IP-Masq DialD Question

Post by Ryan Stapleto » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
  I have a nice ip-masq and DialD system set up and working
for a few machines behind a nice little 486 server
but I have a user that insists on running that cursed ICQ
and well the version for Windows never seems to disconnect them
and it keeps dialing my ISP with my Diald, well I think that is
bad, is there a way that if they are not using it to prevent
my ISP from being dialed?  I tried to block port 4000 udp
but I think its the DNS lookup kicking the dial right now

anyone have any ideas?

-Ryan

- 15851                        |                              -
- Amateur Radio Call:  KA3WUT  |  http://users.penn.com/~raal -

IP-Masq DialD Question

Post by Vincent Zweij » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

||    I have a nice ip-masq and DialD system set up and working
||  for a few machines behind a nice little 486 server
||  but I have a user that insists on running that cursed ICQ
||  and well the version for Windows never seems to disconnect them
||  and it keeps dialing my ISP with my Diald, well I think that is
||  bad, is there a way that if they are not using it to prevent
||  my ISP from being dialed?  I tried to block port 4000 udp
||  but I think its the DNS lookup kicking the dial right now

Use debug 89 (0x59) to see traffic in syslog.  Dns is traffic to port
53 of your name server.

If DNS traffic is the problem, you can install a caching name server.  You
can make it authoritative for your (invented) local domain/network.  You
probably need the dynamic IP hack (echo 2 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr).

Tell them to use the caching name server (ip-firewalling and/or
diald-filtering out nameserver requests to outside nameservers that are
not from your local nameserver?).

Good luck.                                                        Vincent.
--

<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"
[Xhost should be taken out and shot] |            -- Paul Tomblin on a.s.r.

IP-Masq DialD Question

Post by Ryan Stapleto » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Use debug 89 (0x59) to see traffic in syslog.  Dns is traffic to port

I am currently using debug 31

Ok I got all the machines (yea ok so there isnt that many) to
use my local dns, which I though I set up as a caching server
but for somereason it dosnt seem to be caching this :(

my local machines talk to my dns server, then my dns server seems
to activate the link as it has to talk to a different server.

kinda defeating what I was trying to set up, I am including my
named.conf

Any info would be great, as this is slightly anonying
and I hate having my machine dial my isp every 5-10 mins

-Ryan

// Config file for caching only name server

options {
        directory "/var/named";

        // Uncommenting this might help if you have to go through a
        // firewall and things are not working out:

        // query-source address * port 53;

Quote:};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.hints";

Quote:};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "pz/127.0.0";

Quote:};

zone "home-bogus.net" {
        notify no;
        type master;
        file "pz/magic-home";

Quote:};

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        notify no;
        type master;
        file "pz/192.168.1";

Quote:};

- 15851                        |                              -
- Amateur Radio Call:  KA3WUT  |  http://users.penn.com/~raal -

1. IP-masq and diald urgent question!

I have a small network and Linux RH5.2 (everything installed) connecting
to my ISP with dynamic IP. I use IP-masq and diald to automatically
bring up a connection.
The problem is: when i start Netscape on a computer inside my network
and try to load some www page, first everything seems to work ok,  diald
connects to my ISP but then Netscape says "There was no response..." and
I have to press "reload" to connect to this www page. It seems to me,
that I've reviewed all the FAQ and this list also. The solution I found
there is to put in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local something like echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr but this doesn't work!

So maybe someone knows any other solution???

Janosz

2. one works, several don't

3. Diald/ip-masq/pop Mail

4. Kill script needed for ipc services

5. Dialin PPP, IP-Masq, and DialD - HELP!

6. What does "UNIX" stand for..

7. DIALD, IP-MASQ and Windows machines

8. Problem with CGI in Linux

9. IP-Masq, DialD, and telnet/rlogin problems

10. IP Masq'd Workstation to connect to IP Masq'd Workstation

11. IP Masq - Specify IP to Masq as?

12. ip_masq and diald - diald won't bring up link for masq-ed packets

13. Name Server Help/IP Masq/DialD