eth0 is missing from some ThizLinux files. Cannot detect LAN card 8139

eth0 is missing from some ThizLinux files. Cannot detect LAN card 8139

Post by adsi » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:34:04

Folks,

I have recently purchased a PC with Thizlinux on it. It came with  a NIC
card as well as a PCI modem.    Unfortunately neither device is working
since day one.  (I am now using an older PC running windows 98 to send this
message Supposedly manufacturer tested this system but I am having hard time
believing it. Support CDs and the book emphasizing WINDOWS implying that
they really built this machine not for linux but windows. And I am not
getting any significant support other then "bring it back to the store we
will see what is wrong with it.)

I am a newbee in Lunix but I thought perhaps there is a set up problem that
I can fix  instead of taking the PC to the shop I bought from (50 miles away
from home). But I spent numerous hours with no success.

Here is the brief summary of the situation:

Both PCs are connected to the Linksys router which is the connected to the
cable modem.
Router lights shows both PC are connected OK.
I have disabled ZoneAlarm that is on the old PC just in case.
I have done LAN settings through ThizLinux's KDE interface.  with NO luck.

dmesg:             shows that the LAN card (on board 8139)  is detected. But
no mention of eth0.

/proc/ioports:   shows that the LAN card (on board 8139)  is detected. But
no mention of eth0.

ifconfig:            only lists "lo". ie. there is no mention of "eth0".

route -n      : shows on only    127.0.0.0 , no other ip address.

/etc/sysconig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 :   shows that Wan IP address of
the router is picked up by the LAN card as IPADDR and BOOTPRO is "dhcp".  So
it seems NIC is communicating with the router somehow.

Attempt to add eth0 with /sbin/ifcfg        replies with the message that
the device does not exist.

What is it that needs to be done to make this device work?
I'll appreciate your comments
.
Adsiz

1. eth0 is missing from some ThizLinux files. Cannot detect LAN card 8139

Folks,

I have recently purchased a PC with Thizlinux on it (very much like Redhat)
[...]

2. Looking for UNIX NT web site

3. RealTek 8129/8139 vs. Alternative RealTek 8139

4. Problem with BOOTPD and TFTPD

5. Wake On Lan with RedHat 9 and onboard Realtek 8139

6. I have made an hex editor for you

7. Wake-on-LAN with Realtek 8139

8. FTP has quit working

9. 100MBit ethernet PCI card RealTek 8139

10. support for RealTek 8139 ethernet card

11. Realtek 8139 card gives errors under ifconfig

12. RedHat Linux8.0 giving problem with RealTek 8139 Ethernet card

13. help: 8139 network card