Samba W2K access problem

Post by Gérar » Fri, 04 Jan 2008 16:17:03

Hi,

I have created a user ? test ? with his password and home directory on a
Linux Fedora.

I have on this computer a sambaRoot directory.

I vave created with smbpasswd this same user with his password.

My smb.conf seen with testparm:

Processing section "[homes]"

Processing section "[sambaRoot]"

Loaded services file OK.

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]

        workgroup = TMCS

        netbios name = PCLINUX

        server string = Samba Server

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd

        max log size = 50

[homes]

        path = /home/test/

        read only = No

[sambaRoot]

        path = /sambaRoot

        valid users = test

        read only = No

Directly on the linux Computer this user has all rights to the sambaRoot
directory

On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password, this user
on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
sambaRoot but without write permissions.

The second problem:

From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer

With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.

Same problem with the test directory.

Thanks

Samba W2K access problem

Post by AZ Noma » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 02:21:32

>Directly on the linux Computer this user has all rights to the sambaRoot
>directory
>On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password, this user
>on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
>sambaRoot but without write permissions.
>The second problem:
>From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer
>With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.
>Same problem with the test directory.

Do you have ports 135-139 open for tcp/udp?

(You might not need all 8 ports open;  but if they're open then you can rule
out IP filtering.  You can do a websearch to see exactly which ports are
needed and which protocol on them)

Samba W2K access problem

Post by Gérar » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 23:11:46

Quote:> Do you have ports 135-139 open for tcp/udp?

> (You might not need all 8 ports open;  but if they're open then you can
rule
> out IP filtering.  You can do a websearch to see exactly which ports are
> needed and which protocol on them)

Thanks for your answer

Yes for the test my firewall is deactivated

Samba W2K access problem

Post by Gérar » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 23:26:55

Quote:> > Do you have ports 135-139 open for tcp/udp?

> > (You might not need all 8 ports open;  but if they're open then you can
> rule
> > out IP filtering.  You can do a websearch to see exactly which ports are
> > needed and which protocol on them)

> Thanks for your answer

> Yes for the test my firewall is deactivated

And this is a part of my services file:

ntp  123/tcp
ntp  123/udp    # Network Time Protocol
netbios-ns 137/tcp    # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns 137/udp
netbios-dgm 138/tcp    # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm 138/udp
netbios-ssn 139/tcp    # NETBIOS session service
netbios-ssn 139/udp

Samba W2K access problem

Post by AZ Noma » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 02:56:38

>On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password, this user
>on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
>sambaRoot but without write permissions.

Could you post your entire smb.conf file?

On my working system where windows (including win2k) users can write, I have:

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
path = /home/
username = user1, user2
read only = no
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
case sensitive = no
strict locking = no
msdfs proxy = no

[dat]
comment = Huge hard drive
path = /dat
username = user1, user2
read only = No

------------------------------

You already have "read only = No".  Only other difference is that I have
"directory mask" on my home directories definition.

Quote:>The second problem:
>From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer
>With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.

Is 'pclinux' in  \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts?

can you 'ping pclinux' in a command window?

Samba W2K access problem

Post by Gérar » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 04:08:17

Thanks for your answer

Quote:> You already have "read only = No".  Only other difference is that I have
> "directory mask" on my home directories definition.

I have change my smb.conf with your directory mask    ------>No change
Since my last post I have updated samba and triy to create the smb.conf with
the swat utility    ---> No change

Quote:> >The second problem:
> can you 'ping pclinux' in a command window?

yes no problem

Samba W2K access problem

Post by AZ Noma » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 05:22:36

>Thanks for your answer
>> You already have "read only = No".  Only other difference is that I have
>> "directory mask" on my home directories definition.

>I have change my smb.conf with your directory mask    ------>No change
>Since my last post I have updated samba and triy to create the smb.conf with
>the swat utility    ---> No change
>> >The second problem:
>> can you 'ping pclinux' in a command window?
>yes no problem

Maybe you have selinux on the linux box?

I did a google search for "samba windows can't write"
check
http://myblackdiaries.blogspot.com/2007/07/samba-cant-write-folder-at...

Another possibility is that you don't really have smbpasswd done correctly
and your windows box is viewing the share as a guest.  Give a file or directory 777
permissions and see if you then can write to it?  Take a look in
/etc/samba/smbpasswd and see if there's a line for the remote user.

Swat will also show who has mounted a share, I think on the status pages.
Make sure it isn't 'guest' reading it.

Samba W2K access problem

Post by kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT b » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 15:10:54

Grard schreef:
Quote:> Hi,

> I have created a user ? test ? with his password and home directory on a
> Linux Fedora.

> I have on this computer a sambaRoot directory.

> I vave created with smbpasswd this same user with his password.

> My smb.conf seen with testparm:

> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf

> Processing section "[homes]"

> Processing section "[sambaRoot]"

> Loaded services file OK.

> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

> [global]

>         workgroup = TMCS

>         netbios name = PCLINUX

>         server string = Samba Server

>         log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd

>         max log size = 50

> [homes]

>         path = /home/test/

>         read only = No

> [sambaRoot]

>         path = /sambaRoot

>         valid users = test

>         read only = No

> Directly on the linux Computer this user has all rights to the sambaRoot
> directory

> On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password, this user
> on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
> sambaRoot but without write permissions.

> The second problem:

> From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer

> With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.

> Same problem with the test directory.

> Thanks

try it with \\pcllinux\test

Samba W2K access problem

Post by kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT b » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 15:15:26

goarilla schreef:
Quote:> Grard schreef:
>> Hi,

>> I have created a user ? test ? with his password and home directory on a
>> Linux Fedora.

>> I have on this computer a sambaRoot directory.

>> I vave created with smbpasswd this same user with his password.

>> My smb.conf seen with testparm:

>> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf

>> Processing section "[homes]"

>> Processing section "[sambaRoot]"

>> Loaded services file OK.

>> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

>> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

>> [global]

>>         workgroup = TMCS

>>         netbios name = PCLINUX

>>         server string = Samba Server

>>         log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd

>>         max log size = 50

>> [homes]

>>         path = /home/test/

>>         read only = No

>> [sambaRoot]

>>         path = /sambaRoot

>>         valid users = test

>>         read only = No

>> Directly on the linux Computer this user has all rights to the sambaRoot
>> directory

>> On a W2K Computer I have created the same user with same password,
>> this user
>> on this computer can access to the remote Linux Computer and directory
>> sambaRoot but without write permissions.

>> The second problem:

>> From the W2K no access on the home directory on the Linux Computer

>> With message: \\pclinux\homes No access, bad network name.

>> Same problem with the test directory.

>> Thanks

> try it with \\pcllinux\test

if that doesn't work remove the path line and try it again
iirc you don't have to specify path and homes is a special section anyway
meaning if you define [homes] ... and have users with unix entries in
passwd and smbpasswords
\\nbname\<username> will get you to their homedir's if they have smbpasswd
also you can add users without a illegit shell (/bin/false) and still
have them access their home
dirs via samba and [homes] remember that ... no need to give your users
unnecessary shell access !

Samba W2K access problem

Post by Gérar » Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:35:58

Quote:

> Maybe you have selinux on the linux box?

> I did a google search for "samba windows can't write"
> check

http://myblackdiaries.blogspot.com/2007/07/samba-cant-write-folder-at...

THANKS

That's the solution

I solve my problem with this command to disable Selinux
# setenforce 0or change the config file/etc/selinux/config, and replace ?
SELINUX=...... ? with ? SELINUX=disabled

1. Accessing W2K shares as a normal user with Samba

Forgive what may be a basic question, but I can't find an answer in the
mans or howtos.

I'm running Debian 3/testing.

I su then mount a W2K share with:
   mount -t smbfs //server/share /mntpt -o username=myacct/domain
and type in the myacct password. This works. From the su'd shell I have
full access to the share.

When I try to access the share from my normal account, using X programs
like OpenOffice.org, Mozilla, Advanced Editor, etc., I can usually read
and save files to the share but I can't create new ones (including
saving files from these progams).

Also, swat doesn't work on my system. I've installed it and modified
xinetd, etc. to allow it, but I can't connect to swat.

Any suggestions for either problem?

2. Where's my Memory?

3. Samba/W2K Problem With Roaming Profiles

4. Can't boot anymore from Linux boot floppy

5. W2K / Samba problems.

6. LILO boot failure

7. Problem with samba and w2k

8. Sinister Midget resorts to nymshifting. (He's also Maxwell Smart)

9. Can linux substitute w2k server and do the same as w2k server?

10. VPN From W2K/Pro to W2K Server Doesn't Work Through IPCHAINS Firewall

11. Tri Boot win98,w2k,linux using w2k boot manager?

12. Samba PDC & W2K backups

13. W2K File syncronisation vs. Samba after wintertime