Can't Browse Samba Shares from XP Home Edition

Can't Browse Samba Shares from XP Home Edition

Post by Ken » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:20:54

I have a partially working home LAN. I have 4 computers in the
network.
There is a firewall/gateway PC running Linux (Smoothwall distro), a
file server running Samba 2.2.7 and 2 Windows machines running XP Home
adition. From either XP machine, I can map drives and access shares of
the Samba machine with no problems. Commands that use \\server\share
work fine.

I can't browse any machine on the network however. When I click on the
workgroup
name from My Network Places, I get "The network name cannot be found".

Attached is the smb.conf file. Any suggestions on what to try would be
greatly appreciated.

I have read many emails and read many articls but still cannot
get the browsing function to work from the XP machines.

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
 interfaces = eth0
 writeable = yes
 allow hosts = 192.168.0. 127.
 dns proxy = no
 security = user
 encrypt passwords = yes
 server string = CC
 workgroup = Watlan
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 netbios name = fserver
 bind interfaces only = no
 load printers = yes
 guest account =
 wide links = no
 os level = 20
 username map = /etc/samba/user.map
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 max log size = 50

[shared]
 path = /home/shared
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 comment = Shared Folder
 create mode = 700
 directory mode = 700
 printable = no

[Backups]
 path = /backup
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 dont descend = /backup/lost+found

[homes]
 browseable = no
 create mode = 700
 directory mode = 700

Can't Browse Samba Shares from XP Home Edition

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:32:03

Quote:> I have a partially working home LAN. I have 4 computers in the
> network.
> There is a firewall/gateway PC running Linux (Smoothwall distro), a
> file server running Samba 2.2.7 and 2 Windows machines running XP Home
> adition. From either XP machine, I can map drives and access shares of
> the Samba machine with no problems. Commands that use \\server\share
> work fine.

> I can't browse any machine on the network however. When I click on the
> workgroup
> name from My Network Places, I get "The network name cannot be found".

> Attached is the smb.conf file. Any suggestions on what to try would be
> greatly appreciated.

> I have read many emails and read many articls but still cannot
> get the browsing function to work from the XP machines.

> #======================= Global Settings
> =====================================
> [global]
>  interfaces = eth0
>  writeable = yes
>  allow hosts = 192.168.0. 127.
>  dns proxy = no
>  security = user
>  encrypt passwords = yes
>  server string = CC
>  workgroup = Watlan
>  valid users = ken,maria,admin
>  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>  netbios name = fserver
>  bind interfaces only = no
>  load printers = yes
>  guest account =
>  wide links = no
>  os level = 20
>  username map = /etc/samba/user.map
>  printcap name = /etc/printcap
>  max log size = 50

> [shared]
>  path = /home/shared
>  valid users = ken,maria,admin
>  comment = Shared Folder
>  create mode = 700
>  directory mode = 700
>  printable = no

> [Backups]
>  path = /backup
>  valid users = ken,maria,admin
>  dont descend = /backup/lost+found

> [homes]
>  browseable = no
>  create mode = 700
>  directory mode = 700

This is a master browser service contention.  You should let you samba
machine act as the master browser for the network and have it serve as a
WINS box also.  That will make your life easier for the "Network
Nieghborhood" stuff.  Also make sure that all machines are set to the same
workgroup name.

wins support = true
netbios name = <servername>
os level = 32
workgroup = Workgroup

Changing the os level to 32 will make sure that browser elections are won by
the samba server.  Each type of OS with function (ie Domain controller) has
a level assigned to it.  The higher the level, the more priority it has to
control the browser services.

ken k

Can't Browse Samba Shares from XP Home Edition

Post by mark » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:04:54

Cooments inline

> > I have a partially working home LAN. I have 4 computers in the
> > network.
> > There is a firewall/gateway PC running Linux (Smoothwall distro), a
> > file server running Samba 2.2.7 and 2 Windows machines running XP Home
> > adition. From either XP machine, I can map drives and access shares of
> > the Samba machine with no problems. Commands that use \\server\share
> > work fine.

> > I can't browse any machine on the network however. When I click on the
> > workgroup
> > name from My Network Places, I get "The network name cannot be found".

> > Attached is the smb.conf file. Any suggestions on what to try would be
> > greatly appreciated.

> > I have read many emails and read many articls but still cannot
> > get the browsing function to work from the XP machines.

> > #======================= Global Settings
> > =====================================
> > [global]
> >  interfaces = eth0
> >  writeable = yes
> >  allow hosts = 192.168.0. 127.
> >  dns proxy = no
> >  security = user
> >  encrypt passwords = yes
> >  server string = CC
> >  workgroup = Watlan
> >  valid users = ken,maria,admin
> >  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> >  netbios name = fserver
> >  bind interfaces only = no
> >  load printers = yes
> >  guest account =
> >  wide links = no
> >  os level = 20
> >  username map = /etc/samba/user.map
> >  printcap name = /etc/printcap
> >  max log size = 50

;Samba is the domain and local master browser.
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes

Quote:

> > [shared]
> >  path = /home/shared
> >  valid users = ken,maria,admin
> >  comment = Shared Folder
> >  create mode = 700
> >  directory mode = 700
> >  printable = no
Browseable = yes

> > [Backups]
> >  path = /backup
> >  valid users = ken,maria,admin
> >  dont descend = /backup/lost+found

??? try:
don't descend = /backup/lost+found
Browseable = yes

Quote:

> > [homes]
> >  browseable = no
> >  create mode = 700
> >  directory mode = 700

The info that was posted below is probably not relevant to the issue.
99% of the time the "network path not found" message is caused by the
linux pc default firewall (usually Redhat) blocking ports 137-139. In
your case you did not specify which Linux distro you are using....Try
installing a great program called Nmap. It is a terminal app which will
tell you what ports are open on any pc on your network, and any other
network also. You can download from almost any reputable Linux site, it
is probably on your install cd's.
For more help with Samba in general, see my webpage below.

Quote:> This is a master browser service contention.  You should let you samba

--
Regards,
Mark

1. XP home edition and samba

I've updated my wife's computer from Win98 to XP-home edition and find I
can no longer run the login scripts from my samba server.

We have a small home network which includes her computer and a linux
machine running samba.  This has been configured so the "NT login" script
used by samba will copy user settings and such to the Win machine when we
log in and mount the linux home directory in Windows so that we can read
the same mailboxes, etc whether we log in on the Windows machine or the
linux machine.  This was working well with Win98 but doesn't run the "NT
login" script with XP-home.

Looking through deja and other places, it appears that XP-home does not
support NT domains -- is this prehaps the problem, and if so is there a
registry tweak of some kind to enable this such as was possible in
enabling NT server functions on an NT workstation installation?  Paying
another $100 for XP-Pro doesn't appeal to me at all; I think I'd rather go
back to Win98 and put up with the annoying stability problems than do
that (all the important stuff is on the linux machine anyway, and
available through samba).

Curiously, some people insist that Win9x/ME was never able to join an NT
domain anyway, so might it be possible to simply convince XP-home to run
the darn "NT login" script like Win98 does?

Thanks for any ideas...

--

2. printer question

3. Samba-2.2.2 (Solaris-8) & ms-windows-XP (home edition)

4. /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP 144.137.196.73:6699 - How to allow...

5. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

6. User supported dirs

7. NT can't browse samba shares but Win98

8. New to linux questions

9. Can't Browse Samba Shares

10. Can XP home edition coexist with Linux on Satellite?

11. OT: Windows XP home edition

12. Can't map a share from Windoze XP Pro to Samba

13. Win XP will not browse SAMBA