smb force next password change

Post by gaius.petroni » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 17:09:52

> [Followup-to: comp.protocols.smb set]

> >I might be missing something here but i don't see in any documentation
> >where we can force the user to change his 'smbpasswd' at the next
> >login.  Secondly, i dont think the line "  force alphanumeric
> >passwords = yes " is working either.  Is this a correct syntax?

> I don't have my samba server here at work, but from man smb.conf I
> don't remember such an option. Try testparm.

> You should define a windows policy (poledit) when windows users have
> to change their password in regular intervals, and apply the policy
> using loginscripts to distribute.

if at all possible i'd like to control that from the server

has anyone ever written anything that enables samba to force a password change?

1. smb force next password change

I might be missing something here but i don't see in any documentation
where we can force the user to change his 'smbpasswd' at the next
login.  Secondly, i dont think the line "  force alphanumeric
passwords = yes " is working either.  Is this a correct syntax?

So far, i can only control the smb password to this extent:

  password level = 8
  encrypt passwords = yes
  force alphanumeric passwords = yes # doesn't seem to give a damn
about this
  unix password sync = Yes

Anyone know of how to FORCE a password change for samba at next login?
TIA

Aside: i _did_ come across a piece of documentation that mentioned in
passing rather casually that smb maintains a *reverse-encrypted* copy
of /etc/samba/smbpasswd.  This apparently is something like
maintaining a copy of shadow reverse-encrypted.

2. STREAMS QUESTION

3. How to force password change at next login

4. gcc for AIX 4.3.0.0?

5. force password change at next login via KDM or GDM

6. Curses shareware lib wanted

7. Force user to change password on next login (runlevel 5)

8. Ethernet Newbie needs help

9. force password change at next login

10. force password next login

11. force user change pasword next login?

12. force user to change passwd at next login?

13. How to enforce password change on next login on Solaris?