ncpfs mounting problem (newbie sysadmin question)

ncpfs mounting problem (newbie sysadmin question)

Post by Jason Baed » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have seen this question asked before in newsgroups archives, but I
haven't seen the definitive answer yet.  So let me apologize up front
for bringing it up again.  I feel as bad writing it as you doing
having to read it again.

The problem: ncpfs is working fine if I'm logged in as root:

ncpmount -S NOV_1 -U JASON -P xxxx /Netware

However, if I'm logged in as another user, I receive this error
message

cannot mount on /Netware: Operation not permitted

It is my understanding that this more than likely is due to the file
permissions on the mount point /Netware.  These are already set at:

drwxrwxrwx   root  root

I've read lots of documentation, but I haven't seen anything that
addresses this specific issue: setting up appropriate mount points.
Would someone be so kind as to tell me how I can ensure that other
users can mount at /Netware.

FWIW: ncpmount is already setuid
               ncpmount -v returns "version 0.24
               Linux kernel is Slackware distribution, kernel 2.0.10

Thank you.
Jason Baeder

Manager, Business Development             Phone: (301) 215-7777
US-China Industrial Exchange, Inc.        Fax:   (301) 215-7719
7201 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 700
Bethesda, MD 20814

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I have seen this question asked before in newsgroups archives, but I
>haven't seen the definitive answer yet.  So let me apologize up front
>for bringing it up again.  I feel as bad writing it as you doing
>having to read it again.

>The problem: ncpfs is working fine if I'm logged in as root:

>ncpmount -S NOV_1 -U JASON -P xxxx /Netware

>However, if I'm logged in as another user, I receive this error
>message

>cannot mount on /Netware: Operation not permitted

I think the mount point directory has to be owned by the person doing the
mount.  That's the only way I've been able to get it to work.  Note that
once mounted, the connection can be shared across users, but the mount
itself still "belongs to" the user who did the mount.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

1. ncpfs and mount permission: newbie sysadmin question

I have seen this question asked before in newsgroups archives, but I
haven't seen the definitive answer yet.  So let me apologize up front
for bringing it up again.  I feel as bad writing it as you doing
having to read it again.

(Years of experience in other OS's and languages does not alleviate
the feeling that now that I've begun with Linux it's like being the
high school senior turned college freshman.) But I digress.

The problem: ncpfs is working fine if I'm logged in as root:

ncpmount -S NOV_1 -U JASON -P xxxx /Netware

However, if I'm logged in as another user, I receive this error
message

cannot mount on /Netware: Operation not permitted

It is my understanding that this more than likely is due to the file
permissions on the mount point /Netware.  These are already set at:

drwxrwxrwx   root  root

I've read lots of documentation, but I haven't seen anything that
addresses this specific issue: setting up appropriate mount points.
Would someone be so kind as to tell me how I can ensure that other
users can mount at /Netware.

FWIW: ncpmount is already setuid
               ncpmount -v returns "version 0.24
               Linux kernel is Slackware distribution, kernel 2.0.10

Thank you.

2. Zeos Meridian video probs!

3. Newbie Sysadmin Question

4. Password problem

5. Newbie Question - Users, Groups, & Sysadmins

6. extract_UserDir_logs: program to implement per-user logs w/ Apache

7. Newbie sysadmin nameserver failure question

8. UNIX SCO

9. can't get ncpfs to work - 'Cannot open ncpfs'

10. Mounting ncpfs and smbfs

11. Can't mount Novell volume using NCPFS

12. Samba/smbfs, ncpfs -- works, but can't figure out how to mount

13. Can't Mount Novell Volume using NCPFS