Help on doing 2 NICs channel bonding

Post by juvenal.. » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to configure 2 identical NIC adapters on a server
to work as a single one on Linux (kernel 2.2.16). I have 2 NIC (Intel
EtherExpress 10/100) and a switcher already configured, but I can't find
info on how to configure the Linux server to work with the 2 NICs as
one.
I'm waiting any help ASAP.

Cheers,

Juvenal A. Silva Jr

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Steve Co » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Can anyone tell me how to configure 2 identical NIC adapters on a server
> to work as a single one on Linux (kernel 2.2.16). I have 2 NIC (Intel
> EtherExpress 10/100) and a switcher already configured, but I can't find
> info on how to configure the Linux server to work with the 2 NICs as
> one. I'm waiting any help ASAP.

> Cheers,

> Juvenal A. Silva Jr

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.

Not muich specifics here I'm afraid but there is a kermel config
option for 2.4 kernels for this. May be worth investigating.

Help on doing 2 NICs channel bonding

Post by juvenal.. » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Not muich specifics here I'm afraid but there is a kermel config
> option for 2.4 kernels for this. May be worth investigating.

There's nothing with kernel 2.2.16? No other option?
I have to put a real big server with RAID5 hardware controller and lots
of HD space to be shared by everyone. I need a fast connection ASAP.

Post by dougla » Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Can anyone tell me how to configure 2 identical NIC adapters on a server
> to work as a single one on Linux (kernel 2.2.16). I have 2 NIC (Intel
> EtherExpress 10/100) and a switcher already configured, but I can't find
> info on how to configure the Linux server to work with the 2 NICs as
> one.
> I'm waiting any help ASAP.

> Cheers,

> Juvenal A. Silva Jr

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Enclosed is a copy of a response I got when I asked the same type of
question.  Hope it helps.  I did it and yes it works

************
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: binding two NICs

Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:19:42 +0200

> Is it conceivable to put two 10T NICs in a
> Linux server and have them bind together on the same (or different)
> IP to share the load?

Yes.

(a) Different IP's (possibly different networks):
    Your clients will have to be aware of the difference, so it's
    only OK when they may really be put on two separate networks
    with the Linux box serving as a gateway between them. Which is
    often the case, as a matter of fact.

    On the server, you will need to set up routes to both networks.

(b) Same IP's:
    You will need to recompile your kernel with advanced router
    option enabled and then "equal cost multipath".

    I'd suggest allowing both cards to share exactly the same work,
    i.e., no division such as eth0 for reads, eth1 for writes.

    The cards may then be connected to the same segment of the
    network, or to two different ones. In the latter case, routing
    will have to be done, with routes specyfying the interface as
    well as IP.

    If you put both cards on the same network segment, you will
    presumably connect them to the same router. Then the router
    capacity will be the potential limiting factor of just how
    successful this setup is.

Quote:> If NIC binding is possible is it a good idea?

Sure, if you need more bandwidth.

*******************

Post by ttming.. » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> > Not muich specifics here I'm afraid but there is a kermel config
> > option for 2.4 kernels for this. May be worth investigating.

> There's nothing with kernel 2.2.16? No other option?
> I have to put a real big server with RAID5 hardware controller and lots
> of HD space to be shared by everyone. I need a fast connection ASAP.
> I'm waiting any help ASAP.

> Cheers,

> Juvenal A. Silva Jr.

Use red hat 6.2, look for channel bonding, the howto contain information

ports(2NIC, intel pro) to for one channel for my linux server in my school,
essentially you need the linux driver of the particular nic, and a switch
that has link aggregation and the proper configuration.

Quote:> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by yeaknais.. » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Can anyone tell me how to configure 2 identical NIC adapters on a server
> to work as a single one on Linux (kernel 2.2.16). I have 2 NIC (Intel
> EtherExpress 10/100) and a switcher already configured, but I can't find
> info on how to configure the Linux server to work with the 2 NICs as
> one.
> I'm waiting any help ASAP.

> Cheers,

> Juvenal A. Silva Jr

Have just done it 2 weeks ago.

The requirement:
1. Kernel that support bonding. I used Red Hat
Linux 6.2.
2. Switch that support bonding as well.
3. Ethernet driver. This is usually not an issue.
If you use Linux, you should have your network card
detected.

Here is my config, I hope it is self-explanatory.

First read this,
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt

The is the docs, from "kernel-source" package.

And this is my current configuration. Notice that
the current kernel from Red Hat only allow one
bond0 logical interface. And it is only round-
robin. You notice that I only set the IP for the
"bond0" interface. The rest of the ethernet cards
(currently unlimited) only specify that it is part
of "bond0" group. Have fun bonding all your
cards... :-)

scripts/ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.63.255
IPADDR=192.168.1.251
NETMASK=255.255.192.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=yes

scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no

scripts/ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no

scripts/ifcfg-eth2
DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no

Post by Harri Haataj » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Use red hat 6.2, look for channel bonding, the howto contain information

> ports(2NIC, intel pro) to for one channel for my linux server in my school,
> essentially you need the linux driver of the particular nic, and a switch
> that has link aggregation and the proper configuration.

Is there a list of such switches or names for protocols or standards
that they would use?
HP Advancestacks have trunking and some other features but don't know if
that's their own stuff for sw2sw only.

1. Channel Bonding help needed

I am trying to set up channel bonding on kernel 2.0.36 (Soon to be 2.2.0)
and am having some problems.  First, here is the page I am going by...
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/beowulf/bonding.html

First, I got both files.  I patched the kernel, and one 'hunk' failed... at
1122 if that means anything.  I did a make config, and got the Beowulf
cluster option, which I answered with YES.

Next, I tried to compile the ifenslave.c per its tail comment...
compile-command: "gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O ifenslave.c -o ifenslave"

This gives a bunch of warnings and does not create a command named
'ifenslave'.

This is the final component needed to have a viable alternative to our
Netware servers, so ANY help here would help greatly...

What am I doing wrong??

Jeff

2. File locking

3. help with RHEL 3.0 NIC Bonding / 802.1 Vlan issues

4. DECnet support?

5. ethernet channel bonding update

6. Matrox Millennium X Server

7. Ethernet Channel Bonding???

8. MUCHO MUCHO DINERO

9. 3Com I-Modem Channel Bonding?

10. which physical adaptor's MAC address is exposed after channel bonding?

11. Linux channel bonding

12. Ethernet channel bonding

13. channel bonding question(s)