Netscape with Cable Modem

Post by Sanford J. Asma » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 13:49:10

I have a cable modem connected to my ethernet network through
a Linksys router/switch.  My Win98 and Win2000 machines all
connect to the Internet with no problem, but the only way I can connect
to the Internet with Netscape on my linux box is to use a dial up modem.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

How do I configure Netscape to look to eth0, rather than the modem????

Thanks,

Sandy

Netscape with Cable Modem

Post by cyberte.. » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a cable modem connected to my ethernet network through
> a Linksys router/switch.  My Win98 and Win2000 machines all
> connect to the Internet with no problem, but the only way I can
> connect to the Internet with Netscape on my linux box is to use a dial
> up modem.

> Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

> How do I configure Netscape to look to eth0, rather than the modem????

> Thanks,

> Sandy

Linux uses routing tables to determine which interface network packets
go to.  To examine the routing table try:

/sbin/route -n

The last entry should be the "default route" and should look something
sorta like (some info missing here):

destination     gateway      netmask     interface
0.0.0.0         w.x.y.z      0.0.0.0     eth0

Your configuration most likely has ppp0 as the default interface.  If
so, you need to delete that entry from the routing table and make eth0
your default route.

When you get the network card working will you still need the modem at
all?  If not, I'd suggest disabling ppp altogether.  That will make
setup much easier.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Netscape with Cable Modem

Post by Dave Kristo » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> I have a cable modem connected to my ethernet network through
> a Linksys router/switch.  My Win98 and Win2000 machines all
> connect to the Internet with no problem, but the only way I can connect
> to the Internet with Netscape on my linux box is to use a dial up modem.

> Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

> How do I configure Netscape to look to eth0, rather than the modem????

Ordinarily it shouldn't make a difference how you've connected to the
Internet.

Here's a long-shot possibility:  is it possible your Netscape is
configured to use your dial-up ISP's web proxy?  If so, it's
possible/likely that the proxy is inaccessible from your cable ISP.
Change your proxy setting to "Direct Connection to the Internet".  (It's
in Edit|Preferences, Advanced|Proxies.)

Dave Kristol

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. hardware power on only message

3. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

4. PPP-2.2.0f installation problems

5. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

6. no _HideCursor - am I the only one?

7. Setting up Netscape with a Cable Modem. Help!

8. Xkernal starting X error

9. Cable Modem and Netscape

10. Netscape can't find my cable modem...

11. Netscape Mail & @home cable modems

12. How to use Netscape over Linux using cable modem?

13. Cox Cable installing a cable modem