IP accounting software needed

Post by Justin Wrig » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

Greetings all.

Can anyone recommend one or more pieces of software that can be used to
keep track of the volume of IP traffic between a particular host on a
certain network and the greater Internet?  Preferably something that can
report on such activity over a particular time period, say, a month.  I
know that the Linux kernel has an IP accounting option, so there must be
*something* out there that can take advantage of this.  A really nice
feature would be the ability to exclude traffic internal to the local
network from the logging.

Cheers,

J.

--
Justin Wright                             | Office: B.05, Computer Science
Database Research Group                   | Phone:  ext. 8498

IP accounting software needed

Post by Michael J. M. Mill » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

I have a program called nacct (or something like that) it may be worth
finding. I found it on sunsite in one of the many directories. Sorry I can't
be more precise.

Cheers
Mike

Maritzburg College               ( phone  :  +27 331 451841)

IP accounting software needed

Post by ti » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

check out netramet it was written by a guy at auckland university in new
zealand .
dont know his name though.
try http://www.auckland.ac.nz
Quote:

Post by Ulrich Callmei » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

>Can anyone recommend one or more pieces of software that can be used to
>keep track of the volume of IP traffic between a particular host on a
>certain network and the greater Internet?  Preferably something that can
>report on such activity over a particular time period, say, a month.  I
>know that the Linux kernel has an IP accounting option, so there must be
>*something* out there that can take advantage of this.  A really nice
>feature would be the ability to exclude traffic internal to the local
>network from the logging.

If you want accounting for a whole network without the ability to
assign traffic to certain uid's, I recomment using net-acct.
It's available on sunsite and mirrors in System/Network/management
This requires no kernel patch and allows exclusion of the local network.

If you need per user ip accounting for a single machine I recommend
inet-acct-user, availabe on sunsite in kernel/patches/network.
It requires a kernel patch and allows exclusion of the local network.

Both packages don't use the builtin accounting facility (as it's not
detailed and flexible enough). If you have any further questions,
please mail me.

Here are the lsm's of both packages

Begin3
Title:          net-acct
Version:        0.3
Entered-date:   13APR95

Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu pub/Linux/system/Network/management
                39kB net-acct-0.3.tar.gz
Alternate-site: ftp.uni-erlangen.de /pub/Linux/LOCAL/net-tools
Copying-policy: GPL
End

BTW: version 0.4 is to be out soon.

Begin3
Title:          inet-acct-user
Version:        0.3
Entered-date:   13MAR95
                process with patch for 1.2.0

Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu pub/Linux/kernel/patches/network
                35kB inet-acct-user-0.3.tar.gz
Alternate-site: ftp.uni-erlangen.de /pub/Linux/LOCAL/net-tools
Copying-policy: GPL
End

Cheers,

Ulrich
--
--------------(-------------------------------------------------------------

 (op-t (munge-grunge (six-two (eq make-sense nil) (shoot-yourself (foot))))
--------)-----------------------------------------------------------------)-

1. I NEED A LOCAL IP CHECKER TO SEND THE IP TO AN OUTSIDE ACCOUNT!

Ok, here is my problem... I am running a server on Corel Linux v2.  The
problem is it is on a static IP.  The unfortunate part is my IP goes down
frequently (Damn Bell Canada) And My server, along with the IP, goes down
(How can I connect to it if I dunno the IP).  What I am looking for is a way
for the system to constatly check the IP and see if it changes, if it does,
it e-mails my external account (Hotmail, yahoo, etc).  I have heard there is
a way to do this throguh a CRON... Can some one help me? I am a newbie to
Linux (less than a year) And I have no clue how to go about it.  Please,
someone help me.  Thanks

Kronos3.

http://Kronos3.com

2. What are Xlines?

3. Where: IP-filter router, accounting software

4. ADAPTEC 1520B problem, PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

5. Help with ipac-1.10 - IP Accounting Software for Linux

6. Tip sets auto-answer

7. Software to turn a shell account into a PPP/SLIP account

8. XDM/KDM on specific adapter

9. NEED: Client Accounting Software for Linux

10. Need accounting software for linux..or go to NT

11. Free Software Foundation's Project GNU needs AIX 4.2+ account

12. IP Accounting, what do I need?

13. Need help with IPA (IP accounting)