sys admins refuse to enable POP3 or IMAP and insist that
> > everyone use Exchange/Outlook as the client?

> One finds a new environment where the sysadmins have a sensible
> policy.

I have the privilege of working within the belly of two of the largest,
most bureaucratic and utterly intransigent beasts on the planet (EDS &
GM) -- I doubt that that advice will help :-)

Quote:> How does Outlook get mail from an Exchange server without
> using POP3 or IMAP, anyway?

M$, of course, has its own proprietary protocol...

Post by Chad M. Stewar » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

>Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:25:33 -0400

>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
>Subject: Re: Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

>> > That part I understand and can deal with -- I can send mail quite
>> > happily.  But how does one deal with an Exchange server in an environment
>> > where the sys admins refuse to enable POP3 or IMAP and insist that
>> > everyone use Exchange/Outlook as the client?

>> One finds a new environment where the sysadmins have a sensible
>> policy.

>I have the privilege of working within the belly of two of the largest,
>most bureaucratic and utterly intransigent beasts on the planet (EDS &
>GM) -- I doubt that that advice will help :-)

Fire the sysadmin!!  Come on, with all the virus stuff going around you really
want people using Outlook or Outlook Express as UAs.  I used to work for EDS
as well, you're right to many clueless clowns at the controls.  How about web
access? You can always not read email, and when asked why, tell them that your
SA is not supporting you.  You don't use Microsoft "products" and your SA
won't help you with your Linux workstation. :)

Otherwise find yourself a job elsewhere. :)

-cms-

Quote:

>> How does Outlook get mail from an Exchange server without
>> using POP3 or IMAP, anyway?

>M$, of course, has its own proprietary protocol...

Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

Post by Tom Basc » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.10005281215120.16203-

> >Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:25:33 -0400

> >Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
> >Subject: Re: Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

> >> One finds a new environment where the sysadmins have a sensible
> >> policy.

> >I have the privilege of working within the belly of two of the largest,
> >most bureaucratic and utterly intransigent beasts on the planet (EDS &
> >GM) -- I doubt that that advice will help :-)

> Fire the sysadmin!!  Come on, with all the virus stuff going around you really
> want people using Outlook or Outlook Express as UAs.  I used to work for EDS
> as well, you're right to many clueless clowns at the controls.  How about web
> access? You can always not read email, and when asked why, tell them that your
> SA is not supporting you.  You don't use Microsoft "products" and your SA
> won't help you with your Linux workstation. :)

I'm sure that that would feel good but it isn't exactly practical...  The
problem (with Exchange) seems to be that it uses a port (153?) to kick
things off but then dynamically allocates a port (or ports) for the rest
of the session.  Surely this cannot be the only software that behaves in
this fashion?

Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

Post by Chad M. Stewar » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

In the wise words of Tom Bascom

[...snip...]

Quote:

>> Fire the sysadmin!!  Come on, with all the virus stuff going around you really
>> want people using Outlook or Outlook Express as UAs.  I used to work for EDS
>> as well, you're right to many clueless clowns at the controls.  How about web
>> access? You can always not read email, and when asked why, tell them that your
>> SA is not supporting you.  You don't use Microsoft "products" and your SA
>> won't help you with your Linux workstation. :)

>I'm sure that that would feel good but it isn't exactly practical...  The
>problem (with Exchange) seems to be that it uses a port (153?) to kick
>things off but then dynamically allocates a port (or ports) for the rest
>of the session.  Surely this cannot be the only software that behaves in
>this fashion?

Its RPC. I believe it is Microsoft's version of portmapper.  I had to punch a
hole in a firewall for this to work.  Doesn't get you any closer though, since
it is still using closed source methods for sending/fetching mail.

Unless you can get them to enable OWA (Outlook web access) then I'm afraid
your going to have to use a winblows machine and their UA.

btw - Exchange is *broken* when it comes to MIME and offering up mail via
POP3.  I don't know about IMAP, probably same behavior.  I don't remember the
exact details, it has been a few years, but the Exchange server rewrites the
MIME parts, thus when read via POP3 the user does NOT get the exact thing that
was sent to them. I'm not talking about tweaking an address here or there, I'm
talking relabeing MIME content headers.  Not exactly the behavior I expect
from a mailhost. Guess I shouldn't have given Microsoft the credit of being
able to write a mailhost.

You could try using wine, not sure if Outlook would run under that or not.

-Chad-

Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

Post by Tom Basc » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> >I'm sure that that would feel good but it isn't exactly practical...  The
> >problem (with Exchange) seems to be that it uses a port (153?) to kick
> >things off but then dynamically allocates a port (or ports) for the rest
> >of the session.  Surely this cannot be the only software that behaves in
> >this fashion?

> Its RPC. I believe it is Microsoft's version of portmapper.  I had to punch a
> hole in a firewall for this to work.  Doesn't get you any closer though, since
> it is still using closed source methods for sending/fetching mail.

Actually that would get me a lot closer...

Quote:> Unless you can get them to enable OWA (Outlook web access)

Not a prayer.

Quote:> then I'm afraid
> your going to have to use a winblows machine and their UA.

Call me foolish but... I'm doing that anyway.  My home office setup
consists of a Linux box that acts as my internet (or intranet when
connected to work) gateway.  It allows me to use any of several desktop
PCs located in various parts of the house to do my work.  It also allows
me to dial-in when I'm on the road, makes a great file and print server,
serves up web pages and lots of other stuff.

The only fly in the ointment is Exchange.  Aside from its foulness as an
e-mail client (which I completely agree with) I have to maintain a
seperate phone line and modem in order to dial-in from a particular PC
just to read my mail.  In fact an entire PC that would otherwise be
reformatted to run Linux is being wasted running Win '95 because of this.
That's pretty obnoxious.

Networks and firewalls aren't really my thing -- so I haven't figured out
how to "punch a hole" in the firewall to allow it through.  Someday I
might take a week or two off and figure it out.  But right now I do have
a basic IP Chains ruleset (the server is RHL 6.1) that lets me use FTP.
Telnet, HTTP and so forth with the appropriate servers.  If you'd be so
kind as to explain how to punch that hole I could use my vacation time in
a much more productive manner :-)

Howto send and recv mail to MS Exchange question

Post by Chad M. Stewar » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>Networks and firewalls aren't really my thing -- so I haven't figured out
>how to "punch a hole" in the firewall to allow it through.  Someday I
>might take a week or two off and figure it out.  But right now I do have
>a basic IP Chains ruleset (the server is RHL 6.1) that lets me use FTP.
>Telnet, HTTP and so forth with the appropriate servers.  If you'd be so
>kind as to explain how to punch that hole I could use my vacation time in
>a much more productive manner :-)

When I did it I was using Checkpoint Firewall-1 not ipchains.   Though here's
a quick how RPC works.

An RPC based client program that wishes to contact a particular RPC based
service on a machine will first contact the portmapper server on that machine,
which always runs on a standard port.  The client tells portmapper the unique
RPC service number for the server it wishes to access, and portmapper responds
with either, the port number, or go away that service is unavailable on this
machine.  The client then connects to the specified port on the server that it
obtained from portmapper.

It is much easier to allow for this stuff outbound than it is inbound.

Good luck.  :)

-cms-

1. Sending Internet mail through MS Exchange

Hello everyone,

We have an E450 server running Solaris 2.6.  For support and preventive
warning purposes, I would like to be able to send Internet mail to the
technical support staff.  Our corporate mail server is a Microsoft Exchange
5.5 server.

Would anyone know what I need to allow me to send mail to anyone through the
Exchange server?

Your comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

IT Manager
Cantrex Group Inc.

2. swapping

3. Problem sending smtp unix mail through MS Exchange server to outside

4. Socket reads from server

5. MS Exchange Mail and RH5 mailserver question

6. Problem with DNS

7. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

8. X11R4 fonts on IBM RS6000

9. Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail

10. mail - Sending mail to Exchange Server

11. Login to MS Exchange to send e-mail

12. Send/Recv POP3 mail locally w/o using POP client?

13. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux