Linksys Router via Telnet

Post by Sam Ale » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:49:46

I found something interesting that I thought I'd share with you guys/gals.
At work, I found that I was needing to get into my home linksys router to
change ports from time to time, and since the Linksys only has a web
interface, I thought I was SOL.

Then, just on a whem, I tried getting to it from Lynx and it actually
worked.  I can log into my Linksys router, change ports, and do anything you
can via a standard GUI browser.  It's somewhat tedious and not the best
looking interface, but it does the job.

Just an FYI for those of you who might be telnetting into your Linux box and
need to change settings on the Linksys router.

Later,

Sam

Linksys Router via Telnet

Post by Dennis K Gro » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 03:32:15

> I found something interesting that I thought I'd share with you guys/gals.
> At work, I found that I was needing to get into my home linksys router to
> change ports from time to time, and since the Linksys only has a web
> interface, I thought I was SOL.

> Then, just on a whem, I tried getting to it from Lynx and it actually
> worked.  I can log into my Linksys router, change ports, and do anything you
> can via a standard GUI browser.  It's somewhat tedious and not the best
> looking interface, but it does the job.

> Just an FYI for those of you who might be telnetting into your Linux box and
> need to change settings on the Linksys router.

> Later,

> Sam

Did you use telnet or lynx to access the router?
Lynx is not telnet, it is a text based web browser.
The router's configuration is web-based. If you were able to telnet into to it,
please tell us how.

--
Dennis K. Grow
RedHat 7.2  Kernel: 2.4.13  KDE: 2.2-11  ALSA: 0.5.11  Samba 2.2.2

Linksys Router via Telnet

Post by Sam Ale » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 05:07:45

Dennis,

As stated in my message, I telnet into my Linux box and use Lynx to connect
to the router.  Lynx does a pretty good job at interpateing the menus.

Exampe:
# lynx http://192.168.1.1

Sam

> Did you use telnet or lynx to access the router?
> Lynx is not telnet, it is a text based web browser.
> The router's configuration is web-based. If you were able to telnet into
to it,
> please tell us how.

> --
> Dennis K. Grow
> RedHat 7.2  Kernel: 2.4.13  KDE: 2.2-11  ALSA: 0.5.11  Samba 2.2.2
>  10:20am  up 5 days, 21:56,  5 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.20, 0.14

> > I found something interesting that I thought I'd share with you
guys/gals.
> > At work, I found that I was needing to get into my home linksys router
> > change ports from time to time, and since the Linksys only has a web
> > interface, I thought I was SOL.

> > Then, just on a whem, I tried getting to it from Lynx and it actually
> > worked.  I can log into my Linksys router, change ports, and do anything
you
> > can via a standard GUI browser.  It's somewhat tedious and not the best
> > looking interface, but it does the job.

> > Just an FYI for those of you who might be telnetting into your Linux box
and
> > need to change settings on the Linksys router.

> > Later,

> > Sam

Linksys Router via Telnet

Post by James Knot » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 05:10:16

> I found something interesting that I thought I'd share with you
> guys/gals. At work, I found that I was needing to get into my home
> linksys router to change ports from time to time, and since the
> Linksys only has a web interface, I thought I was SOL.

> Then, just on a whem, I tried getting to it from Lynx and it actually
> worked.  I can log into my Linksys router, change ports, and do
> anything you
> can via a standard GUI browser.  It's somewhat tedious and not the
> best looking interface, but it does the job.

> Just an FYI for those of you who might be telnetting into your Linux
> box and need to change settings on the Linksys router.

Since Lynx is a browser, that's not supprising.  However, why is it
that you can't use Lynx, but not Netscape or other graphical browser at
work?

--

james.knott.

Linksys Router via Telnet

Post by EtherNu » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:31:16

Guys/Gals install an OPENSSH server on your linux box, open up port 22 on
your router, download a free SSH client for windows (I'f Micro$oft is what
you use), I prefer Putty
 http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/putty-snapshots/x86/putty.exe).  SSH into
your box with port redirection configured over ssh.  Using SSH you can
redirect the traffic from ANY port on your box out ANY port on your linux
box.  For instance you could redirect port 81 on your box at work to port 80
on your linksys box using your linux box and SSH as a proxy.  Once
connected, ssh has established an encrypted tunnel between you and your
Linuxbox at home.  Open up your browser and type http://locahost:81 at such
time your web browser will make a request for the default.htm on server port
81 which is redirected over your tunnel to port 80 on your linksys router
and VIOLA!  You got your web interface on your Linksys router.  When you get
that technique masterd you can encrypt web sessions over your SSH tunnel and
out your linksys router from work.. that way you can surf wherever you want
and all the Administrator can see is encrypted SSH traffic.  Don't forget to
turn on SSH compression to speed things up a little..

For more detail on how this works go here
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html this page is about getting to
an XVNC session from work using SSH to tunnel the traffic.  You'll get the
idea what I'm talking about once you've read through it a couple of times..
Linux has many POWERFUL tools, ssh is one of the best!

Good luck!

EtherNut

Quote:> I found something interesting that I thought I'd share with you guys/gals.
> At work, I found that I was needing to get into my home linksys router to
> change ports from time to time, and since the Linksys only has a web
> interface, I thought I was SOL.

> Then, just on a whem, I tried getting to it from Lynx and it actually
> worked.  I can log into my Linksys router, change ports, and do anything
you
> can via a standard GUI browser.  It's somewhat tedious and not the best
> looking interface, but it does the job.

> Just an FYI for those of you who might be telnetting into your Linux box
and
> need to change settings on the Linksys router.

> Later,

> Sam

Linksys Router via Telnet

Post by Sam Alexand » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:49:46

That does it... A great alternative to Putty is ZOC.
http://www.emtec.com/zoc/  It does dialup, X/Y/Z-modem transfers,
SSH/Telnet, and tons of other stuff.

EtherNut... thanks for the info.

Take care.

> Guys/Gals install an OPENSSH server on your linux box, open up port 22 on
> your router, download a free SSH client for windows (I'f Micro$oft is what
> you use), I prefer Putty
>  http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/putty-snapshots/x86/putty.exe).  SSH into
> your box with port redirection configured over ssh.  Using SSH you can
> redirect the traffic from ANY port on your box out ANY port on your linux
> box.  For instance you could redirect port 81 on your box at work to port 80
> on your linksys box using your linux box and SSH as a proxy.  Once
> connected, ssh has established an encrypted tunnel between you and your
> Linuxbox at home.  Open up your browser and type http://locahost:81 at such
> time your web browser will make a request for the default.htm on server port
> 81 which is redirected over your tunnel to port 80 on your linksys router
> and VIOLA!  You got your web interface on your Linksys router.  When you get
> that technique masterd you can encrypt web sessions over your SSH tunnel and
> out your linksys router from work.. that way you can surf wherever you want
> and all the Administrator can see is encrypted SSH traffic.  Don't forget to
> turn on SSH compression to speed things up a little..

> For more detail on how this works go here
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html this page is about getting to
> an XVNC session from work using SSH to tunnel the traffic.  You'll get the
> idea what I'm talking about once you've read through it a couple of times..
> Linux has many POWERFUL tools, ssh is one of the best!

> Good luck!

> EtherNut

> > I found something interesting that I thought I'd share with you guys/gals.
> > At work, I found that I was needing to get into my home linksys router to
> > change ports from time to time, and since the Linksys only has a web
> > interface, I thought I was SOL.

> > Then, just on a whem, I tried getting to it from Lynx and it actually
> > worked.  I can log into my Linksys router, change ports, and do anything
>  you
> > can via a standard GUI browser.  It's somewhat tedious and not the best
> > looking interface, but it does the job.

> > Just an FYI for those of you who might be telnetting into your Linux box
>  and
> > need to change settings on the Linksys router.

> > Later,

> > Sam

Linksys Router via Telnet

Post by Chri » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:11:27

Ethernut,
I'm obviously missing something.....I have been able to do exaclty
what you said with my linksys router....from work....I can open an SSH
session to my linux box using putty and forward port 81.....exactly as
described....in a browser...I can get to my linksys setup
page....however....I can't for the life of me figure out how to make
this work for "regular surfing"........any help is GREATLY
Appreciated.....

Chris