which linux version have build in NAT

Post by unnoesuse » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

hi any ideal which linux version have build in NAT for Internet sharing, how
do I configure it
recently got cable modem, I wanna to use linux as Router,So that all my
other 2 PC can surf net as well. rather goin to purchase a expansive Router

10q

--
http://www.classicalmusic.per.sg

Post by Manfred Bart » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> hi any ideal which linux version have build in NAT for Internet
> sharing,

Never heard of a Linux that didn't have NAT (well, unless you get ELKS
or the Palm-Pilot version).

> how do I configure it recently got cable modem, I wanna to use linux
> as Router,So that all my other 2 PC can surf net as well. rather

    <http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html>

search for ``masquerade'' (Linux name for NAT)

--
Manfred Bartz

which linux version have build in NAT

Post by Tim Hayn » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

[snippety]

Quote:> search for ``masquerade'' (Linux name for NAT)

Just something that cropped up in another group recently - how accurate is
it to say that masquerading is
        a) NAT
        b) a form (subset) of NAT
        c) a close cousin of NAT
?

I'm thinking particularly of a contrast with, e.g. tunnelvision from
worldvisions.ca, which takes a LAN and uses ethertap to 'convert' it to a
single-port TCP connection and unpacks it at the other end.

~Tim
--
| Geek Code: GCS dpu s-:+ a-- C++++ UBLUAVHSC++++ P+++ L++ E--- W+++(--) N++
| w--- O- M-- V-- PS PGP++ t--- X+(-) b D+ G e++(*) h++(*) r--- y-
| The sun is melting over the hills,         | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org/

which linux version have build in NAT

Post by Simo » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Wouldn't it be easier to use Squid as a proxy cache and point all your
browsers on the network at the proxy....

Simon

> hi any ideal which linux version have build in NAT for Internet sharing,
how
> do I configure it
> recently got cable modem, I wanna to use linux as Router,So that all my
> other 2 PC can surf net as well. rather goin to purchase a expansive
Router

> 10q

> --
> http://www.classicalmusic.per.sg

which linux version have build in NAT

Post by Steve Co » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

NAT is implemented as masquarading within the ipchains rules (!)
I think all linux distros come with ipchains and would be easy
to download if they didn't.

If you are going to do internet sharing, you must consider setting up
some kind of firewall for protection - ipchains will do this to:

check out www.linux-firewall-tools.com/linux

> hi any ideal which linux version have build in NAT for Internet sharing,
how
> do I configure it
> recently got cable modem, I wanna to use linux as Router,So that all my
> other 2 PC can surf net as well. rather goin to purchase a expansive
Router

> 10q

> --
> http://www.classicalmusic.per.sg

which linux version have build in NAT

Post by Manfred Bart » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi Tim,

> [snippety]

> > search for ``masquerade'' (Linux name for NAT)

> Just something that cropped up in another group recently - how accurate is
> it to say that masquerading is
>         a) NAT
>         b) a form (subset) of NAT
>         c) a close cousin of NAT
> ?

> I'm thinking particularly of a contrast with, e.g. tunnelvision from
> worldvisions.ca, which takes a LAN and uses ethertap to 'convert' it to a
> single-port TCP connection and unpacks it at the other end.

Haven't heard of that one.  It probably is meant to tunnel a private
network through the Internet?

And yes, there are many interpretations of NAT.  AFAIK, Cisco have a
form of NAT which on demand dynamically maps a pool of Internet
addresses to a much larger pool of hosts in a private subnet.  By that
definition, Linux IP masquerading would only be a small subset of NAT.

I am just taking the liberty of interpreting NAT literally -- and
Linux IP masquerading *does* Network Address Translation, even if its
all through a single Internet IP address.   :)

Cheers
--
Manfred Bartz

which linux version have build in NAT

Post by Tim Hayn » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > Just something that cropped up in another group recently - how accurate is
> > it to say that masquerading is
> >         a) NAT
> >         b) a form (subset) of NAT
> >         c) a close cousin of NAT
> > ?

> > I'm thinking particularly of a contrast with, e.g. tunnelvision from
> > worldvisions.ca, which takes a LAN and uses ethertap to 'convert' it to a
> > single-port TCP connection and unpacks it at the other end.

> Haven't heard of that one.  It probably is meant to tunnel a private
> network through the Internet?

Yep. Exactly what I used it for, and it's as simple as:
        # tunnelv 9999                # listener
        # tunnelv remotebox 9999      # client
so you only have one port to forward through ssh if you want.[i]

Quote:> And yes, there are many interpretations of NAT.  AFAIK, Cisco have a form
> of NAT which on demand dynamically maps a pool of Internet addresses to a
> much larger pool of hosts in a private subnet.  By that definition, Linux
> IP masquerading would only be a small subset of NAT.

Right. Fair does :)

Quote:> I am just taking the liberty of interpreting NAT literally -- and Linux
> IP masquerading *does* Network Address Translation, even if its all
> through a single Internet IP address.  :)

Yeah, I was thinking of something that takes "a network" and "translates"
it (or encapsulates, for that matter, same difference) - it can happen in
one or two different ways. It's a 1-way (many-to-1) system (at least
ideally) anyway.  In my ignorance I tend to settle for somewhere between
options "b" and "c" above, myself :)

~Tim

Footnotes:
[i]  [home with masquerading firewall]-->ssh-->[box 1]-->-ssh-->[network2]
ie double-bounce with ssh. That's suitably secure... and perverse ;)

--
| Geek Code: GCS dpu s-:+ a-- C++++ UBLUAVHSC++++ P+++ L++ E--- W+++(--) N++
| w--- O- M-- V-- PS PGP++ t--- X+(-) b D+ G e++(*) h++(*) r--- y-
| The sun is melting over the hills,         | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org/

1. building linux from scratch without having linux installed

Im interested in making a linux system from scratch but I dont have any
machines with linux installed on it. I have the really olde version 0.01
linux kernel and the olde 0.96c version and I want to install one of them on
my 386 (sx 20,40MbHD,4MbRAM) to have a fiddle. I dont have linux installed
on any of my systems yet (will be remedied as soon as i get more HD space or
as soon as I learn how to peice togather a good linux system) and all the
LFS and from-boot-to-bash-HOWTO files are angled from people who have linux
installed already.
  Im unfortunatly running windoze 98 :P and i have DJGPP and like i
meantioned above, the 0.01 and 0.96c kernel sources handy.
Note, I tried to use MAKE with it in DJGPP but i dont have and cant find a
MSDOS version of GAS.

my main system im using is a 486-133Mhz, 32MbRAM and 800MbHD
Thanks in advance

2. HPT374 controller

4. Perl Adduser Script

5. shell built ins

6. kde2 does not resume after suspend

7. Subject: Ksh93 question: special built-ins: why are they special?

8. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

9. Shells and built-ins

10. : Building a Linux Firewall with NAT and QoS

11. nat'ed gatway having problems displaying certain webpages

12. NAT-T (NAT Traversal) support for Linux