Replace Netware 3.12 with Linux?

Post by Steve Harpe » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

We are running Netware 3.12 at my office with 16 users, 10 base T.  Or
workstations are running Win95.  Documents are stored on the server.

I've read many articles about Linux, but nowhere have I seen what type of
files it can handle if used for document storage.  Could Linux replace the
Novell operating system we're currently using?

At the moment this is a stand-alone system, but it will be linked thru frame
relay to a Microsoft Exchange server soon.  Any problems there?

If there is an article discussing this topic out "there" please point me too
it.

Thanks,
Steve Harper
Fayetteville, NC

Post by James Kno » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>We are running Netware 3.12 at my office with 16 users, 10 base T.  Or
>workstations are running Win95.  Documents are stored on the server.

>I've read many articles about Linux, but nowhere have I seen what type of
>files it can handle if used for document storage.  Could Linux replace the
>Novell operating system we're currently using?

Any file that you could store on Novell or your W95 disk, can be
stored on a Linux or other server.  Also, there is a Linux version of
a Novell 4 server available

The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of
IBM Canada Ltd.

1. Linux to replace Netware 3.12

Hi,
    I need to replace a Netware 3.12 box.  We don't use the accounting
or security.  We only need to feed files.  Can this be done with SAMBA
or is there another package to emulate Netware.  Thanks for any help.

Don Tonks

2. mkswap fails on loopback device

3. Replacing Netware 3.12 TCP/IP (RIP) router with Linux 2.2

4. Screen Clear.....

5. netware 3.12 and linux

6. Module problems with 2.1.32 kernel

7. Linux E-Mail Server on a Netware 3.12 Network

8. ftp directory tree

9. Novell Netware 3.12 and LINUX ??

10. Linux & Netware 3.12 NFS

11. Linux & Netware 3.12