HUB/Router Speed?

Post by Loren Co » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:37:07

i am upgrading my lan, and see that the spec's on the broadband
router/switches list the "network" as 100mbit, but the "router"
as 10mbit.

this implies that the hub will *down any xfer between ports
to 10mbits.

is this correct?

thanks,      --Loren

HUB/Router Speed?

Post by Hal Burgis » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:46:33

Quote:> i am upgrading my lan, and see that the spec's on the broadband
> router/switches list the "network" as 100mbit, but the "router" as
> 10mbit.

> this implies that the hub will *down any xfer between ports
> to 10mbits.

> is this correct?

No, I would take it that your external connection is limited to 10Mbps
only. So LAN gets 100 (assuming proper configuration), internet only
sees you at 10.

--
Hal Burgiss

HUB/Router Speed?

Post by James Knot » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 19:52:39

> i am upgrading my lan, and see that the spec's on the broadband
> router/switches list the "network" as 100mbit, but the "router"
> as 10mbit.

> this implies that the hub will *down any xfer between ports
> to 10mbits.

> is this correct?

No.  The switch will pass 100 Mb/s between ports.  However, the router
portion is only 10 Mb, which is still faster than you'll get from xDSL or
cable.  The various speeds are handled automagically.  ;-)

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

HUB/Router Speed?

Post by joseph Phili » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 07:03:59

> i am upgrading my lan, and see that the spec's on the broadband
> router/switches list the "network" as 100mbit, but the "router" as
> 10mbit.

> this implies that the hub will *down any xfer between ports to
> 10mbits.

> is this correct?

> thanks,      --Loren

Watchout for these "integrations" where the lan side can only do 100Mb if
and only if ALL the nics are 100Mb. Been there, had wierd trouble with
full/half duplex, 10/100Mb and mysterious connection losses etc.

Read the *Very Fine Print*. I'm begining to think they're using invisible
ink for the details.

1. Dual Speed Hubs

I have a general networking question.

How the hell do dual-speed hubs work?

I have a couple of new DS108 units from Netgear.  These are dual-speed hubs
(not switches) that auto-sense the speed of the connection.

When 10 Mb are talking to 10 Mb, or 100 Mb are talking to 100 Mb, everthing
is fine.

When they try and talk with each other (10 to 100 or 100 to 10) the whole
segment goes to hell.  Packets are lost, the collision lights blink a nice
steady pattern, and everything slows to a crawl.

How are these *supposed* to work?  I though I needed a switch to do this
right (and from the looks of things, I may be right) but can anyone give me
a clue?

(Everything is set to half-duplex.  Client type doesn't matter -- Linux,
Win95, WinNT, Solaris, TCP/IP printer, etc.)

Charles Hill
SMP Electronics

2. X on NCR 3180 Laptop

3. 10BASE-T NIC and 100mbps NIC to a dual-speed hub doesn't work?

4. Kernel Upgrade problem: Incorrect kernel version with /boot/System.map

5. Two HUB speed questions

6. troff -t on AIX3.1?

7. Dlink's DFE-904 DUAL-SPEED HUB.

8. Screen Blanking

9. Dual Speed Hubs v Switches

10. 3 com SSII dual speed hub

11. 3com SSII dual speed hub help!!!

12. Speed problem w/ 10/100 mbit eth + switched hub

13. Connecting to the XP compatible wireless hub (or router)?