How do I host website with my domain?

Post by tHatDudeU » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 07:43:19

Sorry if this has been asked a million times. I always thought a domain just
re-directed to an IP address. However, I just registered a domain with
www.ukreg.com and this only allows me to put in a primary and secondary DNS
address. (Currently using their re-direction service)

What addresses do I need to put in and what general things do I need to do
on my Redhat (Yarrow) linux box. I also wish to run an e-mail server. Any
noobie guide site links would be good.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

tHatDudeUK.

How do I host website with my domain?

Post by tHatDudeU » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:01:35

My guess is my linux server runs a DNS server app which has the DNS name set
to my domain address. I use a static IP and put my ISP's primary and
secondary DNS server addresses into my domain configuration.

Please give me some feedback on my guess :-)

Thanks in advance

Regards

tHatDudeUK

Post by Bob Tennen » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:05:40

 > Sorry if this has been asked a million times. I always thought a domain just
 > re-directed to an IP address. However, I just registered a domain with
 > www.ukreg.com and this only allows me to put in a primary and secondary DNS
 > address. (Currently using their re-direction service)
 >
 > What addresses do I need to put in and what general things do I need to do
 > on my Redhat (Yarrow) linux box. I also wish to run an e-mail server. Any
 > noobie guide site links would be good.

On your Linux box you need a web server: apache is the usual one (httpd
packages on RedHat) but there are lighter-weight ones available such as
thttpd.

To get your domain directed to your Linux box, the crucial issue is
whether you have a static or dynamic IP. If the former, simply tell your
DNS server admin what it is. If the latter, you will need to interact
with something like zoneedit or dyndns to keep your domain in sync with
your changing IP address.

e-mail server to whom?  You probably just want sendmail and you probably
*don't* want to allow everyone on the internet to be able to use it.

Bob T.

How do I host website with my domain?

Post by tHatDudeU » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:24:05

Quote:> To get your domain directed to your Linux box, the crucial issue is
> whether you have a static or dynamic IP. If the former, simply tell your
> DNS server admin what it is. If the latter, you will need to interact
> with something like zoneedit or dyndns to keep your domain in sync with
> your changing IP address.

Thank you for your reply.

I have a static IP address but who is my DNS server admin? How do the DNS
server addresses I configure my domain with (using my domain registars
control panel) end up at my IP address?

Quote:> e-mail server to whom?  You probably just want sendmail and you probably
> *don't* want to allow everyone on the internet to be able to use it.

I'd like to be able to run a basic pop3 e-mail server so I can receive

Post by Bob Tennen » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:58:08

 >> simply tell your
 >> DNS server admin what it is.
 >
 > I have a static IP address but who is my DNS server admin? How do the DNS
 > server addresses I configure my domain with (using my domain registars
 > control panel) end up at my IP address?

Better find out from your domain registrar.

 >> e-mail server to whom?  You probably just want sendmail and you probably
 >> *don't* want to allow everyone on the internet to be able to use it.
 >
 > I'd like to be able to run a basic pop3 e-mail server so I can receive

If e-mail to the domain mydomain.co.uk is directed to your box, sendmail
will receive mail and distribute it to users on your box.

Post by wesle » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 12:35:13

> Sorry if this has been asked a million times. I always thought a domain just
> re-directed to an IP address. However, I just registered a domain with
> www.ukreg.com and this only allows me to put in a primary and secondary DNS
> address. (Currently using their re-direction service)

> What addresses do I need to put in and what general things do I need to do
> on my Redhat (Yarrow) linux box. I also wish to run an e-mail server. Any
> noobie guide site links would be good.

1. The company you registered your domain with should provide a way for
you to change and update your A, C and MX records and authorative DNS
servers. You should use the DNS servers they provide unless you have a
good reason (unlikely) to do otherwise.

2. To run a web server, your best bet is to use Apache since that is
included with your Redhat release.

3. For an email server, I would recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail.
Postfix is included with your Redhat release (though you may have to
install the RPM) and Postfix is easier to configure and more stable in my
opinion. (Sendmail can be a real bear to configure - a definite minus for
any new Linux user.)

4. Look for the specific How-To's and Man pages for Apache and Postfix.
Redhat's documentation is as good as anyones and better than most. Both
are relatively easy to configure as long as your setup is fairly
straightforward (i.e., one web/mail site without virtual hosts, multiple
domains, etc.)

5. If you are behind a DSL/Cable router or other firewall, you may need to
consult additional documentation in order to open up access to the correct
ports on the server.

-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

How do I host website with my domain?

Post by tHatDudeU » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 12:49:20

Quote:> 1. The company you registered your domain with should provide a way for
> you to change and update your A, C and MX records and authorative DNS
> servers. You should use the DNS servers they provide unless you have a

Many thanks for your reply. The above bit is the one I'm most worried about.
I think I have seen that someone has got ukreg.com to use their IP address
so I guess they must do more than simply allow you to change the DNS
servers. I guess my next step is to approach UK reg and ask them... Why
can't someone make this all easy :-)

Post by wesle » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 13:11:02

>> 1. The company you registered your domain with should provide a way for
>> you to change and update your A, C and MX records and authorative DNS
>> servers. You should use the DNS servers they provide unless you have a

> Many thanks for your reply. The above bit is the one I'm most worried
> about. I think I have seen that someone has got ukreg.com to use their
> IP address so I guess they must do more than simply allow you to change
> the DNS servers. I guess my next step is to approach UK reg and ask
> them... Why can't someone make this all easy :-)

Here's an example; I have a couple of web sites through register.com. They
provide a nice web-based "Domain Manager" interface that allows you to
change the noted items (and handle some other chores.)

When you register a domain through them, they automatically assign you one
of their IP addresses and give you a small web page area to build in. I
simply changed my A/C/MX records from their IP to mine and left their DNS
servers as authorative.

Example, when you change the A record on an existing web site to a new
server, there may be other DNS servers out there with the old address. The
"authorative DNS server" is the one that is presumed to have the most
up-to-date, correct IP address, so it is the one used if two DNS servers
disagree. It normally takes about 24 hours for any change in the records
to ripple through the internet so that all DNS servers have the correct IP
for your web site.

-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

How do I host website with my domain?

Post by tHatDudeU » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 13:55:32

Quote:> I
> simply changed my A/C/MX records from their IP to mine and left their DNS
> servers as authorative.

For some reason my registrar doesn't have those features.:( I have found
something called www.zoneedit.com I think I need to use the services of
something like that. All too confusing for me :-S

Post by Dirk » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:39:33

> > simply changed my A/C/MX records from their IP to mine and left their
DNS
> > servers as authorative.

> For some reason my registrar doesn't have those features.:( I have found
> something called www.zoneedit.com I think I need to use the services of
> something like that. All too confusing for me :-S

There are three things to do to get your web pages appearing at the domain
name...

1. register the domain name. this is like owning it. the registrar doesnt
actually do much, they
   just let the DNS root servers know where your domain name server is

2. pay for DNS hosting/management,  or run named t yourself. your ISP may
become a secondary off your primary.

This is good for reliability, and also because you need to have two DNS
servers to put into the website for 1. when you tell registrar at 1 to get
dns pages from IP address blah, this is called 'delegation'.

3. DNS entires for www, MX  ..

4. Web server correctly set up - you need to have the pages loaded, and the
web server ready to supply those pages. when requests for your domain arrive
at it. you can do that yourself, or use  a web host

Often your web host will do the DNS hosting for you, they may provide a Web
based  access to the DNS page5.  so you can edit it.

5. reverse DNS on your IP address is up to your ISP, who owns the IP
address...

How do I host website with my domain?

Post by Dan » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:33:41

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:43:19 -0000, "tHatDudeUK"

>Sorry if this has been asked a million times. I always thought a domain just
>re-directed to an IP address. However, I just registered a domain with
>www.ukreg.com and this only allows me to put in a primary and secondary DNS
>address. (Currently using their re-direction service)

You need a DNS name server that's authorative for your domain.

Go to www.zoneedit.com.  Create a free account and add your domain to
it.  Configure your domain with the ip address of your web server.
You will be given the names of the primary and secondary name servers
for that domain.

the name servers that you got from zoneedit.com.

Wait 24 to 72 hours for the dns info to propogate the internet.  Don't
expect your name to reliably resolve to your ip address until after
that time.

Dan

How do I host website with my domain?

Post by tHatDudeU » Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:21:16

Quote:> You need a DNS name server that's authorative for your domain.

> Go to www.zoneedit.com.  Create a free account and add your domain to
> it.  Configure your domain with the ip address of your web server.
> You will be given the names of the primary and secondary name servers
> for that domain.

> the name servers that you got from zoneedit.com.

> Wait 24 to 72 hours for the dns info to propogate the internet.  Don't
> expect your name to reliably resolve to your ip address until after
> that time.

Thanx for your reply. You have been very helpful. I'll remember about
zoneedit and try and simplify things by getting my web server up and
running, and using dyndns and see where I go from there :)