TCP/UDP checksum error with IP masquerading

TCP/UDP checksum error with IP masquerading

Post by Laze » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'm running IP masqurading on my linuxbox with a modem connected to
internet and Win95 computers on the LAN network. After a while I get
alot of checksum errors in /var/log/messages like:
Kernel: MASQ failed TCP/UPD checksum from x.x.x.x!
where x.x.x.x is some IP on the internet.

I'm using ipfwadm:
ipfwadm -F -p accept
ipfwadm -I -p accept
ipfwadm -O -p accept
ipfwadm -a masquerade -S 10.0.0.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

What causes the checksum errors???

1. IP masquerading : TCP/UDP checksum errors

Setup:
Firewall consisting of 2 linux boxes,
linux box with ISDN modem has (now) slackware 2.0.30 (with todays pre-31-2
patch), used to be 2.0.30, 2.0.29, 2.0.27.

using diald/ppp to connect to provider.

Things work fine and shiny, most of the time,
only every now and then we get the horrendous TCP/UDP checksum error,
resulting in stalled netscape

(just half an hour ago netscape hung itself after almost having dopwnlaoed
the 4.01 version ;( ...)

I checked the IP_masq webpages, and they suggest *not* using an MTU lower
than 1500 ??

Could anyone shed some light on this ??

Thanks muchos

2. RH 6.2 Installation Error

3. strange masquerading error: failed TCP/UDP checksum for x.x.x.x!

4. Looking for experiences with Veritas volume manager and FS

5. IP MASQ : TCP/UDP checksum errors

6. looking for sync rates: MAG Innovision MX17 F/S

7. Masquerading and TCP/UDP checksum

8. 3c509 card not being properly loaded by modprobe at bootup

9. failed TCP/UDP checksum from <ip.address>!

10. IP Masq. failed TCP/UDP checksums

11. kernel: MASQ: failed TCP/UDP checksum from IP address

12. MASQ: Getting frequent TCP/UDP checksum errors