No dice -- yet everything's fine?!

Post by Mark Thomas Mercad » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have two computers in my apartment that I am networking.  I,
as of today (yesterday, really) purchased TWO brand new, way
expensive 3Com ethernet cards -- EtherLink III 3C509B (Combo)
cards, to be exact -- with UTP, BNC (thick & think), and AUI
support... needless to say, nice cards.

I am running (on both boxes) Slack 3.2 kernel 2.0.27... loadable
modules, etc.

I am not new to Linux, but I am new to networking.

Let me begin:

1) All hardware was configured just fine... the EPROM data in
   both ethernet cards coincides EXACTLY with the OS... all
   I/O addresses and IRQ's are exactly the same (hard and soft).

2) I have given both boxes simple Class C network addresses,
   for sake of argumenet box A is 199.199.199.1 and box B is
   199.199.199.2 -- making the network 199.199.199.0 and the
   subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

3) The /etc/hosts file contains:
           127.0.0.1            localhost
           199.199.199.1        boxA.myroom.org
           199.199.199.2        boxB.myroom.org

4) The /etc/networks file contains:
           loopback     127.0.0.0
           localnet     199.199.199.0

Can anyone give me some advice?  This is one of those situations
when EVERYTHING seems fine, yet it's not working!  I cannot even
telnet into the other box!

Also, I issue the 'route add boxB' command...

I've read alot, just could use a few tips.

Thanks,
Mark.

 Adtech Multimedia, Inc.       http://www.adtechmultimedia.com
 System Administrator

No dice -- yet everything's fine?!

Post by James Youngma » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have two computers in my apartment that I am networking.  I,
> as of today (yesterday, really) purchased TWO brand new, way
> expensive 3Com ethernet cards -- EtherLink III 3C509B (Combo)
> cards, to be exact -- with UTP, BNC (thick & think), and AUI
> support... needless to say, nice cards.

Search DejaNews for what everybody says is the first thing you should
do with a 3c509B,  and read the Multiple-Ethernet HOWTO.  Also read
the manual make for modprobe.

1. Everything looks fine, it's just not working

Hello everybody!

I'd be grateful if someone could help me out with this one:
I'm running a RedH 7.2 server with Apache 1.3. I just installed
Mailman 2.0.8. and everithyng looks fine, except that mailman's web
interface won't work. Until now I thought this could be a mailman
problem, but mailman is working fine otherwise, and if i put the
expected variables as GET in the adress line, the web interface is
working too. But if I try the "usual" way, it acts if I've posted
nothing.
none of the logs say anything about any kind of error...tha access_log
says that there was a POST, but that's all.
All mailman cgi's are in a ScriptAlias directory, and lately I have
noticed the same behaviour on other pages with forms too (although not
on all of them. that's the weirdest. I run IMP, a webmail program, and
that's just fine...(for example))

take a look at it yourelves:
and try to subscribe for example...(I mean by filling out the forms,
and pushing the buttons :) it never worked for me :( )

  best regards,
   zOLtaN

2. Problem installing DHCPD

3. /dev/dsp doesn't work, but everything else seems fine...

4. fork and pthreads

5. Icons on Desktop

6. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

7. very urgent!!! - init can't execute /bin/sh

8. Still cant read ISP pages but everything else is fine

9. asymetric capacity on windows on Linux everything is fine

10. everything _seems_ fine, but...

11. Kermit. Everything was fine, then....

12. X11 Fonts scrambled on PCI Miro 12 SD, everything else is fine