help ! SUN and linux, simple network -- networking newbie

help ! SUN and linux, simple network -- networking newbie

Post by Dong-Hoon Le » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I am a networking newbie trying to build a home network connecting
SUN sparc station and Linux box. Currently SUN is stand alone, linux has
a dial-up ISDN connection to my ISP. Looking for solution to browse web
and checking emails...other internet activity, etc. through Linux as
gateway(using IP masqurading ?). I have no clue where to start from. Hub
and network cards are ready for them installed.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks

ps. email preferred.

help ! SUN and linux, simple network -- networking newbie

Post by Dong-Hoon Le » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, I am a networking newbie trying to build a home network connecting
> SUN sparc station and Linux box. Currently SUN is stand alone, linux has
> a dial-up ISDN connection to my ISP. Looking for solution to browse web

I forgot to mnetion that SUN is running Solaris 2.5.1 and linux Redhat
and kernel 1.2.13.

Post by Shawn Andre » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> > Hi, I am a networking newbie trying to build a home network connecting
> > SUN sparc station and Linux box. Currently SUN is stand alone, linux has
> > a dial-up ISDN connection to my ISP. Looking for solution to browse web

> I forgot to mnetion that SUN is running Solaris 2.5.1 and linux Redhat
> and kernel 1.2.13.

Well I dont see what the problem is . linux can Masquerade IPS .If you
are using the kernel 2.0 you should not have a problem to browse or
telnet from your sunsparc . IF you dont want to have Masquerading then
get a proxy server free from cern . Set netscape to use the proxy server
and you are done . But this has a disadvantage as you will only be able
to browse and not do a telnet or ftp except through netscape .

Shawn Andrew
# It takes two to make the world go round .
# It takes UNIX to make it out right ..
# Get a system .Get solaris_sparc or solaris_x86
# and f$$k microsoft . Now your talkin..

help ! SUN and linux, simple network -- networking newbie

Post by Robbie Honerka » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

(C.U.S. removed from followups)

: Hi, I am a networking newbie trying to build a home network connecting
: SUN sparc station and Linux box. Currently SUN is stand alone, linux has
: a dial-up ISDN connection to my ISP. Looking for solution to browse web
: and checking emails...other internet activity, etc. through Linux as
: gateway(using IP masqurading ?). I have no clue where to start from. Hub
: and network cards are ready for them installed.

IP Masquerading resource:

http://www.hwy401.com/achau/ipmasq/

As for the Sun, just set it up with an IP address from whatever network
you choose to have on your side of the connection, and set the gateway
address to point at the Linux box, and you're set.

Robbie

--
Robbie Honerkamp

http://www.shorty.com/~robbie/
 "It just goes to show you that ProDOS is too horrible to contemplate"
        -Imaginos, "Dead III"