USR Sportster problems

Post by Shekhar Patka » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I recently installed RH 5.1. I have a USR SPortster 56k PnP modem, and I
can't
seem to get it configured. I've tried configuring with modemtool and
netcfg, that
doesn't do anything. I tried following the steps in the PPP-howto on the
RH cd.
It looks like the modem is not being accessed at all (ifconfig never
shows an
entry for ppp0).

I didn't have ppp configured in my kernel to start with, I had to
recompile the kernel.
My modem is on COM1, so I've tried linking /dev/modem to /dev/cua1 and
/dev/ttyS1 respectively, none works.

When I activate ppp0, I can see the process running in the background,
but the modem
does not dial. If I use minicom, it just hangs and I can't get it to do
anything. Have I
missed something? I really need to get this thing working!!

Thanks,
Shekhar

USR Sportster problems

Post by Eric Benoi » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I recently installed RH 5.1. I have a USR SPortster 56k PnP modem, and
> can't seem to get it configured. I've tried configuring with modemtool
> and netcfg, that doesn't do anything. I tried following the steps in
> the PPP-howto on the
> RH cd.
> It looks like the modem is not being accessed at all (ifconfig never
> shows an entry for ppp0).

> I didn't have ppp configured in my kernel to start with, I had to
> recompile the kernel.
> My modem is on COM1, so I've tried linking /dev/modem to /dev/cua1 and
> /dev/ttyS1 respectively, none works.

You might wish to note that COM1 and ttyS1 aren't the same thing.
COM1 is ttyS0, ttyS1 is COM2. :)

You also might wish to check out isapnp. I don't know if it applies here
though.

Have fun!

--

USR Sportster problems

Post by Shekhar Patka » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I recently installed RH 5.1. I have a USR SPortster 56k PnP modem, and I
> can't
> seem to get it configured. I've tried configuring with modemtool and
> netcfg, that
> doesn't do anything. I tried following the steps in the PPP-howto on the
> RH cd.
> It looks like the modem is not being accessed at all (ifconfig never
> shows an
> entry for ppp0).

> I didn't have ppp configured in my kernel to start with, I had to
> recompile the kernel.
> My modem is on COM1, so I've tried linking /dev/modem to /dev/cua1 and
> /dev/ttyS1 respectively, none works.

I meant to say it is on COM2 !! Typo there, sorry!
Shekhar

Quote:

> When I activate ppp0, I can see the process running in the background,
> but the modem
> does not dial. If I use minicom, it just hangs and I can't get it to do
> anything. Have I
> missed something? I really need to get this thing working!!

> Thanks,
> Shekhar

1. USR Sportster Problem

Hello,

I seem to be having a problem with my USR Sportster 28.8 external modem, and
I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem. Currently I am using
the 6.1 version of the Redhat distro. It seems that when I fire up my ppp
connection that I am having a problem connecting. I put an analyzer on the
line, and it seems that I am both sending and receiving the character "t" as
"p".

2. primary dns

3. Sparc1(Solaris2.3) USR sportster problem

4. Linux MPP

5. Don't Hate me Cause I'm a Moron...(Was USR Sportster problem)

6. I want to monitor the creation and deletion of PDFs

7. USR Sportster / Redhat Modem Problem

8. Swapping problems !

9. Problem: USR Sportster 33.6 Internal

10. USR Sportster Winmodem problem

11. Having problem with PCMCIA and USR Sportster PCMCIA modem

12. Problem with USR Sportster 36.6 setup, funny connect for in coming calls

13. Problems with efax and USR Sportster/Motorola Lifestyle modems