Email via dedicated POP/mail server?

Post by Sarunas Burdul » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Good day,

I am connected the company's LAN and a router to another network where
the POP server is running.

What do I need in Linux in order receive and send my email through the
account on that server?

I understand I can send mail directly from my PC, but at least for a
while I would prefer to use the old POP account on an existing server.

Sorry, if there is an obvious solution --- these are my first days
with Unix...

Thanks,
Sarunas

Post by Marcus Erb » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Good day,

>I am connected the company's LAN and a router to another network where
>the POP server is running.

>What do I need in Linux in order receive and send my email through the
>account on that server?

You can use the program popclient to pop you email from a pop-server, but why do
you want to send your e-mail over the pop-account ? You can send it with SMTP
direct to the destination. Sendmail does this on default.

bye

Marcus.

 _    _
| \  / | Marcus Erber, Technische Universitaet Wien

| |\/| | <a href="http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227384"> meine Homepage </a>

1. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

Let's take a look at this scenario:

I have two mail accounts, one on academic Unix server A and second
at my office - Unix server B. And there is also Win95/NT PC on my desk.
Practicaly I use Internet only from my PC. There is proxy gateway for
http and ftp outbound connections. No pops, telnets and other services
outside the office. You know - security.
And, let's assume, all inbound mail is CCopied to my boss.

And where is the problem?
I want to have all my private mail (sent to my academic account)
on my desk - Internet Mail, Pegasus or sth like that.

Forwarding mail from one account to the other does not provide security.
My office Unix server is "untrusted", so all forwarded mail should
arrive encoded. And decoding should be done by my pop3 client, just on
my desk.

So, some procmail action should be taken at Server A to encode (by pgp?)
and forward mail. And some automatical decoding at my desk.

Any help?
Any URL, sample conf and tips?

Regards
tko

2. newfs question

3. Linux dedicated UT server vs. Win32 dedicated server ?

4. Windows and FreeBSD

5. Cannot connect to mail server via pop/imap

6. FrontPage for Apache 1.3.12

7. POP to POP mail servers

8. NE1000 Network card

9. can't get e-mails from ISP POP server through Linux proxy server

10. Dedicated Unix dedicated Server

11. Linux as Mail Gateway & POP Mail Server

12. Getting e-mail to work on our dedicated server

13. HELP: Mail/Pop Server Can't Received Mail