Logging visited sites by dial-in user

Post by Ale » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 03:44:38

Hello,

I've setup a dial-up server at home, but for security reasons I want
to log all URL's visited by the dialed-in user.

I have snort installed, but it seems to only record the IP address and
packet info.  I don't really need the contents of packets, just the
URL's visited.

If Snort doesn't do this, any suggestions on other apps that will?
Thanks,

Alex.

Logging visited sites by dial-in user

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:02:42

Quote:> Hello,
> I've setup a dial-up server at home, but for security reasons I want
> to log all URL's visited by the dialed-in user.
> I have snort installed, but it seems to only record the IP address and
> packet info.  I don't really need the contents of packets, just the
> URL's visited.
> If Snort doesn't do this, any suggestions on other apps that will?

Run a proxy server and you can log more then you want:

http://www.squid-cache.org

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Logging visited sites by dial-in user

Post by Monza » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:28:03

Dear Alex,
set up a proxy server, give all dial-in-users an
own account, let them authorize to use the proxy for surfing
and there you have your user-info in your proxy-log :-)
Cheers,
Monzai

And Alex, if you have a lot of web-frontends to your servers
then consider using Monzai :-) and have a look at our
live-demo at http://www.monzai.com/

> Hello,

> I've setup a dial-up server at home, but for security reasons I want
> to log all URL's visited by the dialed-in user.

> I have snort installed, but it seems to only record the IP address and
> packet info.  I don't really need the contents of packets, just the
> URL's visited.

> If Snort doesn't do this, any suggestions on other apps that will?
> Thanks,

> Alex.

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. 5th Annual Linux Showcase & Conference: Call for Papers

3. trying to block users behind masquerading server to visit web sites

4. wanted: terse string to force "syntax error/abort", to avoid mis-invoking..

5. Question about tracking sites that users visit.

6. installing linux on a laptop

7. Log of All IP's Visited From The Firewall Users

8. Swap and large memory

9. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

10. Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for Mobile Users

11. This is a must visit site!

12. Can apache/stronghold log when a user 'click outs' of your site?