Can't get "chat" to connect me to "Concentric"

Can't get "chat" to connect me to "Concentric"

Post by Tom » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I recently switched from Netcom to Conecntric as my ISP. The
"Send-Expect" sequence is different with Concentric and I have not been
able to match it in my chat script. I have "gotten in" using "minicom"
by typing in the required information by hand and I believe that I know
what the sequence is that Concentric uses (user:   Password:) but it
still does not work with chat.

Is there a way that I can capture the output of the chat process to an
Xterm, so that I may observe the interaction between chat and
Concentric?

Or, if anyone out there is usung Concentric with Redhat linux, please
give me an example of your script.

Thank You

Tom

Post by Tom Harringt » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: Hi

: I recently switched from Netcom to Conecntric as my ISP. The
: "Send-Expect" sequence is different with Concentric and I have not been
: able to match it in my chat script. I have "gotten in" using "minicom"
: by typing in the required information by hand and I believe that I know
: what the sequence is that Concentric uses (user:   Password:) but it
: still does not work with chat.

: Is there a way that I can capture the output of the chat process to an
: Xterm, so that I may observe the interaction between chat and
: Concentric?

Have you tried looking at /var/log/messages?  If you run pppd with
the "debug" option, you'll get pppd info there; if you run chat
"verbose" (-v, I think), you'll get chat interactions there as
well.

--

 "Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that
  I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Can't get "chat" to connect me to "Concentric"

Post by Ben » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

In your chat script you should probably remove the first letter or two from
your ISP's responses (ie 'Password' should be 'assword' or even 'word').
Apparently the first character(s) is/are not always received/captured/whatever
and that removing it from your connect script should help.

Good luck,

Ben

> : Hi

> : I recently switched from Netcom to Conecntric as my ISP. The
> : "Send-Expect" sequence is different with Concentric and I have not been
> : able to match it in my chat script. I have "gotten in" using "minicom"
> : by typing in the required information by hand and I believe that I know
> : what the sequence is that Concentric uses (user:   Password:) but it
> : still does not work with chat.

> : Is there a way that I can capture the output of the chat process to an
> : Xterm, so that I may observe the interaction between chat and
> : Concentric?

> Have you tried looking at /var/log/messages?  If you run pppd with
> the "debug" option, you'll get pppd info there; if you run chat
> "verbose" (-v, I think), you'll get chat interactions there as
> well.

> --

>  "Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that
>   I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
> Cookie's Revenge: ftp://ftp.rmi.net/pub2/tph/cookie/cookies-revenge.sit.hqx

My machine: P166+mmx, 32mb ram, 4gb HD with Win95 and Win NT 4.0 and
redhat5.1 co-existed in different partitions.

I issued "sndconfig" within a xterm inside X Window, The program
detects the SB 16 pnp card sets it up with no error message, but when
it launch ModProbe to test out, it gets a message states: An error was
encountered running the ModProbe program."  I tried different IRQ
settings, all ends with the same message.

2nd, When I try to mount /dev/cdrom from File Systerm Manager, the
following error is returned:  Can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/mtab or
/etc/fstab.

3nd, When my machine boots, it halts at "Sendmail" for about 3-5 mins
before it goes to next step.  Obviously there isn't any mail system on
the machine right now because it is a standalone.  How can take this
mail thing out and speed up booting?

last one, Is my Zoom 56k PCI FaxModem a Windmodem that Linux can't use
to connect me to my local isp?

Experts help me out please. thanks.

2. Assignment of character "*" ...

4. mkimage and ld and qmagic

5. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

6. UMSDOS and Large disks

7. "connect" between "bind" and "listen"

8. Backing-up to SCSI tape Drive (2 GB Cartridge)

9. "umsdos" vs "vfat" vs "looped ext2"

10. "Novell-like","non-TCP/IP","networking" OS to place Unix

11. "netstat -nr" should show "default" or "0.0.0.0"?

12. "write" "to" "flon" commands

13. Problems with "df" and "du" on "/var"