Is Linux slow?

Post by Pierre Monesti » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm running linux with 2.0.29 kernel.
Linux seems to be very slow when I copy file to a directory mounted on a
(fast) unix NFS server. More over when I launch x application from this
server to my machine it's also slow.
On an other hand when I launch X Application from another linux computer
it's fast.
Does somebody knows why linux is slow when it's client of a non linux
machine? Is there a way to improve performance of linux tcp client?

Thanks

Pierre Monestie

Is Linux slow?

Post by Thomas Eva » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Linux seems to be very slow when I copy file to a directory mounted on a
> (fast) unix NFS server. More over when I launch x application from this
> server to my machine it's also slow.
> On an other hand when I launch X Application from another linux computer
> it's fast.

I would get tcpdump, check out whats happening on the wire.

--

Normal disclaimer applies...

Is Linux slow?

Post by James Youngm » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi,
>I'm running linux with 2.0.29 kernel.
>Linux seems to be very slow when I copy file to a directory mounted on a
>(fast) unix NFS server.

Set the rsize and wsize parameters on the NFS mount to 8192.  Also set the
async option.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

1. SCO 5.0.2 NSF is slow - VERY slow What am I doing wrong??

I have two machines with OpenServer 5.0.2 connected by TCP/IP.  rcp works,
rlogin works, telnet works, and ftp works.  But when I tried to experiemnt with
nsf I found out that it is slow - very slow.

This is my PCs' specs.

pasta (pasta.takadom.org) 134.1.1.2
Pent-75
1.6GB/32MB
SMC 8432BT
/etc/exports
/u

sushi (sushi.takadom.org) 134.1.1.1
586-133
2.5GB/16MB
Intel EtherExpress 16
/etc/exports
/v

On sushi, I login as root and type "mount pasta:/u /usr/takakami/tempmount"

Response:
WARNING: NFS server pasta not responding, still trying
WARNING: NFS server pasta ok

#

This takes 5 minutes.  (from my command to getting a prompt back)

mount
/on /dev/root read/write on ******
/stand on ****************
/u on *********************
/v on ********************
/usr/takakami/tempmount on pasta:/u read/write on ******************

This is immediate.

Then I do
cd/usr/takakami/tempmount

I go get my coffee, pick up my laundries.....  10 minutes later I get
#

Then I do l

Response
WARNING: NFS server pasta not responding, still trying
WARNING: NFS server pasta ok
WARNING: NFS server pasta not responding, still trying
WARNING: NFS server pasta ok

10 minutes later, I hit {del} to abort
#

After setting up tcp/ip to be able to do rcp, rlogin, telnet, ftp, the only
file I changed (added) was /etc/exports file.

I verified mountd, nfsd, pcnfsd, and biod was running.  Accroding to several
past posts, nfs get defined default when one install OpenServer 5.0.2.

What am I doing wrong here?

The situation is similar the other way around (trying to nfs mount /v on sushi
from pasta)

Thanks!

2. OSF DCE Developers Conference (DHCQMOG)

3. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

4. Scologin and Open Server 3.0

5. Accuracy of Netmechanic Server Check--Am I slow?

6. netfilter battle.net setup

7. FTP Slow to Connect - And I am pretty sure my reverse DNS is working

8. New Tips from GoingWare's Bag of Tricks

9. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

10. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

11. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

12. Matrox g450 + tuxracer = slow slow slow!!! [???]

13. Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)