DHCP setup

Post by D » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 02:47:28

Hi,

I am trying to setup a DHCP server on my linux machine that I am in the
process of configuring to act as a gateway, via a cable modem, using 2
network cards.

I am running RH7.0 and have installed dhcp-2.0-12.i386.rpm.  I have read
that I need to give subnet entries for all subnets on my network, so I have
placed one for eth0 on 192.168.1.0.  I'm not sure how to include eth1 (where
the cable modem assigns it an IP via DHCP) as everything I have tried gives
me the same error when trying to start the DHCP server using the command,

... ]# dhcpd start

No subnet declaration for start (0.0.0.0).
Please write a subnet declaration for the network segment to
which interface start is attached.
exiting.

Thanks in advance,
Darren

DHCP setup

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:18:24

Hi!,

Quote:> I am trying to setup a DHCP server on my linux machine that I am in the
> process of configuring to act as a gateway, via a cable modem, using 2
> network cards.

> I am running RH7.0 and have installed dhcp-2.0-12.i386.rpm.  I have read
> that I need to give subnet entries for all subnets on my network, so I have
> placed one for eth0 on 192.168.1.0.  I'm not sure how to include eth1
> (where the cable modem assigns it an IP via DHCP) as everything I have
> tried gives me the same error when trying to start the DHCP server using
> the command,

> ... ]# dhcpd start

> No subnet declaration for start (0.0.0.0).
> Please write a subnet declaration for the network segment to
> which interface start is attached.
> exiting.

You might like to take a look at the DHCP-Mini-HOWTO which is located at
http://www.linuxdoc.org.  You only need to write a subnet declaration in your
dhcpcd.conf file for the subnet you wish to hand out IP's on.  As a result,
you won't need to touch the IP address range for the network card which your
ISP is connected to as it is already taken care of by the ISP provider.

Your subnet declaration should only be something like:

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
   range 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.200;

Quote:}

Of course there are more options than this in the configuration file.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. dhcp setup problem

Hi,

I am trying use dhcp to configure my ethernet interface, which is
connected to the internet via a cable modem (roadrunner).  When I start
dhcpcd, it generates the following message in the syslog file.
SIOCSIFBRDADDRESS:  Cannot assign requested address  (ifConfig).
When I stepped through the program, I found that this happens right in
the beginning, when the program is trying to reset the eth0 interface.
It tries to set the broadcast address to 255.255.255.255.

I got the same result with versions 0.6 and 0.7 of dhcpcd.  I am running
the Linux kernel version 2.1.99.  I would like any pointers on what
might be causing this error.

By the way, here are some other network related error messages that I
get during startup.  I don't know if these are related to the original
problem.

(1) inetd[624]: netbios-ssn/tcp: bind: Address already in use
The relevant line in the /etc/services file reads
netbios-ssn     139/tcp   # NETBIOS session service
netbios-ssn     139/udp

 (2) routed[692]: adding route to net/host nnn.nnn.nnn.0 through gateway
nnn.nnn.nnn.0: Invalid argument
(where nnn.nnn.nnn represents the network part of my IP address)
To the best of my knowledge, I have set the default (and only) gateway
address to nnn.nnn.nnn.1

I really appreciate your help and suggestions on this.  Please send a
copy of your reply to my

-bhushan

2. Linux & G3 on L2 Cache

3. Need help with DHCP setup -> Solaris 7

4. Free Unix History (was Re: On Kaleb Keithley's neg. comments on Linux (Xaw3d Distrib.))

5. hostname, solaris 8, dhcp setup

6. Will Solaris 2.6 work on a Dell Latitude LM?

7. RH 5.2 DHCP setup.

8. FAQ on Vacation this week

9. DHCP setup of FreeBSD box on home.com

10. dhcp setup

11. DHCP setup problem on Solaris 8 (help needed)

12. DHCP setup

13. DHCP SETUP