Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Zzzzzzz » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 20:06:19

I have a very simple network consisting of a Win 2000 server (running DNS) a
couple of client PC's running Win 2000 Pro and a Redhat Linux server runing
7.1 with apache 1.3.19-5.
My problem is that I can view my web pages from the web server running
Netscape but cant view the webserver at all from the Win 2000 clients
running IE5.5. I can ping the web server from all clients and can ping all
clients from the web server. I can do nslookup and get the IP address of the
webserver from DNS. I have static class 'C' IP adressing and everything is
local as its just a test system and not connected to the outside world yet.
I just cant view the web pages at all using hostname or IP address from the
client browsers.
Any ideas?

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Stratos Karafoti » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 19:20:57

Quote:> I have a very simple network consisting of a Win 2000 server (running DNS) a
> couple of client PC's running Win 2000 Pro and a Redhat Linux server runing
> 7.1 with apache 1.3.19-5.
> My problem is that I can view my web pages from the web server running
> Netscape but cant view the webserver at all from the Win 2000 clients
> running IE5.5. I can ping the web server from all clients and can ping all
> clients from the web server. I can do nslookup and get the IP address of the
> webserver from DNS. I have static class 'C' IP adressing and everything is
> local as its just a test system and not connected to the outside world yet.
> I just cant view the web pages at all using hostname or IP address from the
> client browsers.
> Any ideas?

Hi

1) Check if your firewall (if any) blocks port 80
2) Check if apache listen on the specified IP (Listen option in
httpd.conf)

--
Stratos Karafotis
Electrical & Computer Engineer

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Zzzzzzz » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:52:50

Thanks for your suggestions Stratos. It turned out to be a problem with the
firewall after all. I couldnt understand why when I checked the firewall
settings that they were set to High security, when I did the install I
remember selecting medium security. But then I remembered that the install
didnt recognise the network card and that I had to install it manualy after
the install finished, presumably when you install the network card later it
defaults to high security on the firewall.
Anyway thanks again.
Its all working fine now.
I'm going to try and set up FTP and Telnet now do you have any suggestions
as to any good Win2000 utillities that are good for the job?
Regards
Zzzzzz

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Stratos Karafoti » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:17:24

Quote:> I'm going to try and set up FTP and Telnet now do you have any suggestions
> as to any good Win2000 utillities that are good for the job?

If you mean clients, I use CuteFTP and SecureCRT respectively.
But if you are going to connect your server to internet I suggest to
install ssh server (sshd) on your web server and user SecureCRT. This
will replace both ftp and telnet server and will be more secure

--
Stratos Karafotis
Electrical & Computer Engineer

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Zzzzzzz » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 01:13:48

What I want to do is be able to ftp my web pages to my webserver from my
Win2000 client..I downloaded CuteFTP but I cant get a connection betwen my
Win2000 Client and the Linux/Apache Webserver even when I use either Cute
FTP or even the command prompt FTP command I just get a "connection refused"
message.
Its strange because I can FTP from the Linux box to my Win2000 FTP server no
problems..but I cant establish a connection the other way..Ive checked the
firewall settings this time and FTP is definatley active..
Any more ideas.
Zzzzzzzz

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Stratos Karafoti » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:15:23

Quote:> What I want to do is be able to ftp my web pages to my webserver from my
> Win2000 client..I downloaded CuteFTP but I cant get a connection betwen my
> Win2000 Client and the Linux/Apache Webserver even when I use either Cute
> FTP or even the command prompt FTP command I just get a "connection refused"
> message.
> Its strange because I can FTP from the Linux box to my Win2000 FTP server no
> problems..but I cant establish a connection the other way..Ive checked the
> firewall settings this time and FTP is definatley active..
> Any more ideas.

You need a ftp server on your linux box. RedHat 7.1 installs wu-ftpd
There is a file /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd.
Check if there is an option disable = yes. Change it to 'no'.
Restart xinetd.
If there is not such file install wu-ftpd package from RedHat CD's.

--
Stratos Karafotis
Electrical & Computer Engineer

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Zzzzzzz » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:56:47

Thanks again your suggestion solved the problem! I can now FTP from my
client PC's to my linux web server. The only thing I have noticed is that I
can't log in to the web server as root via FTP is there a reason for that?
its not a huge problem as I can log in as any of the users that I have setup
myself but it would be slightly easier to log in as root.
Also ive noticed that my screen goes blank after a couple of minutes of non
use and then I cant access my web pages or ftp or anything from the clients,
I have to go over to the server and hit a key on the keyboard to wake it up
again..I thought it was some kind of screen saver(i've checked the
screensaver settings and they are set to no screensaver) or energy save but
I cant seem to switch it off..I have a feeling that it is a problem with low
memory as the machine i'm running Apache on only has 32MB of Ram sometimes
the screen cuts out when I start up an application..either that or I ned to
reconfigure xconfigurator....again any help would be appreciatted.
Thanks again for all your help so far.

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Stratos Karafoti » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 17:44:45

Quote:> Thanks again your suggestion solved the problem! I can now FTP from my
> client PC's to my linux web server. The only thing I have noticed is that I
> can't log in to the web server as root via FTP is there a reason for that?

Yes. By default root can't ftp for security reasons. FTP protocol sends
paswords in plain text... You can enable root ftp removing 'root' from
/etc/ftpusers (man ftpusers for details).

Quote:> Also ive noticed that my screen goes blank after a couple of minutes of non
> use and then I cant access my web pages or ftp or anything from the clients,
> I have to go over to the server and hit a key on the keyboard to wake it up
> again..I thought it was some kind of screen saver(i've checked the
> screensaver settings and they are set to no screensaver) or energy save but
> I cant seem to switch it off..I have a feeling that it is a problem with low
> memory as the machine i'm running Apache on only has 32MB of Ram sometimes
> the screen cuts out when I start up an application..either that or I ned to
> reconfigure xconfigurator....again any help would be appreciatted.
> Thanks again for all your help so far.

It seems to me power management problem but I really don't know...
Do you run apmd ? Try stopping it.

--
Stratos Karafotis
Electrical & Computer Engineer

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Zzzzzzz » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:48:08

Thanks Startos,
I found that by disabling the Energy Star option in my bios, that my system
no longer cuts out to the point where I cant access web pages ftp etc so I
can live with that. I couldnt see any reference to apmd (no directory
/proc/apm) so I presume its not installed.
I tried to hash out the root user from the /etc/ftpusers file but still cant
gain ftp access as root..any other sugestions..the only reason that I want
to ftp as root is so that I can gain access to var/www/html although perhaps
it would be easier to grant access to that directory to another user.
Regards

Problem with Apache/RedHat/Win 2000

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:34:02

Hi!,

Quote:> Thanks Startos,
> I found that by disabling the Energy Star option in my bios, that my system
> no longer cuts out to the point where I cant access web pages ftp etc so I
> can live with that. I couldnt see any reference to apmd (no directory
> /proc/apm) so I presume its not installed.
> I tried to hash out the root user from the /etc/ftpusers file but still
> cant gain ftp access as root..any other sugestions..the only reason that I
> want to ftp as root is so that I can gain access to var/www/html although
> perhaps it would be easier to grant access to that directory to another
> user.

Either create a "www" user which has the ability to control your web site, or
if you must use "root" use some sort of SSH utility which will allow you to
copy files to your system "over an encrypted channel".

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. smbmount problem with Win NT and Win 2000

Hello.  I'm running Redhat 7.2 and getting the error listed below while
trying to mount or list a Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 system.  The IP
address and Domain have been changed in the exmaple below.

The command is:
% smbclient -NL remote_nt_box

The error is this:
added interface ip=1.2.3.4 bcast=1.2.3.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[whatever] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]

         Sharename      Type      Comment
         ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

Running this produces the error listed below:
% mount -t smbfs -o username=someguy //xexo/shared /mnt/xexo
Password:
13897: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

Thanks,
Douglas

2. x86config vid modes

3. redhat 6.0 & win 2000

4. Please help with X

5. networking Win 2000 and Redhat 7

6. how: linux client on NT network?

7. redhat 7.1 and win 2000

8. KERNEL REOPRTS WRONG VERSION NUMBER

9. LPPC 2000 CD Won't mount in Redhat Text Installer

10. Linksys router, Redhat and Win 2000

11. Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

12. How can I access drive of Win NT and Win 2000 machines from Solaris 8?

13. dualbooting Linux & Microsoft platforms (Win 98, NT, Win 2000)