allowing root to rsh in

Post by Steve Hsi » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Given two trusted machines, how can I allow root on one machine to
rsh/rlogin to the other machine without needing to enter a password?
I have added the machine names to both /etc/hosts.equiv and
/etc/hosts.allow, but this does not seem to allow root to rsh in
(other users can, just not root).

As of now, I get a permission denied message, and the following shows
up in the log:

I am using slackware 3.0, with the relevant inetd.conf line being:

shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.rshd

Besides telling me that this is all a bad idea, can someone tell me
what is actually preventing root for rsh'ing in, and how to turn off
this "safeguard"?

Thanks.
--
Stephen Hsieh              Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

1. Allowing root to rsh

I put all the ttyps in /etc/securetty and root can now rsh in.
However, the first time it asks for the password, the login
fails.  Then it asks for the username and password again, like
this:

Password:
login: root
Password:
Last login: Thu Feb 12 01:51:08 from cervesa.home-net
You have new mail.

This is on Red Hat, 4.2 and 5.0. Does anyone know how to fix this?

--
Larry D. Pyeatt                     All standard disclaimers apply.

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~pyeatt

2. Blurry text under X (XConfig?)

3. allowing root of another machine to rsh in ?

4. Sound Blaster 16 w/ CD

5. Any way to allow root rsh/rlogin in RH6.0??

6. Linux Fonts - Beautiful

7. How do you allow root to rsh/rcp/rlogin/etc?

8. Ramdisk help && suggestions please

9. allowing root to rsh

10. Allowing root rsh

11. Allowing root a rsh

12. rsh as root - no password - /.rhosts or /root/.rhosts doesn't work?

13. rsh root but no root remote login...