ppp can log modem speed renegotiation thruout session?

ppp can log modem speed renegotiation thruout session?

Post by Dan Jacobso » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:24:20

I hear that modem speeds might be renegotiated several times during a
connection session.  How can I keep a* of this action using ppp's
logging facilities?
--
http://www.veryComputer.com/: restore ".com." TEL+886-4-25854780 ?n|

Post by Greg Whit » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:25:12

> I hear that modem speeds might be renegotiated several times during a
> connection session.  How can I keep a* of this action using ppp's
> logging facilities?
> --
> http://www.veryComputer.com/: restore ".com." TEL+886-4-25854780 ?n|

Followups set to comp.protocols.ppp to avoid further cross-posts.

It strikes me that this is not possible -- PPP knows nothing about
the speed of the connection. The initial speed of the connection
can be logged by your chat script, and usually is, but pppd itself
doesn't know anything about the speed of the connection... The
chat script is long gone by the time your modem retrains....
Just my $0.02, and I'm sure that the more extensively
knowledgeable readers of this group _may_ have some information
that I do not that will help -- if anyone does, they're hangin'
out here. ;)

HTH,

GW

ppp can log modem speed renegotiation thruout session?

Post by Rick Collin » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:15:55

Quote:> I hear that modem speeds might be renegotiated several times during
> connection session.  How can I keep a* of this action using
ppp's
> logging facilities?

You can't. The modem does things like speed shifts and retrains
without informing the host it is doing so.

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:13:06

>I hear that modem speeds might be renegotiated several times during a
>connection session.  How can I keep a* of this action using ppp's
>logging facilities?

Although, pppd is unaware of it, you might be able to get some info by
setting up minicom to connect to the modem without resetting it.  Then
after you disconnect pppd, you can check the modem diagnostics to possibly
find out initial tx/rx speeds, final tx/rx speeds and how many times it
retrained.  Or you could possibly do this from a Perl script using the
Device::Serial module (a Unix port of the Win32::Serial module).

For example for modem with a Rockwell chip try 'at&v1' and with a Lucent
chip try 'ati11'.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/;http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/;http://www.veryComputer.com/~cgi-wiz/

1. Current sessions and DHCP renegotiation

using iptables on a firewall/router box that NATs for internal computers,
what happens to sessions that are currently running when the DHCP has to
renegotiate the connection and gets a different IP (I see it all the time on
Bellsouth ADSL)?

I'm assuming it causes all current connections to "break".

Besides purchasing a static IP, what's the best way to config iptables to
work under this situation?

Thanks!

2. Probely a stupid question

3. SCSI speed renegotiation under Solaris?

4. Random reboots during install...

5. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

6. Configuring pagers in Afterstep 4

7. Querying modem-to-modem speed of PPP connection.

8. BSD/Qualcomm qpopper Vulnerability

9. log ppp connection speed?

10. How Do You Get The Modem Connect Speed To Log?

11. Hang up modem after ppp session?

12. Modem Speed with PPP

13. looking for way to ask modem what speed it connected at (PPP)