ppp doesn't work...chat script is the problem?

ppp doesn't work...chat script is the problem?

Post by Norman Leitma » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'm running Redhat 4.2 and trying to dial my ISP and connect using ppp.

I added kdebug 25 to the /etc/ppp/options file, so that I get an output log of all of the characters
going through the serial port.  I see that I make the connection successfully, and data gets
transferred both ways.  At some point, I get "ppp_tty_read: no data (EAGAIN)".  After several of
these (these are separated by some transmits), I get "IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests".  When
I do an ifconfig, I dont see the ppp0 entry, and if I try to do an ftp, I get "network unreachable"
messages.

I understand that after the physical connection is made, the LCP (link layer protocol is set up),
and then the IPCP (ip protocol) is set up.  I never get the LCP messages.

I believe that my ISP is waiting for me to send more information after I send my login and password.
Under Windows, I use a pop-up terminal.  After entering the login and password, I must close the
pop-up window, which then establishes the connection and starts the ppp server at the ISP.  I don't
know how to do the equivalent operation using the chat script.  How do I start the ppp server at the
ISP ("close the pop-up terminal") after sending the login and password?  In my log file I see that
everything is correct up to the point I finish entering these...but I never get past this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Norm Leitman

Bell Labs Multimedia Research
Lucent Technologies

1. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

While I can run CSLIP using a DIP script with no provblem, I haven't been
able to get ppp to work. I'm using a ppp-on script adapted for my host
site, but it just falls through to the error message (no lockfile problem).
The ppp driver is in my kernel; I'm on kerneo 1.1.18, and using ppp 2.1.2a.
The chat script won't get my modem dialing. Modem as the device does not
work, neither does cua1 (which I use for SLIP). I will be glad to supply
any additional information needed. And yes, ppp IS in /etc/ppp, and
installed properly, as far as I can tell. Thanks for any help. I have RTFM.

2. blocksize control on tape /dev/sa0

3. PPP Problem--PPPD & CHAT doesn't hit modem, Miniconfig works, but...

4. parport woes

5. script for ppp connection (I can't make 'chat' work)

6. NeXTSTEP survey

7. PPP - chat script doesn't execute

8. Newcomer:Serial port sillyness

9. PPP/Chat: Working chat script Linux==>SCO?

10. Why doesn't my ppp-on script work when su'ing

11. problem with 'chat' scripts and ppp connection

12. PPP and Netcom, Can't get pppd and chat to work...need someones script files...

13. Chat script problem, doesn't seem to talk to modem