Can't connect to server....no matter what I do

Can't connect to server....no matter what I do

Post by Brian K. Quad » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 07:29:12

I set up a Linux server in my home office, on a network with two Linux
boxes and a gateway router.  I tried to set up the server as a DNS
server and could not get it to work.  So I cheated and put all of the
host information in the hosts files.  Then I tried to set up NFS and ssh
so I can log in and use the server as a test web server.  But I can not
connect to the server.

Here is some more info:

* Both machines are connected to a USR gateway router that is running a
firewall (but I turned off the firewall function in the router and it
didn't make a difference).

* Both machines are set up with a unique static IP address and they use
the same netmask, network, and broadcast addresses.

* Both machines have full Internet access.

* Both machines can ping each other.

* Both machines have all of their NFS services running just fine.  But
on the client machine rpcinfo -p shows mountd using ports 32769 and
32779, but people are saying it doesn't matter what port mountd is using.

* The server has sshd running and all of the NFS services look fine on
the server too.  Telnet and some other services are running on the
server and it looks fine as far as I can tell.

* I can telnet and ssh to the server from the server, but not from the
client, which leads me to think that the services are running fine on
the server and the problem has to do with the connection or port
numbers.  But I'm no expert...

So here is what I get when I try to connect to the server from the
client using various methods.

ssh testserver
ssh: connect to address 192.168.123.1 port 22: Connection refused

rpcinfo -p testserver
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection
refused

mount -t nfs testserver:/ /testserver
mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

telnet testserver
Trying 192.168.123.1...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.123.1: Connection refused

It seems like I don't have mountd set up of running correctly but all of
the necessary services (portmapper, rquotad, mountd, nfs, nfslock) are
running on both machines.  I have run out of tools to use to try to
figure out what is not set up correctly.

Oh yeah... I'm running Red Hat 7.3 on both machines.

Any suggestions on how I can get these two machines communicating with
more than just ping???

Post by Hale » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:19:50

> * I can telnet and ssh to the server from the server, but not from the
> client, which leads me to think that the services are running fine on
> the server and the problem has to do with the connection or port
> numbers.  But I'm no expert...

Stupid question(s), but do you have firewall running on the server? Have you
checked /var/log/messages?

(You can use nmap on the client to see if any server port is open.)

Can't connect to server....no matter what I do

Post by Brian K. Quad » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 00:54:39

Do I have a firewall running on my server?  Well that definitely is a
stupid question and I'm embarrassed to say that the answer is yes.  I
guess the server installation just assumed that I wanted a firewall
running because I don't remember telling it to run those services.  I
stopped ipchains and iptables and restarted the server and was able to
ssh right over to the server no problem.  I have a hunch that my other
Internet services will work now too.

See?  There is no such thing as a stupid question.

>>* I can telnet and ssh to the server from the server, but not from the
>>client, which leads me to think that the services are running fine on
>>the server and the problem has to do with the connection or port
>>numbers.  But I'm no expert...

> Stupid question(s), but do you have firewall running on the server? Have you
> checked /var/log/messages?

> (You can use nmap on the client to see if any server port is open.)

1. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

Hi all,

I'm involved in using one machine to install SCO unix on hot swappable
disks. In order to do this I need change the serial number of a machine
so that each machine can have a unique ID. The disk will then be
installed on a new machine and the serial number will identify the
machine with the serial ID.

What are the files that need to be "brand"ed in order to change the
serial number/activation key pairing ?
Tried files in /etc/perms plus /etc/perms/bundle to no avail.
Using "uname -X" to see current serial number - is this the correct
command?

I'd appreciate if someone could get back to me on this one ...

Thanks in advance ...

Ray Fallon

Address : Nortel Ireland Ltd.,
Galway, Ireland.

2. where can I get web client for Linux

3. Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the...

4. Inkjet printers meeting....

5. Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

6. ==> pmap -x vs. ps -e -o <==

7. Can't connect to X11 window server using 'machinename:0.0'

8. smf config for oracle?

9. Can't Connect Into Server But Can Connect Out Of

10. It's not bad canned meat...

11. Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

12. Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the