NIS, NFS and autofs

Post by Tad Mar » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 05:32:24

Howdy!

I have a few machines on my home network that are used by myself and
two of my friends. I have been thinking of using NIS to simplify user
maintenance, and NFS via autofs to provide the /home partition.
However, I have discovered a few things that are making me rethink
this. Simply, it is that NIS is a pretty big hammer for this nail and
that autofs doesn't seem to always work the way I want. More
specifically:

NIS:

All I (think) I want to do is normalize user and group IDs and
passwords amongst the machines. I don't think I have need for any
other NIS features. Is there a simpler solution than NIS, or perhaps a
shortcut to set up NIS for this level of functionality?

Autofs:

I'm having trouble getting used to the way it decides when to mount
things. One of the directories I'd like to make is /mp3, which I has
my music files in it categorized into directories of genres. I haven't
figured out how to express to autofs to mount /mp3 and all of its sub
directories when I 'ls /mp3'. Perhaps this isn't an appropriate use
for autofs?

A similar problem also exists when autofs mounts my home directory. It
doesn't mount those of my fellow users. Can I make autofs just mount
all of /home whenever it is needed?

Other solutions:

Perhaps these tools aren't really what I need for a 5 machine, 3 user
network. One thought that occurs to me is that it might be best just
to manage the user and group files manually and just hard mount /home
all the time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tad

NIS, NFS and autofs

Post by Karl Heye » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 07:37:23

> A similar problem also exists when autofs mounts my home directory. It
> doesn't mount those of my fellow users. Can I make autofs just mount
> all of /home whenever it is needed?

you need an autofs mount point eg /home which then has the specific NFS
mount below that /home/user. so /mp3 isn't going to work unless it is a
symlink to the autofs directory.

Quote:> Other solutions:

> Perhaps these tools aren't really what I need for a 5 machine, 3 user
> network. One thought that occurs to me is that it might be best just
> to manage the user and group files manually and just hard mount /home
> all the time.

It isn't really needed, it's more for large distributed networks. /home
can be mounted all the time.

karl.

NIS, NFS and autofs

Post by Hale » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:50:31

> Howdy!

> I have a few machines on my home network that are used by myself and
> two of my friends. I have been thinking of using NIS to simplify user
> maintenance, and NFS via autofs to provide the /home partition.
> However, I have discovered a few things that are making me rethink
> this. Simply, it is that NIS is a pretty big hammer for this nail and
> that autofs doesn't seem to always work the way I want. More
> specifically:

> NIS:

> All I (think) I want to do is normalize user and group IDs and
> passwords amongst the machines. I don't think I have need for any
> other NIS features. Is there a simpler solution than NIS, or perhaps a
> shortcut to set up NIS for this level of functionality?

> Autofs:

> I'm having trouble getting used to the way it decides when to mount
> things. One of the directories I'd like to make is /mp3, which I has
> my music files in it categorized into directories of genres. I haven't
> figured out how to express to autofs to mount /mp3 and all of its sub
> directories when I 'ls /mp3'. Perhaps this isn't an appropriate use
> for autofs?

> A similar problem also exists when autofs mounts my home directory. It
> doesn't mount those of my fellow users. Can I make autofs just mount
> all of /home whenever it is needed?

> Other solutions:

> Perhaps these tools aren't really what I need for a 5 machine, 3 user
> network. One thought that occurs to me is that it might be best just
> to manage the user and group files manually and just hard mount /home
> all the time.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks,
> Tad

I have automounter compiled in the kernel and all I've done is set up NIS and
NFS,  exported /home from the server and entered

server:/home       /home    nfs     rw,soft 0 0

in /etc/fstab.

I don't mess around with autofs configuration. All lower directories (ie all
users') are exported via NFS. You'll see their directories but are not able to
write to them. Each user can of course set prefered permissions on their
individual directories.

If you happen to have setup a local user you'll still get the server home
directory. If you logout and umount /home and login again you'll get local home
directory.

NIS, NFS and autofs

Post by PDoc » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:10:40

> Perhaps these tools aren't really what I need for a 5 machine, 3 user
> network. One thought that occurs to me is that it might be best just
> to manage the user and group files manually and just hard mount /home
> all the time.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks,
> Tad

Your first question is where/what do you want to do with each of the 3 user
/home dirs. Since /home from some other machine(1) will overlay the /home
dir of the machine(3) it is automounted to. When user 2 wants his dir from
machine(3) to be mounted on machine 4 it might not be there.

The standard solution is to centralize on one machine from which all users
are added their home files. /home/users/$userjoe is often used as this way
when automounted on another machine the normal /home/$adminuser files are
not overlayed. Yes you want say uid 500 user: minime to be created on each
machine that way you can ssh/telnet/rlogin as that user prior to su - for
maintenance. Clear as mud right ? While it may seem like overkill once set
up NIS on a home lan is worth the effort.

Non standard solution is to backup to a central server the user /home files
from machines they normally sit at and then if they sit at another machine
automount from the backup files.

Aside: auto.master and auto.home are normally included in a standard NIS
make thus they need to be maintained on the NIS server only.

hope this helped.
ppd

1. Linux AMD/Autofs/NFS make Solaris2.5 NFS/NIS+ server crash, when using CSSC ...

to resume:
when we use the SCCS clone called CSSC (it it important),
on our Linux nodes using "amd" and "autofs" automounter
the solaris NIS and NFS server became non functional

detail:
on our network we had
- a big Solaris 2.5 NFS v3/v2 server, exporting many volume that are autmounted
- a Solaris NIS+ running in NIS compatibility mode,
  by the way it exports an auto.home NIS+ table
- many Solaris workstation that automount /home volumes from the servers
  according to local /etc/auto.home file, not the nis table . it also use
  a /net automount directory that contain the hosts on the networks
 and their exported volume

then we added Linux hosts (suse 6.0 and redhat 5.2) with
-amd from redhat 5.2,  or amd from Suse 5.3 for the suse nodes
 it automounts a /net directory that contain the hosts on the networks
 and their exported volume
-autofs that use the auto.master and auto.home NIS table to export.

this works most of the time, but
when I'm using the SCCS clone called CSSC
(maybe because of some lock on NFS ?)
the whole network hang on NFS volumes.

yet NIS and showmount seems OK
all mount do fail. since all is done through
automount I accuse the automounter but
maybe is it the NFS.

is this a known problem?

2. newbie << unix command question.

3. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

4. problem figuring out which dimm in e250 is bad

5. NIS , NFS and autofs

6. How to check the randomness of numbers ?

7. NIS + NFS + autofs

8. How to kill dead FTP process automaticly?

9. using autofs 3.1.1 and NIS+ with a Solaris NFS server

10. using autofs and nis with sun nis server

11. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

12. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

13. problems w/ autofs and NIS