Getting mail to queue through a pop server or ppp link?

Getting mail to queue through a pop server or ppp link?

Post by Peter L. Buschm » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I'm having trouble getting mail to work on my linux system. (I can't
even get it to work locally yet.) Currently I have to options I want
to try, and need to know which is best.

1. I'd like to get smail or sendmail to work over my ppp link, but since
   my ip address is assigned dynamically, that would only be good for
   outgoing mail. (Can I do this if I don't have a neighbor machine to
   route my mail to? I may need to ask about the address.)

2. Ideally, I'd like all outgoing mail to be queued for processing through
   a pop server. Is this possible?  I've only seen a client for downloading
   mail from a pop server, not sending it out.

Currently, no mail can go out except from my telnet account. :(
All suggestions are welcomed.

Regards,

Peter L. Buschman

---
We must not cease from exploration. And the end of our exploring will be to
arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time.

   - T.S. Eliot

Getting mail to queue through a pop server or ppp link?

Post by Al Longye » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm having trouble getting mail to work on my linux system. (I can't
>even get it to work locally yet.)

Don't even bother to try remote mail until you have the local mail
working. If you can't handle local mail then there is something wrong with your basic configuration.

(If you are using sendmail as the transfer agent, make sure that your
FQDN is listed in the 'w' class for sendmail's /etc/sendmail.cf. It is
the line which starts with "Cw". In addition, do *not* use 'mail' as
your delivery agent for local mail. Use mail.local or deliver or
procmail as the mailx program is an AT&T clone, not the BSD version.)

Quote:>Currently I have to options I want
>to try, and need to know which is best.
>1. I'd like to get smail or sendmail to work over my ppp link, but since
>   my ip address is assigned dynamically, that would only be good for
>   outgoing mail. (Can I do this if I don't have a neighbor machine to
>   route my mail to? I may need to ask about the address.)

Dynamic addresses are OK for sending mail. Make sure that you include a
'Reply-To' header or use MASQUERADE_AS in the 'mc' file for sendmail.cf's
generation. The reply address should be the mail drop from which you obtain
your pop mail. This is usually the same mail account that you use for telnet
mail access.

Quote:>2. Ideally, I'd like all outgoing mail to be queued for processing through
>   a pop server. Is this possible?  I've only seen a client for downloading
>   mail from a pop server, not sending it out.

POP is designed to ***READ*** mail only. It is the reason that you find only
the client for 'downloading' mail. It is expected that you use SMTP to send
the mail.

You may use sendmail, or smail if the problem with the kernel locks has been
fixed by now, to send your outbound mail. Sendmail will queue the mail when
the PPP link is down. When you bring up the link, issue the command:

/usr/lib/sendmail -q

and it will then send the outbound mail from the spool queue.

You will find a 'pop' mailer in the sendmail package. This is designed to
work only with the pop mailer in the MH system. It does not say it in the
documentation. I have never been able to make the pop mailer in sendmail
work. You may have better luck.

--

Post by Adrian Clo » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: 2. Ideally, I'd like all outgoing mail to be queued for processing through
:    a pop server. Is this possible?  I've only seen a client for downloading
:    mail from a pop server, not sending it out.

As far as I know, POP is only for receiving mail, not sending it.  You
need to send it with SMTP, but you should still be able to get Smail or
whatever mail software you have to defer SMTP transmission (sorry, I
don't really have any more info).

Another idea would be to use UUCP.  Yes, you can use UUCP over TCP/IP
(see the Network Administrator's Guide for Linux).  This would be perfect
for queuing outgoing mail, and you could use it instead of the pop client
for incoming mail.  However it requires your server provider to provide
UUCP service...

I haven't tried any of the above - just some ideas for you to think about.

--
Adrian Close                                    First year Comms. Elec. Eng.

Voice : +61 3 9853 3288 (bh),        +61 3 9888 5750 (ah),
Fax   : +61 3 9853 9264      Data  : +61 3 9853 0457 (BBS)

Getting mail to queue through a pop server or ppp link?

Post by Gareth Bul » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Try;

ftp://ftp.ftech.net/pub/linux/misc/pop-pull.tgz

.
Gareth.

1. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

Let's take a look at this scenario:

I have two mail accounts, one on academic Unix server A and second
at my office - Unix server B. And there is also Win95/NT PC on my desk.
Practicaly I use Internet only from my PC. There is proxy gateway for
http and ftp outbound connections. No pops, telnets and other services
outside the office. You know - security.
And, let's assume, all inbound mail is CCopied to my boss.

And where is the problem?
I want to have all my private mail (sent to my academic account)
on my desk - Internet Mail, Pegasus or sth like that.

Forwarding mail from one account to the other does not provide security.
My office Unix server is "untrusted", so all forwarded mail should
arrive encoded. And decoding should be done by my pop3 client, just on
my desk.

So, some procmail action should be taken at Server A to encode (by pgp?)
and forward mail. And some automatical decoding at my desk.

Any help?
Any URL, sample conf and tips?

Regards
tko

2. 2 PCI nics ,But on only one at a time will work Please Help

3. Getting Mail from ISP POP Server

4. Tape Backup Software

5. POP to POP mail servers

6. cable gateway issues

7. Linux as Mail Gateway & POP Mail Server

8. Q: writing to a file in the kernel

9. HELP: Mail/Pop Server Can't Received Mail

10. HELP: fetchmail gets stuck getting mail over PPP

11. How do I ppp link 2 linux PC's thru serial cable?

12. Question: Routing network thru PPP link

13. getting Lan connected via ppp thru ethernet