r-commands Permission denied.

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

My desktop "truffula" and laptop "humfish" are connected by ethernet.
Telnet, rlogin, and ftp work, but rlogin always requires a password.
Humfish can run xv on truffula's X server.
Truffula exports filesystems which humfish mounts by NFS.

Given any arguments except a hostname, rsh and rcp commands fail in
both directions with the message
Permission denied.
However, rsh given only a hostname prompts for a password.
/usr/bin/rsh is -r-sr-xr-x on both systems.
Both systems are named in /etc/hosts.equiv on both systems.
Creating .rhosts files does not help.  /etc/host.conf looks like
order hosts bind
multi on
on both systems.  What else do I need?  How do I track this down?
I've looked all over Linux NAG and the crab book.

TIA, Cameron
--
This article is Copyright1995, by Cameron L. Spitzer, who hereby
explicitly withholds permission to store or transmit it from Microsoft

1. passwd command returns "permission denied"

Hi -

I have the following problem on Solaris 8:

$  passwd
passwd: Changing password for xyz
Enter existing login password:
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
Permission denied

or as root:

$  passwd xyz
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
Permission denied

Compared with another machine, the permissions on /usr/bin/passwd,
/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow all look correct; I have pulled a pam.conf
from a working machine (and rebooted), all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

2. Sound Galaxy / Pabasonic CD

3. Permission denied for 'passwd' command

4. RSync: move 'deleted' files to a specific folder

5. rsh HOSTNAME COMMAND get "Permission denied."

6. ip alias and 2.4

7. Commands and Permission Denied...

8. Newbie question

9. rsh commands ---> permission denied

10. "weof" operation in "mt" command gives "permission denied"

11. Find . command & permissions denied?

12. r-Commands don't work (rlogin,...)

13. r-commands