need help with modem dial up script, non standard

need help with modem dial up script, non standard

Post by Randy Perkin » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:11:09

hello,
i recently have gotten my modem working,
and would like to use the roaming dial up account provided by my
cable modem service (roadrunner, timewarner/aol)

The ISP has you download a dialer executable,
( for windows of course),
and then you connect to the internet thru that.

I have reviewed the dialer executable and the
corresponding script it uses under winxp,
and have a decent understanding of the mechanics
of the login procedure.

I would like to be able to do this under linux,
( i use redhat but any advise is appreciated).
I have tested my ppp/modem setup with someone elses dial up account,
so i know that my configuration is good.
i have read the man pages on pppd,chat,wvdial,
and reviewed the GUI tools with redhat, including kppp.
but have not grasped the solution to my problem

the login procedure actually sends info in plaintext,
then again validates with ppp.

the process is as follows:

1. the remote end sends a login prompt
2. I respond in plain text with the string "aolnet/ent."
2. the remote end starts ppp
3. i respond from within ppp with my login/password info
??? ( i am not for sure of the mechanics of this, but it uses
??? the standard process of winxp, so i assume CHAP?)

thanks for you help
as this is the first time i have connected to internet with a modem in linux,
as I have been on broadband for several years now.

randy

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:38:26

> I have tested my ppp/modem setup with someone elses dial up account,
> so i know that my configuration is good.
> i have read the man pages on pppd,chat,wvdial,
> and reviewed the GUI tools with redhat, including kppp.
> but have not grasped the solution to my problem

It's not likely that we can grasp the solution to your problem either,
since you didn't say anything about the problem itself.

--

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/

Post by Randy Perkin » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 01:55:41

> It's not likely that we can grasp the solution to your problem either,
> since you didn't say anything about the problem itself.

thanks for your reply
what additional information do you need

A.      and would like to use the roaming dial up account provided by my
B.      The ISP has you download a dialer executable,
C.      I have reviewed the dialer script it uses under winxp,
D.      I would like to be able to do this under linux,
E.      I have tested my ppp/modem setup with someone elses dial up account,
F.      the login procedure actually sends info in plaintext,

Post by Clifford Kit » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:26:19

>> It's not likely that we can grasp the solution to your problem either,
>> since you didn't say anything about the problem itself.
> thanks for your reply
> what additional information do you need

We need to know what you WANT before we can answer that.

Quote:> A. and would like to use the roaming dial up account provided by my
> B. The ISP has you download a dialer executable,
> C. I have reviewed the dialer script it uses under winxp,
> D. I would like to be able to do this under linux,
> E. I have tested my ppp/modem setup with someone elses dial up account,
> F. the login procedure actually sends info in plaintext,
>    then again validates with ppp.
>            the process is as follows:
>            1. the remote end sends a login prompt
>            2. I respond in plain text with the string "aolnet/ent."
>            2. the remote end starts ppp
>            3. i respond from within ppp with my login/password info

Still nothing said about what is WRONG!!  You describe what you've
done but we have no clue at to what is expected in the way of an
answer, since the problem, or question, if there is one, is unstated.
So we don't know how to reply.

Try this link:

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
/* For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
                -- R. Clopton */

need help with modem dial up script, non standard

Post by Randy Perkin » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:54:54

hello,

due to my posting in this group
i recieved a personal email response
that solved my problem

thanks to that person for helping

i wont be coming back to follow this thread,
so if you would like more info on the topic
of accessing rr roaming dialup service in linux
feel free to email me.

i will post the response i was given,
in the hope it will help someone else

randy

-------- here is the response i recieved ----------

Hi Randy,

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:11:09 GMT, you posted to comp.os.linux.networking:

Quote:>I have tested my ppp/modem setup with someone elses dial up account,
>so i know that my configuration is good.
>i have read the man pages on pppd,chat,wvdial,
>and reviewed the GUI tools with redhat, including kppp.
>but have not grasped the solution to my problem

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

For a _NORMAL_ ISP, this would result in something like this:

[hubble ~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/dialin
#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/sbin/pppd connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/dialscript"? \
defaultroute lock noipdefault modem nodetach /dev/modem 115200 crtscts \
user staehle
[hubble ~]$

There must not be anything after the \ in those two lines.

[hubble ~]$ cat /etc/ppp/dialscript
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' "" AT&F1 OK ATDT2662902 CONNECT \d\c
[hubble ~]$

You would change the username at the end of the first script, and the phone
number and modem init-string (see your modem manual - &F1 is for a USR,
while others probably want &F0) in the second.

There would also be /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or chap-secrets, depending on the
authentication protocol chosen by the ISP. But other than setting the name
server addresses in /etc/resolv.conf, that's the whole thing.? It's a lot
simpler than the material presented in the (nearly obsolete) man pages.

Quote:>1. the remote end sends a login prompt
>2. I respond in plain text with the string "aolnet/ent."
>2. the remote end starts ppp

PARSE ERROR - core dumped??????????? ;-)

It's _very_ unusual to see a login prompt being presented to a dialin user
any more. I'd guess that 99% of the windoze users wowuld panic if they saw
one.? Basic windoze95 killed that off virtually around the world. But it's
extremely easy to implement - all that changes is the 'chat' script above.
I'd change that to

ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' "" AT&F1 OK ATDT2662902 ogin: "aolnet/ent."

which means instead of waiting for the modem to report a connection, you
wait for the login prompt (here using the classic ogin: to accomodate a
capital or lower case L), then reply with the string. Note that the string
is quoted to protect the slash and period.

Quote:>3. i respond from within ppp with my login/password info
>??? ( i am not for sure of the mechanics of this, but it uses
>??? the standard process of winxp, so i assume CHAP?)

Could be one of several protocols - PAP (RFC1334), CHAP-MD5 (RFC1994),
microsofts borken version of CHAP (MS-CHAP v1 RFC2433), microsoft's
improved (and even more b0rken) version 2 (RFC2759) or one of a handful of
purposely incompatible mechanisms like ShivaPAP, SecureID, or similar. If
it's going to work with Linux, it has to be one of the first three, and they
work transparently if you have the right stuff in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets AND
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets

You might be able to get this to work with one or more of the GUI "tools"
that come with modern distributions (like wvdial, kppp, etc.), but I'd
expect you'd need to hack the code to handle the separate authentication and
chat responses. Probably not worth the effort. The GUIs were never designed
for this.

Hope this helps,

1. Apache autoconf configure script usage for non-standard target

Hi,

I'm trying to cross compile Apache 2.0 with linux as my build system.
My target is a posix like virtual machine we use internally in Software AG.

My question is since this target is proprietary, I don't know what to
put in the --target option when I run configure.

Should I leave it blank?

Any help? Anyone out there gone through the process of cross compiling
with Apache 2.0?

Allan

2. new processors -- what for?

3. Passing non-standard environment variables to CGI scripts

4. Linux as KingGod NFS Server to DOS Slaves

5. Non-standard Modem on Sun serial port

6. February 27, 2003

7. Modem MD6800-U (AZT 4023) on a non-standard address

8. xpm-3.4i compile problem

9. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

10. Newbie -modem using non-standard IRQ

11. Non-BT (non standard) phone lines and Linux

12. Help needed setting up dial-in modem and uugetty

13. need help setting up dial-in and -out on same modem in SunOS 4.1