2 Computer Peer-to-Peer networking troubles

2 Computer Peer-to-Peer networking troubles

Post by Brian Luczkiewic » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to set up a 10BaseT peer to peer network of 2 linux computers
(want to eventually add 1 win9x computer later). I can't find any
documentation on setting up this kind of thing. The Networking overview, the
NET-3 HOWTO, and the RH6.0 install guide all seem to have either bad
instructions or they don't work. Anyways, I've been up all night 2 days in a
row, and I need this network to happen. I am using 2 PCI ne2000 based cards
if that is important, but I think software configuration is my problem. My
error is "cant find route to remote host" or something like that when I try
to telnet to the other computer using ip addresses that I set up. If anyone
can help, Email me...
-Zorr

2 Computer Peer-to-Peer networking troubles

Post by wrex » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Native networking is built into Linux. If you have correctly configure your
network card and IP, netmask etc. You should be able to ping the other
computer, vise versa. If that can be done then the 2 computers are
networked.

If you want to transfer file etc then you have to configure the nfs or
samba.

>I am trying to set up a 10BaseT peer to peer network of 2 linux computers
>(want to eventually add 1 win9x computer later). I can't find any
>documentation on setting up this kind of thing. The Networking overview,
the
>NET-3 HOWTO, and the RH6.0 install guide all seem to have either bad
>instructions or they don't work. Anyways, I've been up all night 2 days in
>row, and I need this network to happen. I am using 2 PCI ne2000 based cards
>if that is important, but I think software configuration is my problem. My
>error is "cant find route to remote host" or something like that when I try
>to telnet to the other computer using ip addresses that I set up. If anyone
>can help, Email me...
>-Zorr

2 Computer Peer-to-Peer networking troubles

Post by wrex » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

use ifconfig command to see if your network setup properly on each of the
computer.
also route to see if routing is setup properly.

You can get the trinity OS document from David Ranch's web site. It is an
excellent reading to the whole Linux setup.

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/TrinityOS.wri

Post by Bill Unr » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I am trying to set up a 10BaseT peer to peer network of 2 linux computers
>(want to eventually add 1 win9x computer later). I can't find any
>documentation on setting up this kind of thing. The Networking overview, the
>NET-3 HOWTO, and the RH6.0 install guide all seem to have either bad
>instructions or they don't work. Anyways, I've been up all night 2 days in a
>row, and I need this network to happen. I am using 2 PCI ne2000 based cards
>if that is important, but I think software configuration is my problem. My
>error is "cant find route to remote host" or something like that when I try
>to telnet to the other computer using ip addresses that I set up. If anyone
>can help, Email me...
>-Zorr

So, make a route.
First do
route -n
to see what you have now.
We also do not know what ethernet addresses you have assigned the
various machines. Lets say in the 192.168.0.x range
then add
route add -net 192.168.0.0 eth0

(of course first of all you should make sure that eth0 is actually
running on your machine
ifconfig will tell you if eth0 is up)

But more simply you could just use the control-panel in redhat, choose
the network configuration tool, and configure your network with that.

2 Computer Peer-to-Peer networking troubles

Post by YouDontKnowWh » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I assume that they both have the same settings, with the exception of
IP addresses (i.e, mask, etc).

Can they ping each other?

Have you listed them in their respective /etc/hosts file?

What does the ifconfig command tell you?  Do you have an eth0?

--
And now we return to our regularly scheduled,
uncommonly entertaining thread...

>>I am trying to set up a 10BaseT peer to peer network of 2 linux
computers
>>(want to eventually add 1 win9x computer later). I can't find any
>>documentation on setting up this kind of thing. The Networking
overview, the
>>NET-3 HOWTO, and the RH6.0 install guide all seem to have either bad
>>instructions or they don't work. Anyways, I've been up all night 2
days in a
>>row, and I need this network to happen. I am using 2 PCI ne2000
based cards
>>if that is important, but I think software configuration is my
problem. My
>>error is "cant find route to remote host" or something like that
when I try
>>to telnet to the other computer using ip addresses that I set up. If
anyone
>>can help, Email me...
>>-Zorr

>So, make a route.
>First do
>route -n
>to see what you have now.
>We also do not know what ethernet addresses you have assigned the
>various machines. Lets say in the 192.168.0.x range
>then add
>route add -net 192.168.0.0 eth0

>(of course first of all you should make sure that eth0 is actually
>running on your machine
>ifconfig will tell you if eth0 is up)

>But more simply you could just use the control-panel in redhat,
choose
>the network configuration tool, and configure your network with that.

1. peer-to-peer or client/server networking?which one better?

if a company has 3 different departments that are Accounting
Department, Human Resource Department and Sales & Marketing
Department. This company is implementing e-commerce business where
availability and reliability of the services to the customers and to
the staff are crucial. Addition to that the company requires a highly
secure and manageable network administration. Thus which type of
network relationship is suitable for this company? Peer-to-peer or
Client/Server network? Why u choose this and why not choose the other?
peer-to-peer or client/server networking?which one better?

2. running windows apps

3. peer-to-peer network

4. Solaris 2.4, NIS, and netgroups misbehaving

5. Peer-to-Peer Network of LINUX Workstations, IS IT POSSIBLE?

6. Time resets under KDE

7. peer-to-peer network help

8. Using gated or eql to connect 1isp 2ppp

9. Problems with peer-to-peer networking over ethernet

10. Peer-to-peer network between a Linux and a DOS

11. how do I setup a peer-to-peer network with Linux??

12. _Networking Ques.: Is "Peer-to-Peer" Networking Possible Among Multiple Linux Standalone Machines?

13. Linux Peer-to-Peer networking problems