unknown ip on network

Post by Harry Par » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I run NTOP on our LAN. This LAN is part of a WAN that is firewalled.  I
have no control over the firewall.
I noticed an IP address had downloaded 450 megs from somewhere on my
LAN. I tried pinging the address and
couldn't reach it from my LAN ditto http and nslookup.

I came home and logged on to my ISP. I could ping the ip but could not
ftp, telnet, or http to the address. Nslookup
failed.

I should also note that NTOP reported most of the traffic asUDP.

My question is how do I figure out what happened? Is there anyway of
determing what the IP is?

Harry

unknown ip on network

Post by Bob » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

A simple traceroute would show Where the address is connected to!

From there you can gleam all sorts of info....

> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:22:33 -0400

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
> Subject: unknown ip on network

> I run NTOP on our LAN. This LAN is part of a WAN that is firewalled.  I
> have no control over the firewall.
> I noticed an IP address had downloaded 450 megs from somewhere on my
> LAN. I tried pinging the address and
> couldn't reach it from my LAN ditto http and nslookup.

> I came home and logged on to my ISP. I could ping the ip but could not
> ftp, telnet, or http to the address. Nslookup
> failed.

> I should also note that NTOP reported most of the traffic asUDP.

> My question is how do I figure out what happened? Is there anyway of
> determing what the IP is?

> Harry

Bob PHILLIPS
Director/System Administrator

                                |  http://www.norcom.net.au
Yes, I am on the interthingy    |  If it aint broke, fix it, then it will be
     dotnet dotau Pty Ltd PO Box 2762 SOUTH HEDLAND WA 6722 AUSTRALIA

unknown ip on network

Post by Harry Par » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> A simple traceroute would show Where the address is connected to!

> From there you can gleam all sorts of info....

Traceroute, from outside the firewall just runs and returns nothing, although I
can ping to it.

1. unknown ip on network

I run NTOP on our LAN. This LAN is part of a WAN that is firewalled.  I
have no control over the firewall.
I noticed an IP address had downloaded 450 megs from somewhere on my
LAN. I tried pinging the address and
couldn't reach it from my LAN ditto http and nslookup.

I came home and logged on to my ISP. I could ping the ip but could not
ftp, telnet, or http to the address. Nslookup
failed.

I should also note that NTOP reported most of the traffic asUDP.

My question is how do I figure out what happened? Is there anyway of
determing what the IP is?

Harry

2. help with cron jobs

3. Unknown Network Problem (with dynamic ip)

4. "set_fs()" and "get_fs( )" ??

5. S1692DL Tiger 2 unknown PCI bridge :unknown Host bridge :unknown PCI Device

6. This may seem stupid...

7. Can you sandwich valid IP networks in between invalid IP networks?

8. installation: Generic CDROM not detected

9. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

10. 2.5.73-bk5 -- intermezzo.ko needs unknown symbol set_fs_root, vga16fb.ko needs unknown symbol screen_info

11. unknown host - unknown problem!!

12. pppd[212]: lcp_reqci: rcvd unknown option 19; pppd[212]: input: Unknown protocol (80fd) received!

13. newbie question - IP configuration for new internet server on network with multiple IP blocks