Losing network shares

Post by Brett Charbene » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 02:18:31

Greetings,

        I am using iptables and NAT (a la the gShield script) as a
firewall for my staff workstations.
        Folks come and go out of numerous NT Server (shudder) shares
frequently. While initial logins connect straight to the server via
mapped network drives, if they are idle for more than 30 minutes or so on
these shares and then try to access them again they receive

                G:\ is not accessible.
                The network path was not found.

        errors from Windows.
        If they disconnect from the share and then re-map them all is well
again.
        I suspect this is due to some ip_conntrack timeout thing, but I'm
not sure how to approach the problem - at the server or the clients.
        Maybe some sort of keep-alive thing on the clients?
        If anyone can suggest a way to work around this problem I'd be
very grateful.
        Thank you very much in advance!

Losing network shares

Post by David K. Mean » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 04:42:55

> Greetings,

>         I am using iptables and NAT (a la the gShield script) as a
> firewall for my staff workstations.
>         Folks come and go out of numerous NT Server (shudder) shares
> frequently. While initial logins connect straight to the server via
> mapped network drives, if they are idle for more than 30 minutes or so
> on these shares and then try to access them again they receive

>                 G:\ is not accessible.
>                 The network path was not found.

  [snip]

Just a shot in the dark: you might look at this parameter in
your smb.conf file:

    deadtime (G)