Thinking of a 3com product? Think Again!

Thinking of a 3com product? Think Again!

Post by Hostmaste » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

I would like to tell you guys how 3com has left me and thousands others
standing in the dark, by not supporting their products. Windows 2000 has
been a tough transition for everybody but surely anybody who has used
Windows 2000 knows it's everything a Windows product should be! Microsoft
has finally brought a useable product to market! Showing that the extended
period of BETA TESTING worked!

Despite all the time MS was beta testing 3com didn't come up with a driver
for their 3com 3CSOHO100-TX card. This card sold in high numbers, and is
still on sale from places like Compusa and CDW! This card shipped with
working drivers for Win 95/98 and NT but so far 3com has chosen not to
release drivers for this expensive $70 nic!

So if your getting ready to buy some 3com product I suggest you consider
another brand as 3com no longer provides you with the support options that I
expect from a well known company with such strong brand name! Not to mention
these are some of the most expensive Nic's on the market! If you got time
please visit my website and read my plea for 3com to provide drivers for me
and the other 400 people who have signed my petition!

Kevin Leidecker
www.leidecker.com/3comboycott.htm

Post by Michael Hofman » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

> I would like to tell you guys how 3com has left me and thousands others
> standing in the dark, by not supporting their products. Windows 2000 has
> been a tough transition for everybody but surely anybody who has used
> Windows 2000 knows it's everything a Windows product should be! Microsoft
> has finally brought a useable product to market! Showing that the extended
> period of BETA TESTING worked!

< more WIN2k drivel deleted>

At some point or other all those large companies like <insert
anylargecompanyname here> seem to be ignorant or arrogant. But -
What has all this got to do with Linux?
I'm not particularly keen with 3Com, but 3 out of my 4 network cards are
3Com and have so far worked flawlessly under Linux.

Thinking of a 3com product? Think Again!

Post by John McKo » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 30 May 2000 04:02:07 -0400, Hostmaster

>I would like to tell you guys how 3com has left me and thousands others
>standing in the dark, by not supporting their products. Windows 2000 has

        [snip of stuff about Win2K]

Quote:>please visit my website and read my plea for 3com to provide drivers for me
>and the other 400 people who have signed my petition!

>Kevin Leidecker

Does it seem strange to anybody else that somebody would be foolish enough
to ask Linux users (most of whom despise MS & Windows) to sign a petition
to get 3COM to write drivers for this system? Or am I the one who is foolish?
Should Linux users sign petitions to get hardware supported for other systems?
I guess that I'm missing something. I don't think that Windows users sign
petitions to get vendors to support Linux. Well, I guess that Windows people
know that Linux people are friendlier and have a better sense of what it is
like to be "excluded" by vendors.

John

Post by Slip Gu » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

> I would like to tell you guys how 3com has left me and thousands others
> standing in the dark, by not supporting their products. Windows 2000 has
> been a tough transition for everybody but surely anybody who has used
> Windows 2000 knows it's everything a Windows product should be! Microsoft
> has finally brought a useable product to market! Showing that the extended
> period of BETA TESTING worked!

> Despite all the time MS was beta testing 3com didn't come up with a driver
> for their 3com 3CSOHO100-TX card. This card sold in high numbers, and is
> still on sale from places like Compusa and CDW! This card shipped with
> working drivers for Win 95/98 and NT but so far 3com has chosen not to
> release drivers for this expensive $70 nic!

> So if your getting ready to buy some 3com product I suggest you consider
> another brand as 3com no longer provides you with the support options that I
> expect from a well known company with such strong brand name! Not to mention
> these are some of the most expensive Nic's on the market! If you got time
> please visit my website and read my plea for 3com to provide drivers for me
> and the other 400 people who have signed my petition!

> Kevin Leidecker
> www.leidecker.com/3comboycott.htm

Seems to me to be more of a problem with Win2k (it supports almost
absolutely nothing, from what I've read) than with your 3com card.
Anyway, this is the linux newsgroup :-)
Cheers,
Ed
--
Those who trade away their privacy in favour of security will soon find
they have neither.

Post by Mark Bratche » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

> I would like to tell you guys how 3com has left me and thousands others
> standing in the dark, by not supporting their products. Windows 2000 has
> been a tough transition for everybody but surely anybody who has used
> Windows 2000 knows it's everything a Windows product should be! Microsoft
> has finally brought a useable product to market! Showing that the extended
> period of BETA TESTING worked!

Linux has been usable for longer than that. And it has always worked
will with 3COM.
You should consider joining the 100's of thousands (or millions?) using
Linux.

Quote:> Despite all the time MS was beta testing 3com didn't come up with a driver
> for their 3com 3CSOHO100-TX card. This card sold in high numbers, and is
> still on sale from places like Compusa and CDW! This card shipped with
> working drivers for Win 95/98 and NT but so far 3com has chosen not to
> release drivers for this expensive $70 nic!

> So if your getting ready to buy some 3com product I suggest you consider
> another brand as 3com no longer provides you with the support options that I
> expect from a well known company with such strong brand name! Not to mention
> these are some of the most expensive Nic's on the market! If you got time
> please visit my website and read my plea for 3com to provide drivers for me
> and the other 400 people who have signed my petition!

Sounds to me like the problem is not whether to purchase 3COM stuff, but
whether to purchase Windows 2000. :-)

--
Mark Bratcher

Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!

1. Think your bible is so great? Think again..

Nobody ever said anything to me about any virgins.  I think you better
get your religious ideologies straight if you're gonna try to post
anything about them.  Otherwise, you just look like an idiot.  It's
already been scientifically proven that there's more to us than just our
bodies by  Dr. Duncan MacDougall.  But since no one today has the
testicular fortitude to continue what he started, they simply disregard
it.

2. NFS Solaris->Linux

3. I think I can , I think I can !!

4. HELP NEEDED : RECURSIVE SHELL PROCEDURE

5. Thinking Microsoft? - think UNIX

6. LinkSys driver problem

7. I think my servers being probed (Again...)

8. Help: mod_rewrite inherit question

9. ACAD for Linux !!! Think again !!!

10. More on: Hacked Again, I Think....

11. OK, I think this is the last question (about processes again)

12. Kensington thinking mouse yet again!

13. Thinking about SCO? Think again. :)